Fills Without Flouro?

Hello. I was just wondering what people's experiences have been going to doctors for fills who don't use flouroscopy or x-ray. Any proplems? There is someone close by that does fill inexpensively but without flouro and x-ray. I know it's not as precise as going back to TJ, but that is such a long trip from up here in Washington. It would be sooooo much easier to just drive 45 minutes to my fill doc. Anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone to one of these docs and if there were any complications. Also, of those who returned to TJ for fills, how many fills did it take to get to your sweet spot?

Thanks for your comments!

Autumn_22

Hi Autumn,

Personally, I would never allow a fill without flouro or xray. The reason is simple. If they miss the spot, they could puncture your port. I do know people who have gone to a fill center here with not good result, but I am also sure that there are people who are very happy with them, I just haven't met them. As for finding your sweet spot, well every one is different. Some people get it on the first try and some take several fills. You just have to wing it. I have had 2 fills and still am not at that point yet, but I know people who are fine with 1 fill. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do! nita

Hi Autumn,

Personally, I would never allow a fill without flouro or xray. The reason is simple. If they miss the spot, they could puncture your port. I do know people who have gone to a fill center here with not good result, but I am also sure that there are people who are very happy with them, I just haven't met them. As for finding your sweet spot, well every one is different. Some people get it on the first try and some take several fills. You just have to wing it. I have had 2 fills and still am not at that point yet, but I know people who are fine with 1 fill. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do! nita

I would not consider a fill without flouro either. To me, it would be like getting a broken leg set without an xray. It may work out fine, but the risk is higher than I would want.

I personally would not have a fill without the fluro either. What if the needle the doc was inserting happened to punture the tube attached to the port. The needle goes into the port about 1 inch or so. All docs are human and could miss the port opening, in my opinion. To me, its just not worth the money you would save or the convience, especially because it took so much more time, research, money, to have the band put in. Teri :huh: (I have had 2 fills, and I'm hoping this fill will last for a while.) So far, so good.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I will just have to pack up my bags each time and fly back to TJ. Spendy, but I do agree that it is worth it. Thanks again!

Hi Autumn,

I just had my first fill. I had surgery 8/23, but didn't need a fill until around the middle of November. By that time airfare was way to high to go to Mexico. In December I went to Dr. Neal in Olympia. They do fills under floroscopy. I really missed not going to TJ. They seemed so much more personal there, but my fill went well. I may be a little too tight. I may go have a slight unfill done. After talking with Dr. Martinez (I think it was him), he encouraged me to have a small unfill. Although things went well, I hope to go back to MX for future fills, but I guess it depends on my schedule and my kids schedule. Not as easy to get away.

Beth

Hey Beth,

I was wondering how much getting a fill was with Dr. Neal. I know that it's a long drive from Bellingham to Olympia, but I guess it's a long flight to TJ too! I've heard good and bad things about Dr. Neal, but the bad was mostly about bedside manner. Like you said, not very personable. I was just wondering how much he charged for the whole process with flouro and x-ray?

Thanks!

Autumn_22

I've got a fill schedule in the next couple of weeks with Dr Neal and was quoted $375. If I needed an unfilll within within two weeks of the fill then that would be done at no charge but if I wanted a bit more saline in that time it would cost $150.

Hey Beth,

I was wondering how much getting a fill was with Dr. Neal. I know that it's a long drive from Bellingham to Olympia, but I guess it's a long flight to TJ too! I've heard good and bad things about Dr. Neal, but the bad was mostly about bedside manner. Like you said, not very personable. I was just wondering how much he charged for the whole process with flouro and x-ray?

Thanks!

Autumn_22

I'M JUST REPOSTING THIS FROM ANOTHER THREAD I POSTED ON:

I WAS PRETTY CAUTIOUS AND QUESTIONED WHAT I

Hey Beth,

Thanks!

Autumn_22

Autumn,

Dr. Neal's price was $375. If an additional fill is need within 2 weeks they charge $150. No charge for unfills.

Other than bedside manner have you heard anything eles?

Bethy