Booking the flight, how do you know if your to 'big' for 1 seat ?

Ok so I've booked my surgery date for April 17th, I don't know why but my biggest worry is not the actual surgery, it's the flight there and back! The last time I flew was a few years ago, and about 40lbs lighter. I had no problem fitting into a seat but was somewhat uncomfortable. I wanted to travel alone but came to the decision in bringing along my mother so that way she sits next to me( and not a stranger who may complain that im alittle over on his side). My question is how do tell if your to 'large' to fit in a seat, is it required to purchase a 2nd seat if that's the case? Thank you and any comment or advice is greatly appreciated :)

Ok so I've booked my surgery date for April 17th, I don't know why but my biggest worry is not the actual surgery, it's the flight there and back! The last time I flew was a few years ago, and about 40lbs lighter. I had no problem fitting into a seat but was somewhat uncomfortable. I wanted to travel alone but came to the decision in bringing along my mother so that way she sits next to me( and not a stranger who may complain that im alittle over on his side). My question is how do tell if your to 'large' to fit in a seat, is it required to purchase a 2nd seat if that's the case? Thank you and any comment or advice is greatly appreciated :)

Here is a good article on the topic for you

http://seniortravel.about.com/od/airtravel/a/SeatBeltLengths.htm

I am 5'10 and last time I flew 290 with most of my weight in the middle and it was fine I didn't need an extender. If you are flying with your mom and she is sitting next to you even if you needed an extender you shouldn't have to purchase another seat as she is part of your party.

Yea , thanks for that link. It always helps to know in advance just in case. My fear is getting on the plane and then being told in front of everybody I need to buy a second seat because I'm 'too large' .... As much as this embarrasses me to talk about, this will become one less thing to worry about after my VSG :) thanks again