surgery on june 24th

Hi everyone. I'm having surgery on the 24th of june flying to Mexico from Tampa Florida. I'm so excited but now reading the posts with people losing and then gaining i'm wondering if this is the right thing to do. I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and an 11 year old son with autism so my stress level is very high to begin with and now even higher after reading this board. Would love any input from anyone. Thanks

Hi Robin,

I just had surgery this past Thursday. I hadn't read anywhere on this board where people had lost and gained but I did over the weekend on another board and I got a little depressed. I didn't think you could gain it back after you were banded. Then I remembered one of the things Dr. Ortiz says "you control the quality - the band controls the quanity". People were posting daily food journals on the other board and I was amazed at what they were eating; in most cases high calorie foods and drinking with their meals. These are the people losing and gaining it back. Then I read about others who are eating right, exercising at least occassionally and their losing a lot! Point is you've got to do your part - the band is only a tool not a fix all.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

Chris

Well - I have four little ones under five. The youngest is 3 1/2 months (adopted) and the oldest is 4 1/2 . Three of them have significant developmental delays. I am also still nursing the soon to be 2 year old and the little one too.

I think I lost more weight because I keep up with them.

My biggest problem is my son (4 1/2) is freaked out a little becasue I can't eat at the same time they do. (unless soup or something like that) It is really hard to concentrate on three with ds, watch their eating and manners, keep them happy and remember to chew. All but one of my PB's have been when I was forced to quickly swallow because someone three a fork or grabbed someone elses sandwhich or the etc.

I solved this by the kids eating alone and dad and I eat after in bed (7:30) I understand some of the issues you face and it can be done- just keep some liquid protein in the car so you aren't tempted to cheat and know it will go down if you need it. Those are my hints- I get stuck out a lot driving from Drs to dance to sports,to therapy etc- and can no longer drive through for me (OK I can do chili from wendy's or BK if I have to or pintos and cheese from Taco Bell.)

Good luck!