What does a slipped band feel like?

I have the larger band, and I have not had a fill since August. I've been feeling just fine until lately. I've started getting sick after many meals, which has never happened to me before. Last night I was up in the middle of the night with some pain, and I threw up six times after a meal of salmon and steamed broccoli. That has NEVER happened. It could be just a bug, but I'm worried about a possible slip. I'm trying to be optimistic, because I had a very hard time getting restriction with my band, and was so happy to finally have restriction since August. I've been banded 15 months and have lost 85 pounds. I have 70 pounds to go. I don't want an unfill, but I don't want to ignore a serious problem either. If you've experienced a slip, I'd like to know what that felt like. Thanks.

I have the larger band, and I have not had a fill since August. I've been feeling just fine until lately. I've started getting sick after many meals, which has never happened to me before. Last night I was up in the middle of the night with some pain, and I threw up six times after a meal of salmon and steamed broccoli. That has NEVER happened. It could be just a bug, but I'm worried about a possible slip. I'm trying to be optimistic, because I had a very hard time getting restriction with my band, and was so happy to finally have restriction since August. I've been banded 15 months and have lost 85 pounds. I have 70 pounds to go. I don't want an unfill, but I don't want to ignore a serious problem either. If you've experienced a slip, I'd like to know what that felt like. Thanks.

Have you had any pain at the sight of your band? Cramping, trouble swallowing? Not just keeping food down, but PBing?

I don't know about pain at the band site. Last night was the first time I had any discomfort, and it was more of a tightness in my chest. I would not say I have trouble swallowing, but last night I was too uncomfortable to drink.

I suppose I'm confused about what a "PB" really is, and I'm trying not to be overly gross, but I'd really like some insight. Sorry if this is TMI. I don't frequently throw up food, but lately after I eat I will feel a tightness in my chest about five minutes later and will spit up some "slime". Is that a PB? I have been banded over a year and have not experienced that until lately, but it is common the last few weeks. Last night, I had the "slime" AND I proceeded to lose my entire dinner. That is rare.

Does this sound like a slip? I have not eaten anything today. I'm sore and very tired so I thought I'd just do warm liquids for a while. They are going down fine.

Yup, that sounds like PBing to me. It's when the food can't get past the band, so your body coats the food with mucus and then spits it back out. Yummy, huh? It's not really throwing up, since the food never makes it to your stomach.

Since you've been banded for so long and haven't had much trouble with PBing, you obviously eat small bites and chew well or eat the right foods... The other other thing I can think to ask is, have you had really bad allergies/asthma or felt sick lately? It could cause swelling of the esophogous, which would tighten the band. Obviously it is better safe then sorry, so the smart thing to do would be to call your surgeon and ask him what to do. Please keep us posted!

I don't know about pain at the band site. Last night was the first time I had any discomfort, and it was more of a tightness in my chest. I would not say I have trouble swallowing, but last night I was too uncomfortable to drink.

I suppose I'm confused about what a "PB" really is, and I'm trying not to be overly gross, but I'd really like some insight. Sorry if this is TMI. I don't frequently throw up food, but lately after I eat I will feel a tightness in my chest about five minutes later and will spit up some "slime". Is that a PB? I have been banded over a year and have not experienced that until lately, but it is common the last few weeks. Last night, I had the "slime" AND I proceeded to lose my entire dinner. That is rare.

Does this sound like a slip? I have not eaten anything today. I'm sore and very tired so I thought I'd just do warm liquids for a while. They are going down fine.

I assume the symptoms of a slipped band vary from person to person, but my experience was not being able to eat anything solid, constant heartburn and some pain in my chest and back. If you have any concern, go to the doctor right away! Don't let it get worse! Hopefully you are just tight, but I wish I had gone to the doctor sooner because now I am faced with a new surgery that I am paying for!

I assume the symptoms of a slipped band vary from person to person, but my experience was not being able to eat anything solid, constant heartburn and some pain in my chest and back. If you have any concern, go to the doctor right away! Don't let it get worse! Hopefully you are just tight, but I wish I had gone to the doctor sooner because now I am faced with a new surgery that I am paying for!

Junebug, what caused your slippage?

Usually if you are tight, you can still get something down, but it just gurgles alot along the way, takes forever to eat or you must eat soft foods. You can still have a PB if you are too tight. Being too tight for too long can cause a slip and then you can either eat normal portions or nothing solid. There are usually some other symptoms like heartburn, pain, etc. If you have any concern or question about your band, the best bet is to go to your doctor. The boards are helpful, but in no way substitute for REAL medical advice. I don't know what caused my slip. I waited 3 months after surgery to get a fill because I didn't think I needed it, but I got one because other people banded around the same time had already had one or 2 fills. Then a month later I had to be totally unfilled due to a swollen esophagus. I did have many, many PBs and I didn't always follow the rules, but there is a possibility my band wasn't placed right initially due to my never tolerating my first fill. I doubt the doctor would admit to a misplacement, so we'll just say who knows why I slipped. I do know that I should have gone to the doctor before it was too late. Now I have to pay for a new operation, so that'll teach me!!