Realistic weight loss Goal?

Ok so I am hoping to have the the vertical sleeve procedure (if I can get over my fears) and I was just wondering what is a realistic goal for weight loss with the surgery. I am 5'2 and 240 lbs.

Is anyone willing to share their weight loss stats after having the VSG with Dr. Ortiz with me so I can see what is realistic?

Also for the veterans out there have you found it easier to maintain your goal weight now that you have had the surgery compared to before having the surgery or is it still a battle to maintain?

I lost 80lbs on my own but only was able to maintain it for 3 months before putting it all back on plus some :( just want to know if VSG is only a good tool for helping to loose the weight or if it also helps with maintenance? I totally get that you have to change your lifestyle and how you eat, but want to know that this will definitely be helpful "tool" before going under the knife!

fabUless,

The nutritionist will give you a goal based on your weight, height, BMI and % of fat. The goal is really about BMI and fat, not the weight on the scale. I was told my goal should be 160, but my personal goal is 148.

I just had surgery 12 days ago, and I am losing an average of 1 pound a day. Although I haven't weighed since Thursday. The amount of weight is different for everyone, and the speed at which you lose will too. If you decide to go through with it, I am sure you will feel it is worth it. I would absolutely recommend Dr. Ortiz and Obesity Control Center. Everyone there was great, and I felt like I was surrounded by highly qualified personnel from the receptionist to the two surgeons in the operating room.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be happy to tell! :) I had my surgery on June 10th of 2013 and as of today I am down 80 pounds. I started at 258 and I am 5'5". My surgery was a piece of cake and the trip to Mexico was a mini vacation. I have never been sick or needed any pain meds and I have NEVER thrown up. As of probably 2 months after my surgery I was off my blood pressure meds and cholesterol meds!

These days, I know when I am full and I stop eating! My body tends to loose a good amount, stall, gain a pound loose a pound then another good loss. I'm not exercising alot maybe once a week I make it to water aerobics, but I am so happy with my results. I've also not constantly monitored what I eat. I focus on protein, throw in a little veggies and fruit and drink water with crystal light in it! I also think the weeks I focus on starting my day with a protein shake my weight loss is better. Might be my imagination but it's an easy breakfast I throw some fruit in and it works for me. I also tend to weigh just once a week. I don't want to be obsessed with the scales and my clothes definitely show me my weight loss!

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Laurie

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I had my surgery on November 5, 2013!!! Absolutely love it!!! It was very hard at first getting use to your new habits and such....but since surgery I've lost 35 lbs plus during preop I lost 19 so 54 total and at the one month mark a total of 34.5" all over!!!

I take my vitamins in daily have a hard time with the shakes since surgery so I try to get protein from other sources!!

Try not to be scared it is fabulous in Mexico and you are so greatly taken care of!!! The staff are amazing and the hotel is fabulous!!!

I also have never felt sick or nauseated never vomited!!! It's awesome best decision I've ever made!!

• Like 2