Worrying About... Heartburn!

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new here. I'm scheduled to be banded on 2/9/07 and I'm excited / nervous / jittery and other adjectives as well.

Anyway, I have pretty bad GERD. I get heartburn easily and it's not fun. It's somewhat managed by Omeprazole, which I take twice daily.

I've read that a possible side effect of the lap-band is increased heartburn, and this scares me. I spoke with Carolyn at OCC who said that GERD is often a side effect of a hiatal hernia, but I really don't think that's my issue.

Soooo... can you tell me your experiences with post-banding heartburn, reflux and stuff like that? I just can't imagine my GERD getting worse, it's so uncomfortable.

Thanks!

Melanie

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new here. I'm scheduled to be banded on 2/9/07 and I'm excited / nervous / jittery and other adjectives as well.

Anyway, I have pretty bad GERD. I get heartburn easily and it's not fun. It's somewhat managed by Omeprazole, which I take twice daily.

I've read that a possible side effect of the lap-band is increased heartburn, and this scares me. I spoke with Carolyn at OCC who said that GERD is often a side effect of a hiatal hernia, but I really don't think that's my issue.

Soooo... can you tell me your experiences with post-banding heartburn, reflux and stuff like that? I just can't imagine my GERD getting worse, it's so uncomfortable.

Thanks!

Melanie

Hi Melanie!

I had horrid heartburn for many years... I had so many "tubings" it was not funny... and they always said that I did NOT have a hiatal hernia.... I took Prevacid for MANY years and it barely kept some control of it.

When Dr. Ortiz went in to put my band in 6 weeks ago he found a wonderful hiatal hernia and was so kind to fix it on the spot... That was 6 1/2 weeks ago.... I have not had ONE SINGLE incident of heartburn since!!

Hi Melanie!

I had horrid heartburn for many years... I had so many "tubings" it was not funny... and they always said that I did NOT have a hiatal hernia.... I took Prevacid for MANY years and it barely kept some control of it.

When Dr. Ortiz went in to put my band in 6 weeks ago he found a wonderful hiatal hernia and was so kind to fix it on the spot... That was 6 1/2 weeks ago.... I have not had ONE SINGLE incident of heartburn since!!

That's great news... I'm hoping mine goes away as well. Thank you!