Normal?

Not happy this week........I was banded with Ortiz on 11/13/06. I went on the pre-op diet as instructed and weighed in 17 pounds less, that was a great confidence booster. I had no problems other than a hernia repair while in surgery. I felt good and have a high tolerance for pain ( 3 knee and 1 shoulder reconstructions), so that was not an issue for me. I have been doing all post op...as directed period! During my 4 week post -op liquid stage I lost another 17 pounds to put me at a total of 34 down since Oct 25th 2006. I am feeling down this week after starting solids as directed by Miranda and in 9 days have gained 9-10 pounds. I am eating small portions and 3 meals a day, no liqs around meal time and so forth....... At this point with no restriction and hungry all this time I am wondering if this was all worth it? I have only lost weight while on an all liquid diet and we all know that no band is needed for this- but your body can only stand liquids for so long....putting solids back in my system has been depressing to see the scale climb so fast. I called Dr Ortiz and spoke to Alexander.........he has by far been the most helpful person in the office, along with Dr Miranda. I asked for a fill 5 weeks post op due to that fact of extreme hungry and rapid weight gain the first week, plus I go back to work the 1st week of January and will not be able to travel for several months. I am heading back to TJ this week to get an adjustment. I prey this will help me jump start the weight loss again and also settle my nerves that everything is ok and I have not had a slip or something go wrong. I was like all TJ patients self pay...wondering if I did the right thing......is there anyone else who started gaining after starting solids again? What did your first adjustment do for you? Please help settle my nerves I read the forum every few days and dont see topics on this........hope I am not the only one.........thanks for letting me vent.

Not happy this week........I was banded with Ortiz on 11/13/06. I went on the pre-op diet as instructed and weighed in 17 pounds less, that was a great confidence booster. I had no problems other than a hernia repair while in surgery. I felt good and have a high tolerance for pain ( 3 knee and 1 shoulder reconstructions), so that was not an issue for me. I have been doing all post op...as directed period! During my 4 week post -op liquid stage I lost another 17 pounds to put me at a total of 34 down since Oct 25th 2006. I am feeling down this week after starting solids as directed by Miranda and in 9 days have gained 9-10 pounds. I am eating small portions and 3 meals a day, no liqs around meal time and so forth....... At this point with no restriction and hungry all this time I am wondering if this was all worth it? I have only lost weight while on an all liquid diet and we all know that no band is needed for this- but your body can only stand liquids for so long....putting solids back in my system has been depressing to see the scale climb so fast. I called Dr Ortiz and spoke to Alexander.........he has by far been the most helpful person in the office, along with Dr Miranda. I asked for a fill 5 weeks post op due to that fact of extreme hungry and rapid weight gain the first week, plus I go back to work the 1st week of January and will not be able to travel for several months. I am heading back to TJ this week to get an adjustment. I prey this will help me jump start the weight loss again and also settle my nerves that everything is ok and I have not had a slip or something go wrong. I was like all TJ patients self pay...wondering if I did the right thing......is there anyone else who started gaining after starting solids again? What did your first adjustment do for you? Please help settle my nerves I read the forum every few days and dont see topics on this........hope I am not the only one.........thanks for letting me vent.

KellyJo,

I think you will find most people using this support board have experienced regaining of some weight after returning to solid food, and before getting their first fill. You are not alone! If you read some of the other experiences, you will see many similar reports. Most people have little restriction until their first or second fill. Those of us with the VG band can expect 2-3 fills to get true restriction. Hang in there, and glad to see you are getting a fill. It should get you to start losing again.

hang on Kelli! It makes a HUGE difference once you get your restriction! You can call the toll free number, ext 2 and schedule your fill for 6 weeks post-op! You don't truly start experiencing life with the band until your fill! You will still hit plateau's with the band, I hit one for 4 weeks with no weight loss, but the inches kept creeping off, I added more protein and made sure I was making healthy choices, and the weight loss really started again. Don't let set-backs get you down. Get your fill scheduled! Our body does react to the re-introduction of food after the liquids, I think most people gain a little because your body holds onto it! Make sure you are making healthy choices, protein first, carbs last and watch the liquid calorie intake :)

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to remember is that when you go into surgery, your digestive tract is completely EMPTY, save for perhaps a tiny amount of stuff from the shakes. Once you start eating solid foods again, all that space fills back up - and it can hold a LOT, even if your stomach can't. So you are going to gain weight back post-op. It's pretty much inevitable.

Also, you are only one month out of surgery. At this point you're supposed to be finishing up your recovery, not worrying too much about the pounds coming off. Wait until after your second fill (your first fill often reduces in restriction as air comes out of the band) to see how things are going before getting too frustrated. Slow and sure is the way of the band - there is not supposed to be an overnight change in your body. As far as I'm concerened, any month that I'm not GAINING weight is a good one.