BOY BAND-STERS

I'm new to this and will be getting banded some time this month. I think its time to hear from some of the men folk to get a clear picture what i'm about to get myself into.

Ok I've read a zillion posts from you girls... This one if for us boy-bandsters. Some of our experiences and reasons for being here are the same... but some are SOOO very different.

Looking forward to getting the straight scoop

Randy

I'm new to this and will be getting banded some time this month. I think its time to hear from some of the men folk to get a clear picture what i'm about to get myself into.

Ok I've read a zillion posts from you girls... This one if for us boy-bandsters. Some of our experiences and reasons for being here are the same... but some are SOOO very different.

Randy

If you do a search of my user name and that of 'CalKev' you should get a good start at seeing postings from a male perspective. Good luck with your surgery!

Randy

HI,THERE I WAS BANDED DEC 1 I WAS LITTLE SORE AROUND THE PORT AREA BUT ITS NORMAL FOR THAT TOO HAPPEN.I DO NOT REGRET HAVENT IT DONE I'M BACK FOR MY FILL ON JAN 13 AND CANT WAIT TO GET IT DONE.I WAS LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT IT BUT I REED THE LAP-BAND BOOK THAT DR.ORTIZ WROTE IT MAY ME FILL MORE COMFORTABLE ABOUT IT AND STAFF DOWN THERE IS SO GREAT YOU AINT GOING TO BELIEVE IT :D IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTION ABOUT THE SURGERY E-MAIL ME AT BIGSTUFF_31@YAHOO.COM

TERRY FROM ILLINIOS :-h

Randy

Randy, You want the straight scoop from a fellow Boy Bandster as you call us well here it is. Gender has nothing to do with being banded. Each individual has their own reason and experience.

Gender I believe does have a part in who chooses to relate their "experience or reason for being here" as you put it. When it comes to expressing honest feelings on this board the women here have the ability to empower and share with each other better than some of us guys. In general we just don't discuss our "feelings" on subjects like banding in open forum. We are also in the minority of Dr. Ortiz's clientele which does decrease the volume of male related data that can be found here.

Simply said the best way to find others who relate with you is tell your reasoning for wanting to be banded. The replies will usually come first from those that can relate with you both male and female.

I was banded for my health first and foremost. Secondly because a close family member experienced devastation in their life and it made me re-evaluate my own and how I chose to live it. One major component was that I was killing myself with food. No it isn't easy to say but I had to admit it before I could commit to the banding process for me and only me. Heavy stuff(no pun intended). But really good stuff that can set a person free from guilt and shame. So as I have said in past posts my mantra was to "band my brain" first and then the body. My mind had to be open to be educated on how to eat by the band before I chose to have it placed. It is a tool and not the end-all as all of us would like. I take a very intense approach to being banded compared to many on the board. This is a manifestation of my high BMI and accepting I could not persist to live my life "fat and un-happy".

Eddie Izzard, the comedian, has a bit where he talks about the Spanish inquisition and equates the flippant manner in which those who were asked to relinquish their religious beliefs or be killed to his phrase "Cake or Death". His interpretation of the dismissive way in which many were offered life or death. Ultimately it meant to the persecuted spiritual death or physical death. My mind never equated cake with death so for me I ate the cake and dismissed the thought that it was the same as death. For me to finally get my brain banded I had to equate the cake with death and eliminate the dismissive feelings I had harbored for years on addiction to food. I had fooled and victimized myself because in reality death comes to all but sooner to others if they choose the cake. Either way life is precious but being true to oneself just as valued. You either choose to work with the band or not and that choice needs to be made before you get the band. If you choose to let it teach you how to eat then you will succeed in the life-long process. If you fight it then it will fight you and the symbiosis between your mind, body and band, will be in constant conflict and may lead to ultimate failure.

I have a close friend who will be banded by Dr. Ortiz. We sat together and talked and all the questions I had early on came out into the open each having to do with the banding itself, Dr. Ortiz and his staff, and what you can or can't eat, anesthesia, hotel accommodations, etc. Once we got through the obvious questions I approached the discussion to what her mindset is going into the banding process. She was taken aback by my question and made light of her weight. That's the point where I told her of where I had been and where I was going in my mind with the banding process. I think it frightened her to be open until we got to the point where she started to look at herself and be honest about what role food played in her own life. I felt awful as I left because my reflection was maybe I petrified her into reconsidering. But in reality if we can't face ourselves how can we use the band as an effectual method? So if at that point she had changed her mind on being banded at least she would be moving forward with her eyes open.

The main reason I wanted to reply to you now is there is plenty of time to ponder the surgery and its many components as well as your life after banding. The unknown makes us all anxious to an extent. But right now it is vital you spend the time needed to prepare for this new adventure you are about to depart on. My hope is you are dedicated to living healthy and giving over your eating habits to the band so it can re-educate you on correct eating habits. Randy much success on your banding and keep us informed of when you will be banded. I will be at Dr. Ortiz's office for a fill on January 15 & 16. Look forward to hearing your progress. A fellow Boy Bandster. Kevin

><' HIJACK---hey Kevin- it's Cyndi - how are you doing? I am doing wonderful- I am still losing weight - I had a fill on 11/28 but think it has atually really now kicked in - I lost about 10 lbs after the fill and then hit a plateau which I can say I have officailly beaten LOL 3 days on the scale below 230 was a god send and announced it at the breakfast table this morning to my family- I explained to my son that I actually weight he same as the day I had him 8 years ago - and that is a big accomplishment for me cause when I was pregnant with him I lost 20lbs while pregnant and then put that back on after about 6mnthes ----so YEAH FOR ME

DID I TELL YOU I LOVE MY BAND? LOL Th e weather here in AZ has been crazy cold then beautiful - can't make it's mind up ----I have gone out and bought new clothes not many but everything was hanging on me and I have gone from a 26 in pants to a 22 and my shirts I am buying a 16/18 and use to buy as big as I could find due to not liking things to cling to me - now I don't mind ----LOL

Talk to you soon

your band buddy Cyndi B)

Randy, You want the straight scoop from a fellow Boy Bandster as you call us well here it is. Gender has nothing to do with being banded. Each individual has their own reason and experience.

Gender I believe does have a part in who chooses to relate their "experience or reason for being here" as you put it. When it comes to expressing honest feelings on this board the women here have the ability to empower and share with each other better than some of us guys. In general we just don't discuss our "feelings" on subjects like banding in open forum. We are also in the minority of Dr. Ortiz's clientele which does decrease the volume of male related data that can be found here.

Simply said the best way to find others who relate with you is tell your reasoning for wanting to be banded. The replies will usually come first from those that can relate with you both male and female.

I was banded for my health first and foremost. Secondly because a close family member experienced devastation in their life and it made me re-evaluate my own and how I chose to live it. One major component was that I was killing myself with food. No it isn't easy to say but I had to admit it before I could commit to the banding process for me and only me. Heavy stuff(no pun intended). But really good stuff that can set a person free from guilt and shame. So as I have said in past posts my mantra was to "band my brain" first and then the body. My mind had to be open to be educated on how to eat by the band before I chose to have it placed. It is a tool and not the end-all as all of us would like. I take a very intense approach to being banded compared to many on the board. This is a manifestation of my high BMI and accepting I could not persist to live my life "fat and un-happy".

Eddie Izzard, the comedian, has a bit where he talks about the Spanish inquisition and equates the flippant manner in which those who were asked to relinquish their religious beliefs or be killed to his phrase "Cake or Death". His interpretation of the dismissive way in which many were offered life or death. Ultimately it meant to the persecuted spiritual death or physical death. My mind never equated cake with death so for me I ate the cake and dismissed the thought that it was the same as death. For me to finally get my brain banded I had to equate the cake with death and eliminate the dismissive feelings I had harbored for years on addiction to food. I had fooled and victimized myself because in reality death comes to all but sooner to others if they choose the cake. Either way life is precious but being true to oneself just as valued. You either choose to work with the band or not and that choice needs to be made before you get the band. If you choose to let it teach you how to eat then you will succeed in the life-long process. If you fight it then it will fight you and the symbiosis between your mind, body and band, will be in constant conflict and may lead to ultimate failure.

I have a close friend who will be banded by Dr. Ortiz. We sat together and talked and all the questions I had early on came out into the open each having to do with the banding itself, Dr. Ortiz and his staff, and what you can or can't eat, anesthesia, hotel accommodations, etc. Once we got through the obvious questions I approached the discussion to what her mindset is going into the banding process. She was taken aback by my question and made light of her weight. That's the point where I told her of where I had been and where I was going in my mind with the banding process. I think it frightened her to be open until we got to the point where she started to look at herself and be honest about what role food played in her own life. I felt awful as I left because my reflection was maybe I petrified her into reconsidering. But in reality if we can't face ourselves how can we use the band as an effectual method? So if at that point she had changed her mind on being banded at least she would be moving forward with her eyes open.

The main reason I wanted to reply to you now is there is plenty of time to ponder the surgery and its many components as well as your life after banding. The unknown makes us all anxious to an extent. But right now it is vital you spend the time needed to prepare for this new adventure you are about to depart on. My hope is you are dedicated to living healthy and giving over your eating habits to the band so it can re-educate you on correct eating habits. Randy much success on your banding and keep us informed of when you will be banded. I will be at Dr. Ortiz's office for a fill on January 15 & 16. Look forward to hearing your progress. A fellow Boy Bandster. Kevin

Kevin,

First let me say thank you for the obvious time and sincerity of your reply. I could hear your voice in my head saying the same things I was thinking, but you put those words in some order.

I agree the "banding my mind" is the most important part. My story is similar to most, using food as the crutch for a myriad of reasons above just nourishment. I am a "defining moment" person, and usually need a pivitol even to change my direction. Several near misses got my attn. The high blood pressure started it... The sleep apnea... the depression... seeing 300 on the scale for the first time... but I kept my head in the sand. and my car in the drive thru. This lap band will clearly be just a tool for me. One of several to get my weight under control.

I (as a member of the boybandsters) don't deal with my feelings as well as the ladies, but maybe thats another one of my reasons I have Dominoes on my speed dial.

I plan to use board as a vessel to channel my story. I also hope to get that support that I'm sure I will need in the days, weeks, and months to come.

Randy

Kevin,

First let me say thank you for the obvious time and sincerity of your reply. I could hear your voice in my head saying the same things I was thinking, but you put those words in some order.

I agree the "banding my mind" is the most important part. My story is similar to most, using food as the crutch for a myriad of reasons above just nourishment. I am a "defining moment" person, and usually need a pivitol even to change my direction. Several near misses got my attn. The high blood pressure started it... The sleep apnea... the depression... seeing 300 on the scale for the first time... but I kept my head in the sand. and my car in the drive thru. This lap band will clearly be just a tool for me. One of several to get my weight under control.

I (as a member of the boybandsters) don't deal with my feelings as well as the ladies, but maybe thats another one of my reasons I have Dominoes on my speed dial.

I plan to use board as a vessel to channel my story. I also hope to get that support that I'm sure I will need in the days, weeks, and months to come.

Randy

Randy, Your attitude is awesome. All of us here believe in each other and you are now part of that support system. You hit the nail on the head that many of us need that defining moment to make a change. Some alcoholics from my understanding will only choose to get help when they hit bottom. I hit bottom with my weight and realized I had to wipe my emotional slate clean and get help to re-educate my brain that being a foodaholic was making me miserable. I lived in denial as you also refer to for my whole life. It was time to let go of the anger and shame and deal with it as it arises as opposed to grabbing something edible to stuff the feelings.

So now food equals nutrition and anger equals anger and intermingling of the two can't take place. I used to think I could enjoy or use any food options that exist in my pantry filled life. The pantry is now empty...there is no need for it to be full. Now my life is becoming full of happiness, joy and self acceptance. What a kick. The band continues to teach and I listen. It says that's all your body needs so don't continue to overload it. Nutritional needs are what it is the expert on and my emotions are what I have to hold myself responsible for. So Randy more power to you! You have joined us on the right road and it will bring you joy if you continue to embrace the positive changes coming your way.

By the time I was scheduled for surgery I practically jumped on the surgical table and just smiled in the knowledge that the best surgeon I could find was going to provide an invaluable tool that would lengthen and perhaps save my life. I anticipate you will feel the same. Keep us up on your progress to a healthy life! And yes I have restaurants on my speed dial too but they no longer see my caller I.D.. My friends and family see it more often now. They are worth spending my minutes on. Kevin