Band to Sleeve--Happy, Happy

Hi All!

I’d like to share both of my positive experiences with the OCC. I was banded in 2007 and was really impressed with the clinic and the aftercare. I lost most of my weight, coming within 20 pounds of my goal. My pre diabetes and high cholesterol is gone. I also don’t have to take arthritis medication for pain in my hips anymore! However, due to a thyroid issue a couple of years ago, I gained some of the weight back. Then early last summer, I started to have some problems with my band. I decided to have a revision and go with the sleeve. After such a good experience the first time, of course I chose to go back to the OCC. The care was just as great as the first time. My band was a good tool and I really liked it but I absolutely LOVE my sleeve! I’ve lost all the weight I regained plus some and am only 12 pounds from my goal. I’m smaller than I’ve been for almost 35 years and am looking into plastic surgery now. A big thank you to the entire OCC team for being so helpful and supportive!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Hello -

Your post is very encouraging to me! I was banded in November of 2011, loved it (except for the times when I got too much of a fill) until November of 2014 when it slipped on Thanksgiving day and I had to have it surgically removed. At that point in time I had no fill and now I'm thinking I should have kept a small amount in it, but who knows.

The surgeon who removed wanted to sleeve me 6 weeks after the band removal, but I knew if I was going to be sleeved, it would be at OCC.

At first I thought I would be able to maintain my weight loss as it had been 3 years as my eating habits had changed....but oh OH NO, 15 months later

i\I've gained all but 10 pounds of the weight I lost. I'm so looking forward to the sleeve being the tool I need to get back on track and loose this 6- pounds yet again and FOREVER!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I was banded in 2006 and loved it. it worked perfectly and I lost 100 pounds. I then came back to OCC in 2014 and had tummy tuck (perfect results). but I had to have my band taken out last year and have regained some of the weight. I am getting my sleeve in a few weeks on march 30th :). I trust the OCC team COMPLETELY, and am so excited for this next phase of my life.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your words! I had a similar experience. Lost around 100 pounds, but have regained back around 70 because of some health challenges, but I also had some issues pop up with my band. I'm booked for a revision to sleeve in May, 2016. Looking forward to getting a tummy tuck once I get the weight off again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, Im having band to sleeve revision May 18..How long is it before regular work again, I have a desk job. Thanks

Hi Tbiker-

I spoke with OCC yesterday about a commitment I had 2 weeks following surgery. I was told that patients can normally return to a desk job two weeks following. I have not revised yet so I can't say from experience.

Judy

Band to Sleeve 6/14/16

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone, newbie here from Canada. Had lapband done in 08. planning on having a sleeve done soon. I have not been able to find anywhere, on anyone's website what the waiting time is to get the surgery. I have decided on OCC for surgeon. Can anyone provide any info?

Hello everyone, newbie here from Canada. Had lapband done in 08. planning on having a sleeve done soon. I have not been able to find anywhere, on anyone's website what the waiting time is to get the surgery. I have decided on OCC for surgeon. Can anyone provide any info?

Hi, My suggestion is to call an OCC coordinator and plan your surgery. I guess it really depends on your schedule, the OCC's schedule.

• 1 year later...

HI All!

I also had a band in 2012 at OCC, loved it, but had to have it removed this July due to a different issue. Wow, it was weird not to have my "little buddy" anymore. I swear I experienced actual grief! Anyway, have regained a small amount of weight, but enough to scare me. Heading back to OCC in January for the sleeve. Very excited and look forward to hearing from everyone about their successes! 

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Wow it has been a long time since I have posted or even read anything in this forum!  But I am back for better or worse.  I was banded in 2008 at OCC and had what I considered to be great success with my band and it was life changing.

I always knew this day would come and have  been preparing for it since the beginning of my banded life.  Over the last year I have slowly been gaining weight back and have developed some health issues.  In May I visited OCC again, my first time since 2008, and had my band checked.  It was unfilled and I hoped it would be enough to fix my issues but it has been determined it is time to remove my band.

I AM TERRIFIED! Just unfilled I am so hungry again.  I don't completely understand how the sleeve works but I have decided to have the band removed and get a sleeve at the same time, hopefully.  This will happen July 17, 2019.  I keep telling myself that if i just follow all the rules and directions like i did with my band I will be ok and i will lose the weight I have regained but I cant even follow the pre-op diet!  I am  so afraid of returning to my old habits and unhealthy weight.

Any suggestions would be helpful.  I am not even sure where to get help on this forum any more.