Questions before surgery

Hello to everyone. I am new at this, so be patient with me. I am being banded on the 25th May and have some questions left to be answered. I have been researching for a while now and have finally committed to changing my life. My questions are:

(1) If only liquids are going in, then only liquids are coming out right? I have tried to search past posts, however, I can't find any answers for this topic: Bowel Movements. Has anyone had ongoing problems with this? And what's the difficulty in transitioning to solids. Any problems with constipation?

(2) How did everyone feel about the hospital in Mexico? I have read only a few posts (both good and bad) that discuss this. I was told by another doctor's assistant that the hopsital is not appropriate and really shouldn't be called a hospital at all. Obiviously, this has not effected my descision, since I am scheduled. Overall, was the expirence a good one for you? And would you do everything the same? If not, what would you change?

(3) Everyone says "pack light"... Why?

Thank you to everyone willing to respond.

Jenn

HI Jenn - I was only recently banded - on May 3, 2005, so am not an "expert" at this but will answer your questions as best I can.

1. Re constipation, I had a little of this the first week but nothing serious - I drank apple juice the first few days. I don't know what happens once we begin adding solid food but can tell you I'm really looking forward to it.

2. Re the hospital in TJ. My 42-year-old daughter came with me, and is absolutely terrified of hospitals. When we entered the waiting room she was very relieved as it did not look "hospital - like" - more like a doctor's waiting room. However, the facility is immaculately clean - small, only four rooms (I think - maybe a few more), the care is excellent, and Drs Ortiz and Martinez give you the best of care. The surgery room itself is quite large, and they have several people (about six that I could count) to take care of you. Overall, the experience was excellent, and yes, I would do it again, absolutely!

3. Pack light because you don't need much, and you have to schlepp your suitcase around a bit. I left mine in the hotel while I was at the hospital, but a few other people took their whole suitcase to the hospital with them - I don't know why. I just took my toothbrush, nightgown and slippers, and some knitting to the hospital with me.

Best of luck!

Katie

1. because you are on full liquids I pee'd A LOT but didn't have a bowel movement for the first 4 days or so after the surgery. I didn't have either, constipation or diarhea. Haven't had any issues at all for that matter in 8 weeks.

2. The hospital is not a hospital, it is a surgical center in a tall office building. I personally wasn't impressed by the surgicenter, but others are thrilled. The view is great though from the rooms! I loved my doctors but was not all that impressed with the regular staff (nurses). I didn't find it "immaculate" either. It was clean but not really "hospital clean". Just my opinion though.

3. You will not need anything really at the hospital but a toothbrush and a change of clothes to go back to the hotel in. I actually had pj bottoms and a t shirt and went back to the hotel in that. After the surgery you really don't want to cart a big suitcase around... trust us!

Good luck with your decisions!

I find it hard for people having surgery in mexico to understand some things are very different.

I lived in southern mexico for one and half years (and visit often). It is very common foir surgeons to own a "suite" with their own operating room, they bring their own surigical equipment; and have it well stocked (if they are a good reputiable surgeon). There were not any "public: hospiutals like we think of here in US where I lived - most that served the "public: were religiously affiliated.

This said- Dr. Ortiz has an excellent - by both US and exceptional by Mexican standars. Surgical clinic. He has to meet minimum standars by Mexico (some are much more stringent that those on US rural surgical centers) as well as meet minimum for Innamed (as a proctor). It is also normal for most plastic surgeons in us to operate with same type of "surgical center" in their own office.

One of our local band doctors is trying to get one started to lower the cost for US out of pocket payments. You will be transportecd in US if a problem or operated on at different location if necessary also.-- the same is true for Dr. Ortiz- please be aware of that.

Personal note- we were some of the first to use the center. I found it lovely and much better equipped than our local "Top 100 hospital" I also know (personal experience here- It would be much easier to get Drs Ortiz or Martinez back there if a problem than your orginal surgeon in the US. But is is different than what you might be expecting - but I live in very rural Missouri (thought close to STL) and if I went to local hospital to compare to his- the equipment was newer, better maintained and cleaner- personal opinion.

(1) If only liquids are going in, then only liquids are coming out right? I have tried to search past posts, however, I can't find any answers for this topic: Bowel Movements. Has anyone had ongoing problems with this? And what's the difficulty in transitioning to solids. Any problems with constipation?

I had no problems with my bowels , they moved just fine, it was not just liquids coming out. You may notice a less frequency in your bowel movements since less fodd is going in. I drink tons of water which helps my bowels stay active and eat my daily fiber.

(2) How did everyone feel about the hospital in Mexico? I have read only a few posts (both good and bad) that discuss this. I was told by another doctor's assistant that the hopsital is not appropriate and really shouldn't be called a hospital at all. Obiviously, this has not effected my descision, since I am scheduled. Overall, was the expirence a good one for you? And would you do everything the same? If not, what would you change?

The hospital is very nice, it is small but nice, it is clean, one of the 3 nurses speak English very well, the other two speak a little English, there is a Dr. on staff that stays through the night who speaks English. My experience was a great experience, my surgery was actually at the Oasis, but I can comment on the hospital Ortiz uses now since I was there for myself for something different then my band surgery.and there with a girlfriend who had port revision surgery there. I would do it over again in a heartbeat at the hospital he now uses.

(3) Everyone says "pack light"... Why?

You will not need much in the way of clothing. I would bring a book, there is some wait time during pre op tests. Take along some Gas X and liquid tylenol. Other then that a change of clothes and a toothbrush and shoes you will be set.

Best of luck to you

You are in good hands with Dr. Ortiz, there will be others having surgery with you so you will make friends. I know two others who wil lbe there that time having surgery on the 24th.