115 LBS Lost in a Year - Gastric Sleeve

I had Gastric Sleeve surgery on 6/3/13 along with my identical twin. I started this journey at 270 lbs, and I now weigh 155 lbs (on a good day) - I have lost 115 lbs.
My experience with the sleeve has been fantastic. I stuck to the diet guidelines almost 100% - I was committed to making sure I didn't mess anything up. I healed quickly and learned to work with my new stomach in a short amount of time. In the first 2 months I dropped a lot of weight without making too much effort. My only struggle was to get in enough water - I had to make a bigger effort to manage that intake.
After 2 months I realized that just losing weight wasn't my goal - I really wanted to get healthy and fit. I started a couch to 5K running program in late August. It was so hard. Really, really hard. I stuck to it and even though I suffered from some weight related issues while running I didn't give up. My weight continued to drop, but interestingly enough not as quickly as my twin's weight dropped and she wasn't exercising or as careful with her food choices. This difference between us really helped me realize this surgery was just a tool - it wasn't a miracle that would relieve me of all responsibility for my own weight loss and health. I had to try. I had to use this tool to my advantage.
Throughout the first 6 months I was very careful with my food choices - really focused on lean proteins and healthy snacks. I had the occasional lapse but it was no longer "THE END" of the effort as it would have been in the past. I knew I had some control over the situation so I was able to forgive myself the bad choice and move on. I am now at the point where I choose to eat what I want and have no "off limits" items. If I want chocolate, I have it but in moderation and I know I will need to either eat less or exercise more if I indulge.
I turned 39 this year so my skin isn't as youthful as it once was and it hasn't all cinched into place. I will always have some loose skin in my upper arms, thighs, stomach and a little in my behind. It doesn't bother me. I look great in clothes, I am a size 8 or 10. Maybe one day I'll get surgery to remove it all, but if not I can live with it.
On May 18th I completed my first 1/2 Marathon - the Portland Rock & Rock 1/2 Marathon. I feel incredible. I am healthy. I am fit. I am a runner. I have a body that lets me do whatever I want to do. I will run the Portland Marathon on Oct. 5th 2014!
Thank you Dr. Ortiz and your Staff for making this new body and improved life possible for me. I appreciate the tool you provided to help me learn to help myself. I am a success story.
As for my twin sister Emily - she is also a success. She now weighs 165lbs and feels great. Her journey wasn't the same as mine - she dropped weight much more readily then I did and with much less effort. Lucky her! She isn't a runner but is more active overall and is much healthier and happier.
My Stats:
38 years old at surgery, 39 now
5'8"
Weight Loss Progress:
155 LBS - 6/3/14
163 LBS - 5/2/14
170 LBS - 4/2/14
174 LBS - 2/28/14
181 LBS - 1/25/14
188 LBS - 12/25/13
196 LBS - 11/25/13
205 LBS - 10/31/13
220 LBS - 9/1/13
231 LBS - 8/4/13
246 LBS - 6/30/13
270 LBS - 6/3/13

Before Pic - 270 lbs

Before Pic - 270 lbs

2 Months After Surgery - 231 lbs (39 lbs lost)

4 Months After Surgery - 210 lbs (60 lbs lost)

5 Months After Surgery - 200 lbs (70 lbs lost)

9 Months After Surgery - First 10K Run - 169 lbs (101 lbs lost)

11 Months After Surgery - First 1/2 Marathon Run - 160 lbs (110 lbs lost)

1 Year After Surgery - 155 lbs (115 lbs lost)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...