afraid to make decision

Guest lidi

Hi guys.my name is Lidi,

I am to afraid to make a decision to do the lap band in Mexico,which most of did it with dr.ortiz or india, :-? i know couple people did it.

a lot of people discourage me about mexico.please help.and is there someone live in virgina or dc area that have done it in mexico??????????????

Guest blueskies7890
Hi guys.my name is Lidi,

I am to afraid to make a decision to do the lap band in Mexico,which most of did it with dr.ortiz or india, :-? i know couple people did it.

a lot of people discourage me about mexico.please help.and is there someone live in virgina or dc area that have done it in mexico??????????????

A lot of people on here seem to have gone to MX to see Dr Ortiz in Tijuana, but thats just from what ive noticed.

Keep in mind this forum was set up for patients of Dr Ortiz in Tijuana (though we certainly love hearing from people who go elsewhere to), so opinion of who to go to might be a teeny weeny bit biased in his direction.

Keep in mind this forum was set up for patients of Dr Ortiz in Tijuana (though we certainly love hearing from people who go elsewhere to), so opinion of who to go to might be a teeny weeny bit biased in his direction.

Thanks clynn...i get the point.

Making a decision like this is always difficult. I had a hard time deciding becuase I was self pay, and there were other cheaper doctors. I chose Dr. Ortiz becuase he is an expert in his field. I am very happy with my decision and felt like I made the best possible decision for me. Good luck iwth your decision making. Ultimately, you will choose what is right for you.

Making a decision like this is always difficult. I had a hard time deciding becuase I was self pay, and there were other cheaper doctors. I chose Dr. Ortiz becuase he is an expert in his field. I am very happy with my decision and felt like I made the best possible decision for me. Good luck iwth your decision making. Ultimately, you will choose what is right for you.

Thank you Bandiva..... I need it. : :unsure:

HI Lidi. i am in the same boat! But We will need to keep researching and think very hard about how it is going to change our lives completely. I am still looking into everything. My friend that I told you about that went to Mexico.. she is happy she lost weight.. but her life change so much.. she feels like a differnt person in her family. Tihs is important to reaearch. I feel it is hard too. So we should look not only on the website.. but maybe we can go to a SEMINAR for lapband patients. Talk to you soon!

Well, let me put it this way. I'm mad because my new insurance covers the surgery, which means I won't have to spend the money, but NONE of the doctors are anywhere even near as good as Dr. Ortiz. I went down and visited the clinic and met Dr. Ortiz in person and came out of there wanting to set up my appointment for the next day if I could have.

Hi guys.my name is Lidi,

Hi guys.my name is Lidi,

I was afraid to make this decesion as well. I finally decided to go to Mexico and have the surgery. I did not have any support from my family or friends. They all told me I was crazy to go to Mexico. My mom did decide to go with me to have surgery but she was still very much against it.. the night before we were leaving in fact she said she was not going and if I went I would have to go alone. To make a long story short she showed up at the airport and flew with me but she made sure I knew she was completely against this decesion. She now wants to have the procedure herself. She was impressed with the care that I received and with Dr. Ortiz and his staff. I was the only chicken in my group, everyone else was like no big deal... and they were right... things went wonderfully for me. I believe that a decesion like this is important and should not be taken lightly, however let me put your fears to rest regarding, Mexico, Dr. Ortiz, or the facilties that he uses. I can not speak about any other doctors or facilities, but you would be in good hands should you choose to have surgery with Dr. Ortiz. Good luck with your decesion.

I was afraid to make this decesion as well. I finally decided to go to Mexico and have the surgery. I did not have any support from my family or friends. They all told me I was crazy to go to Mexico. My mom did decide to go with me to have surgery but she was still very much against it.. the night before we were leaving in fact she said she was not going and if I went I would have to go alone. To make a long story short she showed up at the airport and flew with me but she made sure I knew she was completely against this decesion. She now wants to have the procedure herself. She was impressed with the care that I received and with Dr. Ortiz and his staff. I was the only chicken in my group, everyone else was like no big deal... and they were right... things went wonderfully for me. I believe that a decesion like this is important and should not be taken lightly, however let me put your fears to rest regarding, Mexico, Dr. Ortiz, or the facilties that he uses. I can not speak about any other doctors or facilities, but you would be in good hands should you choose to have surgery with Dr. Ortiz. Good luck with your decesion.

Thanks again everybody, U R wonderful support.But today i am very happy to tell you one thing less to worry about.I was researching about everthing including Drs. facilities and more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ><'

and I have very good news to some of you had a problem making decision like me. :-?: I talk to the INAMED HEALTH, THE MAKER OF LAP-BAND, about Dr.ortiz and some other Drs,,They told me DR.Ortiz on the best surgeon in the world, He even instructor for many laparoscopic surgeons in US.which makes me very happy.that one big less to afraid and worry.But if any of you need to geet this info i can email U .

Thanks again =D>

Hi guys.my name is Lidi,

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz, and was very happy with my care. I must say, though, I would be very afraid of going to India for surgery. I always had in the back of my head before surgery, "If something goes wrong, I can get back to the USA easily." India would not offer that piece of mind for me.

Hi guys.my name is Lidi,

Hi Lidi,

Our son looked into this surgery for some time before deciding to go to Dr. Ortiz. He and his wife went down to the clinic to meet the Doctors and staff before making the final decision. They were very pleased with everyone and what they saw; he had his surgery in October, 2006. My husband and I went down with our son for his first fill, had a tour of the clinic and spoke to Dr. Ortiz and several staff and decided that I would have the surgery also, having it December 8th. I know that it doesn't sound great, "Going to Mexico for surgery" however the clinic is very, very clean and the staff all treat you like family.

I would highly recommend Dr. Ortiz to anyone who is really serious about this type of surgery. Remember you have to do this for yourself; you have to do what is right for you. What I can tell you is that the whole experience was a good one for both our son and me; we are both on the road to becoming healthy and fit both working out at the gym again.

The weeks of liquid diet might seem long, however they do go by pretty fast, the only thing I missed was the chewing.... found that jello worked as I'd chew it until it was liquid; as a matter of fact I was a little afraid of going back on food, however all is well. Once back on food you have to eat slow and chew, chew, chew ... just remember that you are working towards making yourself a healthy person again.

Hope it all works out for you... I have lost a total of 24 -25 pounds since the beginning of December and my body has tighten up from the gym work, just have to get working on the tummy once I'm able to start that.

Take care.

Hi Lidi

First off... call me anytime!

I'd like you to check out this link. It is a quick and easy way to see Dr. Ortiz qualifications... they are amazing! Dr. Ortiz on Obesityhelp.com

You won't find anyone more qualified. You won't find a nicer, cleaner clinic! I started working with Dr. Ortiz AFTER I went there for surgery - was so impressed, I wanted to be part of his team!

You'll find some people that unfortunately, aren't as successful with the band as others, but rarely, if EVER will you find a complaint about Dr. Ortiz, his skills, or our clinic!

I too had a very hard time going to Mexico. My husband begged me to pay twice as much just to have in the US. So I picked a doctor here, did tons of research before decided. But couldn't get Mexico off my mind. It turns out that Dr. Ortiz taught the dr in the US I was going to go to. So I made a stand, told my husband I wanted the best, and the best was in Mexico. So I went. I had surgery a four 1/2 months ago, and I am down 50 pounds. I was treated so much better and felt more comfortable there in Mexico than I was a few months later when I was in the hospital for kidney stones. I wished I could have gone back to Mexico, but unfortunately, Dr. Ortiz only does Lap bands, not kidney stones. You might want to read some of the posts from people who describe the whole process. Check out the section of people newly banded. It really helps to know what it is like. You can read my story....I was banded Aug. 28th. I know reading the posts from other people really helped me. And everything they said was exactly...EXACTLY, what happened to me. It was awesome.

Good luck, it is a huge decision, but I am so glad I made mine.

Becki

I too had a very hard time going to Mexico. My husband begged me to pay twice as much just to have in the US. So I picked a doctor here, did tons of research before decided. But couldn't get Mexico off my mind. It turns out that Dr. Ortiz taught the dr in the US I was going to go to. So I made a stand, told my husband I wanted the best, and the best was in Mexico. So I went. I had surgery a four 1/2 months ago, and I am down 50 pounds. I was treated so much better and felt more comfortable there in Mexico than I was a few months later when I was in the hospital for kidney stones. I wished I could have gone back to Mexico, but unfortunately, Dr. Ortiz only does Lap bands, not kidney stones. You might want to read some of the posts from people who describe the whole process. Check out the section of people newly banded. It really helps to know what it is like. You can read my story....I was banded Aug. 28th. I know reading the posts from other people really helped me. And everything they said was exactly...EXACTLY, what happened to me. It was awesome.

Good luck, it is a huge decision, but I am so glad I made mine.

Becki

I too had surgery in Mexico. I researched for a while and one day decided I'd call. When I called, I scheduled my appointment for the next week. Boy, after scheduling my appointment I paniced! I had so many emotions. I'm glas I didn't have alot of time to think about what I did. The surgery was great! The doctor was great as was their facility. My BMI was only 31 when I started, but have lost 16

since surgery. Not as much as other, but I also don't have as much too lose.

My only suggestion would be to call around for a local doctor who will do fills/unfills in your local area. Make sure they know you had surgery in MX, buy Dr. Ortiz. I was planning on having my first fill done in MX, but didn't need one until the middle of Nov. At that time, airfare was too much. I found a local Dr. to do my fill. I was terrified when I got there. I wanted to be at Dr. Ortiz's office. They did do their fills under floroscopy, but the nurse was the one who did the fill. I paniced abit and asked if I could talk to the doctor first. I was concerned if they were to punture my tubing or whatever, if they would be responsible for repairing my band, tubing etc. At first he didn't want to comment what he would do. He stated that he didn't know who my surgeon was, how many fills I had had or if they were blind fills or underflorscopy. I informed him this was my first fill and that Dr. Ortiz had performed my surgery. We said he was very familiar with Dr. Ortiz and respected him very much and was confident in his abilities. After his comment, I again asked him my question if I was puntured during the procedure would he be responsible. At this point, he said yes.

After panicing from making my decision and a bit of depression after surgery (I felt as if I had failed in the traditional approach of dieting and couldn't believe I could be so barbaric to my body). I love my band. I no longer am afraid to eat (for fear of eating to much). I enjoy my food. I can eat just about everything (sometimes not). And best of all, I stop when I am satisified.

Good Luck on your decision and your journey!

Beth

Hello Lidi,

I am a mom of a bandster. I too went through all the confusion on what to do. But first and foremost is knowledge. I researched and researched. Dr. Ortiz in fact did train many doctors in the U.S. My daughter was only 13 years old and she was the 2nd youngest patient Dr. Ortiz had done surgery on. Now almost 3 years later Cassie is still doing fabulous. You can check her pictures out on Teen Bandster. Make a decision that is comfortable for you. In the end the only people who know you is you. I had to make a tuff decision for my child and I had a lot of prayers I did not make the wrong decsion. We both felt comfortable after meeting Dr. Ortiz and reading any and all material we could find in regards to the Lap Band and Dr. Ortiz . He is a terrific Doctor. Hope you find your comfort zone and make your decision with ease. Jenn