Energy level decrease

I am considering the surgery, but as a performer, use incredible amounts of energy when I perform for an hour or two....does your energy level suffer after surgery, and if so, for how long? Also what did you find the hardest to deal with after surgery. How about the cost of the surgery? Thanks for your input.

It took me about a week to be back to normal energy after the surgery. Now I have so much I alsost kill my husband with my lists (and he thought they were bad before). I also have four children under 5- so I am a bundle till I collapse each night

For perfomance (vocal or theater or what type?) I might think you would be concerned at makeing sure you eat and/or drink appropriately to maintain what lkevels you need, but that might need to be something you experiment with.

The cost of the surgery varies, on where performed and who/which doctor is doing it and what else they are doing? (roughly about 7K to 30K is what I have seen)

I am by no means an expert on other people's recovery time, but from my own and from reading about other peole, it's usually within 1 week for non-physical work. I was banded on Thursday and went bck to my active desk job on the following Tuesday & took it easy at work. From what I hear, it's 2 to 3 weeks for the more active/strenuous jobs.

Don't go by cost alone. Yes, you can get banded for $7K, but by whom? Dr. Ortiz banded me, and now I'm trusting him to band my daughter. I think he and Dr. Martinez are the most talented team out there.

I was hesitant to consider going to Tijuana for surgery, but I'm hearing good things about Dr. Ortiz. Was the hospital what you expected...and what is the cost of Dr. Ortiz. Also, do you have to fly back to Mexico to get a fill, or can you get a doctor to do it locally?

Yes, I would have Dr. Ortiz do it again, excellent surgeon! No, I didn't like the hospital experience in Mexico but I have a happy healthy band so what does it matter now I guess. Yes, you go back to TJ for fills if you choose. Yes, it is a bit of a challenge finding a fill doctor in the states if you are banded in Mexico. Cost of surgery is $9500 but includes everything but airfare (even aftercare for life). Fills cost $100 copay though but Martinez is awesome at fills!

I returned to a desk job at 5 days after surgery. I returned to a strenuous and active job at 2 1/2 weeks after surgery but it was a bit soon. I felt about 80% at that point, still a bit sore and still healing incisions. I was 100% by 4 weeks post op.

You will have the energy you desire as long as you keep your protein and vitamin levels up.

The hardest part for me after surgery was coming to terms mentally that food was no longer what I was going to live for. From now on... eat to live not live to eat. I mourned food a bit, still do in a way. But have lost almost 30 lbs now in 7 weeks!

Hope this helps,

Jenna

Jenna,

You are the 1st person I've heard talk about the loss associated to not eating. My question is on will power and cravings. How did you do the 4 weeks of liquids? Did you want to cheat or were you just not hungry? I am getting banded this Friday and am eating like it is my last supper. My friend got gastric bypass and was eating regular food with in 1 week but just a lot less. I'm worried about all the restrictions. Any suggestions or insight you can give me regarding the first 6 weeks would be a great help. It sounds like it really depends on your attitude and willingness to let go.

I am only 8 weeks post op now and I still battle mental hunger. I feel I "should" eat but I am not hungry. It is very strange indeed.

The liquids phase sucks. I won't lie. It sucks sucks sucks. But once you get through it (as horrid as it is) it is done and you look back on it and say "wow, that sucked but was worth it" ha ha

For me: During weeks 4-6 I ate whatever I wanted to really. Just a little less, but not enough to lose weight just to maintain what i had lost in the first 4 weeks. After the fill I started losing again. Having a fill is the eye opener. THAT is when you notice certain foods are okay and some just don't agree.

Back to mental hunger.... sometimes I feel the need to munch but I try and deflect it by doing an activity and it passes. It is definitely a struggle though. It is not the "easy" way. No matter how much I heard that the band was a tool, it never sunk in till later. It is just that.... a tool.

But never really hungry really. Again, reallyyyyy strange.

I was banded on 5/3/2005 and am still on liquids ... my banding took place on a Tuesday and I returned to work the next Tuesday, but was very very tired until day 10 when I was able to add protein. My body needs lots of protein. One thing that has helped with mid-afternoon energy slumps is Propel fitness water - it has Vitamins C, E, B6 and B12 and I don't know how I'd have been able to work without it.

- Katie