Hoping to have Surgery in January

I have done a lot of research and thinking and planning for this. I have struggled with my weight for the past 15 years and am totally ready to get in control. As everyone knows how much stress this puts on a person. I want to be happy with ME! I am wanting to go in January but I'm not too sure if anyone will be coming with me, not because I don't have support but that's just how things go. I'm a little nervous about travelling by myself I have been reading other people's post and learned I'm not alone with this problem. I just don't want to have to depend on someone else's schedule, it has to be when it's good for me. I enjoy reading everyone's post, keep em coming!!!

Hi... I have a very similar situation.. I'm new to the blogs and forum.. And I too have been considering this trip for some time now.. I'm not sure when but I pray it some time soon or before January.. I plan to apply for my passport soon.. Step1.. Please stay in touch..MsMo

I traveled alone and had no problems. I probably would have gotten out and about more after surgery if I had a travel mate, but otherwise it was fine. I wasn't nervous about traveling alone,but I am a pretty independent person and often travel on my own.

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning my surgery in January, too. (coming in from Idaho) really wish I could do it sooner, but that's the best time that works for my work schedule. I was originally planning on going alone, but have had a few freak out moments when I think I might want a friendly face who's "got my back", but still not sure. The friend i have in mind would be flying in from Florida, so not really a travel companion. in any case, keep me posted on your plans.....maybe we could be "surgery buddies".

• Like 1

I was sleeved by Dr. Ortiz on June 10th this summer and it has been a wonderful journey. I have had no pain or nausea at all! It's been 12 weeks today and I am down 58 pounds! I also traveled alone and it was heaven! I'm a single mom to an 8 year old so I was glad to rest, watch TV, nap and walk around without worrying about someone else's schedule or answering any questions. There are plenty of other sleevers to make friends with too. The Marriott and the OCC will take excellent care of you. Dr. Ortiz is an excellent surgeon and I am convinced his expertise is what makes the journey so smooth for his patients!

• 2 months later...

I'm travelling from Canada to Mexico for the surgery and I'm looking for info about being able to claim the surgery on my income tax return does anyone have info on this?

I don't know about Canada, but I listed it in the medical expense section of the US1040. You can also wrote off airfare, hotel expense, food and etc.

I was sleeved by Dr. Ortiz on June 10th this summer and it has been a wonderful journey. I have had no pain or nausea at all! It's been 12 weeks today and I am down 58 pounds! I also traveled alone and it was heaven! I'm a single mom to an 8 year old so I was glad to rest, watch TV, nap and walk around without worrying about someone else's schedule or answering any questions. There are plenty of other sleevers to make friends with too. The Marriott and the OCC will take excellent care of you. Dr. Ortiz is an excellent surgeon and I am convinced his expertise is what makes the journey so smooth for his patients!

Guatemama, Congrats on your surgery and your success so far! I'm curious - what did you do with your things like your phone and wallet and things when you were in surgery? Did they lock them up for you or something? It looks like at this point I will be traveling alone in february for my surgery.

Also, how did you feel after your surgery? I'm thinking of staying a few extra days out in california and site seeing. Nothing too exausting, just something light like maybe riding one of those trolley tours. Do you think you'd feel up to that?

Hey Chechelrachel - I wondered what to do with my things too but I just put them in my suitcase and they were fine!

After my surgery I felt fine! I actually slept until about 9:00 that night, woke up and went right back to sleep. Woke up at midnight, texted my family and went right back to sleep. I walked out the next morning without any pain or nauseousness at all! I think you would feel up to a few things after surgery. I had my surgery on Monday and Wednesday I walked to the market a couple streets over from the OCC and back. Dr. Ortiz is an excellent surgeon and I am 100% convinced his expertise is what makes his patients have an easy journey!

Don't be nervous, you are in great hands! I am 5 and a half months out and am down 75 pounds! :) I actually am IN our Christmas card picture for the first time ever!