Still Thinking About It...

Hi you guys... I've been considering the Sleeve all summer now. I researched it for over a year and I've saved even longer to pay for it here in the US, but the cost is overwhelming.. And it seems like it's taking me forever to get there.. So I'm really considering TJ.. Nervous Yes.. Do I want to? Yes but I'm simply overwhelmed with all the negative information out there.. Ughhh somebody help.. Next step is getting my passport.. I pray I'm going on the right direction..

I have also done a lot of research and am saving money also. I was a little nervous about Mexico at first but after research I don't think I would go anywhere else for this procedure. I know lots of people that have gone to Mexico for WLS and they say they got the best care and Mexico has the most state of the art facilities. Hope this helps. When were you thinking of going?

• Like 1

I had sleeve surgery in Mexico at the OCC on August 2nd. I have no regrets. I am someone who has never had surgery before, so I was a bit nervous to start. The surgery was a breeze and my recovery has gone very well. My surgery was on a Friday, I flew back to the states on Monday, and was back at work on Tuesday. I feel great and my only regret is that I waited so long to do get the procedure.

• Like 3

Well I plan to purchase my passport first and wait until it returns.. I believe the process time is around 4-6 weeks. After that I plan to schedule the surgery.. I've been so nervous about the trip/procedure that I forgot all about the need for a passport.. I was also looking into another hospital/clinic in TJ but I think this is going to work best for me.. I don't count that research wasted.. Just think OCC maybe a better choice at this time! So maybe mid- October or prayerfully before...

• Like 1

I had my surgery at the OCC on June 10th and have NO regrets at all! Dr. Ortiz is awesome and had better care there than here in the US. I am truly convinced his experience makes the journey so smooth for his patients. I never had any pain or nauseousness. I woke up the next morning and walked out no problems at all! I was a tiny bit sore at the incisions but that's it! I also went alone which was heavenly! It was a mini vacation for me. I rested and did only what I wanted and didn't have anyone to answer to! It's been 10 weeks today and as of Saturday I'm down 50.5 pounds!

If I can answer any questions, please ask. I'm happy to share and answer any questions you have.

• Like 1

Hi There I was sleeved by Dr. Ortiz on August 2nd like Oona. I have zero regrets and so glad I made the choice to go to Mexico. When my insurane wouldnt cover it here, I asked my doc about MX. He said if you go, go to Dr. Ortiz. My doc here had some training under him and had gone to conference where he has been and was 100% confident in him. All reservations went out the window and I booked my surgery. There is risk in any surgery, its important to follow the post op diet and recommendations. I have received pretty prompt replies to any questions or requests I've sent OCC post op. Everyones recovery experience is different, but I feel great and at 3 weeks have most of energy back.

There has been a lot of talk out there about Doctors at home refusing to see you for followup care. I havn't experienced that at all. Both my bariatric doctor and my family practioner have been fine. Maybe try consulting with local doctors first and hopefully you will eventually find one who is open to seeing you for followups.

If anyone needs a recommendation for California - Bay Area I have a great doc for followups!!

Good Luck and reach out with any questions.

• Like 4

Thanks Ckesty. I have been told I will need to pay a 500.00 deposit from my Bariatric dr for him to see me when I come back and my Family Dr.. Well she doesn't have a problem with meeting my follow up needs! It's sad that the insurance company can exclude what they want and leave you hanging... And I have "Good Insurance" Ha... I'm waiting for my passport and then I will start booking my trip... Again thanks!

about your Dr's follow up care. I didn't go to a Bariatric dr when I came home. There was NO need at all. I just did my follow up and blood work with my primary care Dr. She billed my insurance as I was having a physical at the same time and needed the blood work :)

• Like 1

My name is April and 2 years ago I went to OCC and I got the band.,.... I now know that with all that I am going threw and the fact that no one wants to give me fills cause I got it in mexico I should have gone with the sleeve.... I have been considering going back in November and having the sleeve done...... I was very nervous at first but I can not believe the friendly people and the care you get.... and it took like maybe 15 min and I was in and out and the lap band was in,,,,, My husband went last time but I feel I will go bye my self this time..... if you need some one to talk to let me know or who knows maybe I will see you in November!!!!!

april

• Like 2

My name is April and 2 years ago I went to OCC and I got the band.,.... I now know that with all that I am going threw and the fact that no one wants to give me fills cause I got it in mexico I should have gone with the sleeve.... I have been considering going back in November and having the sleeve done...... I was very nervous at first but I can not believe the friendly people and the care you get.... and it took like maybe 15 min and I was in and out and the lap band was in,,,,, My husband went last time but I feel I will go bye my self this time..... if you need some one to talk to let me know or who knows maybe I will see you in November!!!!!

april

Thanks Apey223... I was considering the Band at 1ST but then was told to not do it.. becuse of the "Fills" So I decided on the Sleeve.. I've applied for my passport and I think I will be there at the end of October maybe the 1st Friday in November... I super excited.. Haven't schduled yet but I've been communicating with staff... And again thanks for all the support and advice!

I traveled to Tijuana in February...I had VSG surgery and have lost 71 lbs so far and plan to lose 92 total. I feel wonderful. Had a great travel experience - felt safe - was pleased with the OCC staff while in TJ and how well they answered questions once I was home. You are welcome to check out my blog where it talks all about my surgery experience. Good luck!

www.hoosierfatty.wordpress.com

January To August 2013

• Like 2

I also got the sleeve on August 2nd, and so far have lost 38 lbs.t's been 5 weeks 3 days and just started water aerobics and riding my mountain bike! Can't wait til i can do crunches and squats. Am able to keep down so much more water now and food.Almost at my 40 day on Sept 11th. Just back from a weekend road trip n San Francisco and didn't gain a lb! My Drs have been super supportive no nausea or pain.Go for it, your whole life will change! Also am never hungry but still make myself eat! Great News ! My Dr has taken me off all blood pressure medicine , he says I no longer need it!'ve only had to take my diabetes med 5 times since I've been home and only half of It 2.5 mg !

• Like 1

I traveled to Tijuana in February...I had VSG surgery and have lost 71 lbs so far and plan to lose 92 total. I feel wonderful. Had a great travel experience - felt safe - was pleased with the OCC staff while in TJ and how well they answered questions once I was home. You are welcome to check out my blog where it talks all about my surgery experience. Good luck!

www.hoosierfatty.wordpress.com

Thanks for the info! And because of all of you guys support and responses I have book my surgery and made my deposit! I'm scheduled for October 18th... Super EXCITED...

I also got the sleeve on August 2nd, and so far have lost 38 lbs.t's been 5 weeks 3 days and just started water aerobics and riding my mountain bike! Can't wait til i can do crunches and squats. Am able to keep down so much more water now and food.Almost at my 40 day on Sept 11th. Just back from a weekend road trip n San Francisco and didn't gain a lb! My Drs have been super supportive no nausea or pain.Go for it, your whole life will change! Also am never hungry but still make myself eat! Great News ! My Dr has taken me off all blood pressure medicine , he says I no longer need it!'ve only had to take my diabetes med 5 times since I've been home and only half of It 2.5 mg !

I'm looking forward to coming of some "Meds" as well... Super Excited!! Thank you do much! I will be there October 17-21.. So just keep me in your prayers you guys... So happy I'm not "Still Thinking About It" I've made the moves to do it... Now I have to complete this paper work..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

april

I was banded by Dr Ortiz in March 2010. Wonderful experience. No problems with fills in New Orleans, but then I moved to West Texas. Any big cities 5 hours or more away (Dallas is 6 hrs away). No band care here at all unless I pay out of pocket for an inexperienced small town dr who is in network, but refuses to submit my claims to Cigna (most likely so he can collect $350 rather than the cigna negotiated rate which is probably less than $100). My insurance was covering my band maintenance in New Orleans and I had a good provider there. I moved 14 hours away from there, so going back there makes no sense. I wish I would have done the sleeve originally. But I go back to Tijuana in 2 weeks for my sleeve! I love Dr Ortiz and think he is probably the most experienced in the world at weight loss surgery. He was in Newsweek's "15 Leaders in Bariatric Surgery". If you read that article, I believe he has done more surgeries than any of the others. I feel more confident with care by him than any doctor I know in the US. I go on Nov. 7th. When are you going?

april

I was banded by Dr Ortiz in March 2010. Wonderful experience. No problems with fills in New Orleans, but then I moved to West Texas. Any big cities 5 hours or more away (Dallas is 6 hrs away). No band care here at all unless I pay out of pocket for an inexperienced small town dr who is in network, but refuses to submit my claims to Cigna (most likely so he can collect $350 rather than the cigna negotiated rate which is probably less than $100). My insurance was covering my band maintenance in New Orleans and I had a good provider there. I moved 14 hours away from there, so going back there makes no sense. I wish I would have done the sleeve originally. But I go back to Tijuana in 2 weeks for my sleeve! I love Dr Ortiz and think he is probably the most experienced in the world at weight loss surgery. He was in Newsweek's "15 Leaders in Bariatric Surgery". If you read that article, I believe he has done more surgeries than any of the others. I feel more confident with care by him than any doctor I know in the US. I go on Nov. 7th. When are you going?

• 2 months later...

Hi Ladies and Gents... I know it's been a while but I was sleeved October 18th and I doing extremely well.. Last week I had some issues with light headedness and dizzy spells but other than that I'm doing fine.. I'm sick of protein shakes but I know I have to get it in and eating my protein would be great but I don't get it in like it should through food alone.. Thank you for your support and encouragement!! The staff at OCC were great I don't remember meeting Dr. Ortiz but the Dr. That came in to greet me and talk with me was exceptional and very kind and compassionate! I'm sure Dr. O and I said hi right before I passed out..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ladies and Gents... I know it's been a while but I was sleeved October 18th and I doing extremely well.. Last week I had some issues with light headedness and dizzy spells but other than that I'm doing fine.. I'm sick of protein shakes but I know I have to get it in and eating my protein would be great but I don't get it in like it should through food alone.. Thank you for your support and encouragement!! The staff at OCC were great I don't remember meeting Dr. Ortiz but the Dr. That came in to greet me and talk with me was exceptional and very kind and compassionate! I'm sure Dr. O and I said hi right before I passed out..

How much have you lost since 10/18/13? and how many clothing sizes? I just sent in my deposit for 3/14/14