Hello Im new here and I am considering VSG or Plication. I have never heard of the Plication until I started researching the Lap Band (which I almost decided on) but I was concerned with having the band and port inside me and haveing to get fills, possible slipping. I contacted OCC for information on plication and after speaking with Carolyn she mentioned that I may want to do VSG instead of Plication. Now after almost making my mind up for Plication I am stuck between the 2. VSG or Plication. I have always had a bigger build from playing sports but my bmi is high due to my weight to height ratio. Im 5'5 and weigh 314 lb. What are some of your reasons for choosing one over the other and have any of you went the financing route? How did it all work out and which lender did you use? Im just trying to weigh the options before making my final decision, mixture of nerves, confusion, just ready to make a change.

Thanks for any info

I am choosing VSG because for me, I didn't like part of my stomach being folded in. That just sounded a little too much outside the norm of how my stomach should be formed. This is just my opinion and isn't based on any research just sorta a gut feeling for me. I want to say I have seen research that VSG patients are more successful and come closer to loosing all the weight they want to loose. The VSG is also an older procedure so there is more history of successes, complications etc. In regards to financing, I went through my local bank for a loan. The interest rate was much lower and I didn't have to pay the extra fee. Hope that helps!

Keep us posted on your journey!

I am choosing VSG because for me, I didn't like part of my stomach being folded in. That just sounded a little too much outside the norm of how my stomach should be formed. This is just my opinion and isn't based on any research just sorta a gut feeling for me. I want to say I have seen research that VSG patients are more successful and come closer to loosing all the weight they want to loose. The VSG is also an older procedure so there is more history of successes, complications etc. In regards to financing, I went through my local bank for a loan. The interest rate was much lower and I didn't have to pay the extra fee. Hope that helps!

Hey BigD! Same as previous post, it was through researching about a year and ultimately my gut telling me which path to take, that being VSG. Imagine that, my gut told me something other than "Feed me!". I'm very confident in my decision and haven't second guessed even once. I'm a week away from my surgery and so very excited :)

• Like 1

Hello Im new here and I am considering VSG or Plication. I have never heard of the Plication until I started researching the Lap Band (which I almost decided on) but I was concerned with having the band and port inside me and haveing to get fills, possible slipping. I contacted OCC for information on plication and after speaking with Carolyn she mentioned that I may want to do VSG instead of Plication. Now after almost making my mind up for Plication I am stuck between the 2. VSG or Plication. I have always had a bigger build from playing sports but my bmi is high due to my weight to height ratio. Im 5'5 and weigh 314 lb. What are some of your reasons for choosing one over the other and have any of you went the financing route? How did it all work out and which lender did you use? Im just trying to weigh the options before making my final decision, mixture of nerves, confusion, just ready to make a change.

Thanks for any info

Hi...

I had Revision surgery with Dr. Ortiz last September. He removed my lapband and did the Vertical Sleeve. My starting weight was 297 in January 2012... I lost 40 pounds on the pre-op diet... so surgery weight was 257. And now, I am 8 months out from my surgery and at 183! Dr. Miranda set my goal weight at 185... so, if I can do it.....I'm sure you can do it!

It has been the best thing that I have done for myself. And Dr. Ortiz and his staff are the very best! I wish you all the very best of luck! And I know everything will go smoothly for you!

Another place for good information... which is where I did most of my research... is verticalsleevetalk.com

Cheers, Dottie