What to expect 1 week post-op

:mellow:

I am scheduled to be banded in a few weeks & then attend a Girl's camp with my church the following week. I am wondering if I am crazy to do this or not? I'm not sure how I'll be feeling. I've heard people that go back to work the week after & figured I'd be fine.

From those who've been there, can you tell me how you felt the week after surgery & if you would suggest camping for 3 days?

Hi Dianechef,

I am now 2 1/2 weeks post op. I personally would not have gone camping as I was still pretty sore a week after surgery. In fact, 6 days after surgery I had severe pain in my muscle and my port incision started leaking - pretty scary. The pain is now gone but my incision is still leaking. I'm not sure how comfortable I would have been camping. Best of luck

Chris

I do not know if I would of gone camping either, not so much forthe pain but more so for being on the liquid phase. I wanted my popsicles and jello and hot hot chicken broth, camping may be difficult for the lclear liquid phase and it is possible you wil lstill be umcomfortable from thegas and the incision pain.

I was banded on a Tuesday (5/3/2005), and returned to work the next Tuesday, which was really too soon for me, but I didn't have any sick time and that was all the vacation I could take. On the clear liquids phase I was very tired, and still had quite a bit of gas. On day 10, when I could add protein, my energy picked up, but for that second week it was tough coming to work, and I have a sedentary job and my own office. I would have been quite uncomfortable going camping ... but perhaps you will be different - I guess it depends on how much energy you have to begin with. Good luck!

Well I am a glutti=on (remeber I took three children under 3 with me when I was banded & went back to the hotel to nurse that nught & dragged them through the airport with our luggage and husband) & I lived. I didn't have much "recovery" time but that is because those MOM duties always seem to interfer.

Good luck and take plenty of bottled water and shakes and broth

I had a very severe episode with very intense pain due to gas severals days after, and if I was somewhere without the right products to treat it, it would have been very bad. The use of a heating pad or even two heating pads and a lounge chair sounds more like it.

• 2 weeks later...