Post op

I was just about ready to schedule my appt. with Dr. O in TJ, but am getting concerned over what I am reading about the post op eating regimen. If I have the will power to go 4 weeks without eating, do I really need the Band? This sounds worse than Atkins first 2-week ordeal. I am also scared about food getting "stuck" if you eat too fast. Does this mean you could choke to death? I will not be close to TJ since I live in Ohio. Will I be running for help to some Dr. here due to problems all the time. This scares me. Also, since I will be paying, not insurance, it could get pretty expensive. Any feedback you can give me on the above would be appreciated and help me decide whether I can handle all that is involved. I want to be thin, but is the lifestyle after the surgery too stringent?

Thank you much.

SherylM

Hi Sherylm,

Um let's see, 2 1/2 weeks post op - down 14.5 lbs (more for sure but I don't weight myself until Monday). YUP - definitely worth it! You deal with the hunger pains and belly growling. If you get really hungry try a popsicle or broth - it helps. If you are going to Dr. Ortiz it is 3 weeks liquid - on day 22 you start to eat solid foods (no mushy stuff). Day 8 you add yogart which also helps a lot and on day 10 you add protein shakes 3 times a day. I used Slim Fast and it really helped.

I too, am a little worried about food getting stuck but I took the advice of fellow bandsters and bought baby spoons and crab forks and plan on using them for awhile. Most of the posts I've read say 2 things: if it gets stuck - STOP eatting and wait, or if it gets stuck or too much you will get sick and PB. I guess after the first time it happens I'll know better :D .

PLEASE don't do what I did - you need to line up aftercare before you have the surgery done! I did not and when I got really concerned about my port incision I was lost. I'm not sure where in Ohio you live but I will be seeing Dr. Pleatman in Bloomfield Hills, MI for aftercare. Although I am very happy I had Dr. Ortiz do my surgery I didn't realize Dr. Pleatman will do the surgery and provide aftercare for $2,000 more than Dr. Ortiz. This may have been worth it for me instead of going to TJ.

The last thing I'll say is this - how bad do you want this change to your life? I would have easily paid $10,000 for a personal trainer to come into my house but I couldn't find one. Since my weight problem was on my mind EVERY day and causing so much stress, the surgery and aftercare was definitely worth it for me. Remember, it is a tool only and you'll still need to work at it but if you do, you will never find yourself in this position again. Best of luck!

Chris

Hi Sherylm,

Um let's see, 2 1/2 weeks post op - down 14.5 lbs (more for sure but I don't weight myself until Monday).  YUP - definitely worth it!  You deal with the hunger pains and belly growling.  If you get really hungry try a popsicle or broth - it helps.  If you are going to Dr. Ortiz it is 3 weeks liquid - on day 22 you start to eat solid foods (no mushy stuff).  Day 8 you add yogart which also helps a lot and on day 10 you add protein shakes 3 times a day.  I used Slim Fast and it really helped. 

I too, am a little worried about food getting stuck but I took the advice of fellow bandsters and bought baby spoons and crab forks and plan on using them for awhile.  Most of the posts I've read say 2 things:  if it gets stuck - STOP eatting and wait, or if it gets stuck or too much you will get sick and PB.  I guess after the first time it happens I'll know better  :D

PLEASE don't do what I did - you need to line up aftercare before you have the surgery done!  I did not and when I got really concerned about my port incision I was lost.  I'm not sure where in Ohio you live but I will be seeing Dr. Pleatman in Bloomfield Hills, MI for aftercare.  Although I am very happy I had Dr. Ortiz do my surgery I didn't realize Dr. Pleatman will do the surgery and provide aftercare for $2,000 more than Dr. Ortiz.  This may have been worth it for me instead of going to TJ. 

The last thing I'll say is this - how bad do you want this change to your life?  I would have easily paid $10,000 for a personal trainer to come into my house but I couldn't find one.  Since my weight problem was on my mind EVERY day and causing so much stress, the surgery and aftercare was definitely worth it for me.  Remember, it is a tool only and you'll still need to work at it but if you do, you will never find yourself in this position again.  Best of luck!

Chris

Chris,

Thanks so much for the information. Maybe I should think about going to Dr. P since he is a 4 hour drive instead of 6 hrs on a plane. And also good for fills.

Was your experience in TJ a good one and is the price ALL inclusive as stated?

SherylM

You know I had the same concerns, I though to myself there is no way I can do liquids for 3 weeks, but guess what I did, and trust me it was not bad at all, the swelling and thetrapped gas you have after surgery, you are not even hungry, it is amazing. If we could do it on our own, we would,. it is easy to do a diet for 2-3 weeks but as you know , something happens and we give up...only to gain the weight we lost right back and then some. The great thing about the band is everyday is a new day, if you have a bad day and eat the wrong things, you start over. I can not begin to tell you how my band has changed my life. This is the first time in my life I actually feel I will never gain weight again, it is the greatest tool if you use it correctly.

As far as food getting stuck, no you can not choke to death, if a piece gets stuck , you just throw it up, it can be somewhat painful depending on the size of the piece, but you learn the hard way to take small bites and to chew your food to bits, you also learn what foods work for you and what foods don't.

I have been banded for 14 months and have lost 93 lbs. The last 2 months I have been completely unfilled due to a surgical procedure I had in April, and guess what? I have not gained any weight in this time, I have actually lost 5 lbs in 2 months, it is a lifestyle change, you do have to do some work, your band will not do all of the work. Since you live in Ohio, the most importan thing I can reccomend to you is that you make sure ahead of time prior to your surgery that you find a band Dr. in your area who will take you on as his patient if you do not plan on going back to TJ for your fills and in the event of an emergency. Many U.S. Dr.'s will not take on patients banded in Mexico and if they do they charge nore so line it up ahead of time. You can email Don Mills at Inamed and ask for a list of surgeons in your area and start calling them and ask them if they take Mexico patients, his email address is Don.Mills@inamed.com

It is normal to be a little apprehensive. I think most of us were where you are at pre surgery. I know for me, nothing was standing in my way of getting my life back, not just for me but for my children and husband. My band was just the tool I needed... I LOVE MY BAND!!!

I would do it again tommorrow!!! Without thinking (even counting the people article today)!!!!! If it had to come out- I would do it again as soon as possible- no matter what it cost.

I have 11 lbs till I am a normal BMI and you know what- that will happen!!!!!! Sooner than I thought! My ob didn't even recognize me the other day- he wouldn't have had his nurse not pointed out who I was- I was visiting a friend who recently delivered.

Today I crossed over 100 lb loss. Years ago I gave away my favorite all time thin dress. I cried then cause I knew I would never ever wear it again! I knew I was just going to be a slug and accepted it. I tried and failed so many times -- That I really thought this was going to do it again to.

I have been really lucky- only one fill needed (consistent loss- way to go Dr. M) - I have follow up here if I need it. I plan to go back to TJ in Aug or Sept (wanna meet Shell?) have everything checked and buy some horchata,vanilla & some cool crystal light flavors (I am almost out)

It almost makes me want to go to my highschool 20th reunion this year (OK not really- but heat there is always 25 maybe I will have forgotten all the jerks by then!!!!)

I made the three weeks not bad & I was nursing a 13 month old at the time. It just takes planning and a desire to make it work (and I really wasn't that bad (but I did add clear protein drinks earlier due to baby)

Chris,

Thanks so much for the information. Maybe I should think about going to Dr. P since he is a 4 hour drive instead of 6 hrs on a plane. And also good for fills.

Was your experience in TJ a good one and is the price ALL inclusive as stated?

SherylM

SherylM,

My experience in TJ was fine but my after experience with Dr. Martinez and Dr. Ortiz was GREAT! I was really nervous about a few problems and was able to reach both of these doctors right away. Dr Ortiz is the greatest. The $9500 I paid to have the surgery done in TJ was all inclusive except for travel. My plane fare was $500. For the fills though you need to pay (I think) $100 for xray, hotel and cost of transportation. Dr. Pleatman's site says $12,500 total which includes 2 years aftercare and all the fills you need. Since I had the surgery done in TJ it will cost me $2,000 for Dr. Pleatman to provide the 2 years aftercare. I'm still at a loss on what to do because they tend to be more aggressive with fills in TJ then they are in the US. So perhaps I would only need 2-3 fills in TJ where I may need many more in the US. I don't know - I can't decide. Keep us posted on your decision.

Chris

Shell and Burnsun, you are both an inspiration! I am 20 days banded and was supposed to start solids this Thursday. I couldn't take it any longer though and last night I had a few bites of tuna w/mayo. Of course, right away I felt like a failure. Can you tell us what you have been doing to make you both so successful in your weight loss? I would love to hear how you've made this great change in your life. Thank you!

Chris

Thanks Chris for the kind words...

My success has been mainly from following the bandster rules

I eat my protein first

I do not drink with meal and wait 1 hr after a meal to drink

I waterload, I drink atleast 100 oz's a day of water.

I do not drink any liquid calories like juice, smoothies, the only time I drink liquid calories is when I have 3 days of liquids after a fill other then that it is just water and coffee.

I do not eat soft foods that go through the band quickly like puddings, ice cream, applesauce etc..

I do not weight myself but once a week,I did weigh everyday in the beginning and it became an obsession and I found it was sabatoging me. I started a weekely wiegh in here on the board it does help to only weigh once a week.

I try to not eat junk food, in the beginning I was the perfect bandster but now that Iam 14 months out I tend to splurge every now and then on chocolate :o

I do not live to eat any longer, I eat to live, figuring that out is half the battle, I do not eat for taste like I used to, I eat for nutritional needs, Imake fairly good choices for example I eat egg whites instead of whole eggs, I eat dry toast instead of toast with butter., I eat alot more chicken & fish instead of red meat. I only eat for 20 minutes at meal time, after that I walk away.

Right now I have no fill, I was unfilled on April 20th for a surgical procedure but luckily for me I have lost 5 lbs in that time, somedays I struggle and somedays I dont Iam scheduled to be re-filled on Monday with Dr. Martinez.

I am horrible with theexercise, that is one area I wish I was better at, I am not saying I have never exercised since banding but it is not a prioity, I exercise once a week sometimes twice a week.

I am excited to get my fill, Iam very close to the century mark ( losing 100 lbs)

after I reach that, Iam going to takeit 1 lb at a time.

Sheryl,

I am a newbie and just hit my 22 day mark on Friday. I can't tell you how happy I am to eat food again. The last 3 weeks was the worst and extremely harder then some people shared. I was hungry on day 2 and it took every inch of willpower I had to not eat. I actually chewed up food and spit it out a few times just to satisy my urge to chew. I came to this forum a lot for support and everyone is great. All I can say is that I survived and I made it. Everyone here has told me that it is normal to have doubts so I have decided to take each day 1 at a time. I'm not going to be the type of person to loose a lot of weight quickly, but I signed on for the long term. If it takes 2 years, then I am ok with that. It took me 35 years to form these bad habits and I know it will take time to change them. The band just helps make it possible.

As for eating, I have to slow way down and I can't eat a lot early in the day. I get satisfied much quicker and eat less than usual but I have been eating bad food the last three days because I felt so deprived over the last weeks. I don't have a lot of restriction so I am looking forward to getting my fill.

Dr. Otiz and Martinez are wonderful beyong explanation. I own a medical marketing company and I have never seen such service from any Dr, Hospital or clinic in my life. My mother came with me and she kept shaking her head in amazment. At one point, Dr. Ortiz was in the waiting room with me drinking Hot tea and His fantastic mother was talking with another group that was getting ready to check out. We all just hung out together like a family and no one wanted to leave. I felt comfortable and relaxed. 4 hours later, I was done with surgery and was being given a tour of the clinic by one of the orderlies. You just don't get that kind of service in the states. My mom ended up taking Dr. Ortiz's surgical hat as a souvenier. She has a crush!!!!

I found a fill Dr not to far from me but I really think I'd rather spend the money going to Dr. Ortiz. I live in Portland, Or. Anyway, good luck to you and feel free to e-mail if you need help during the starvation stage. Heeeee Heeeee

Windy

5'2"

192 May 20th

187 June 14th

140 Goal

Shell,

So basically you do exactly what we were all told to do and now, 14 months later, you have lost almost 100 lbs! Before surgery I asked Sandy if I did exactly what I was told and watched the quality of food was there ANY way I wouldn't lose weight? She said ABSOLUTELY NO WAY! I've gone a little nuts this week since being off liquids but you know what? It stops right now! I knew I would have to work at this. You have helped me so much - thank you for sharing your story!

Chris

Chris, the band works. You do have to do your part though. There are wasys to eat past the band or through the band which will hinder your weight loss. I'm not saying Iam a perfect bandster, because believe me I had had my days where I do not make the best of choices but for the most part I do try and follow the rules. The great thing is, on the days I do not make the best choices, not much damage is done since I can not eat very much. So do not beat yourself up if you have a bad day ..To me this has never felt like a diet. I have not weighed or measured my food, I have not had to count points etc...I have lost weight while still enjoying food! Good Luck to you, sounds like you are on your wayt o a happier healthier lifestyle!

I do mostly what I am told. I exercise a lot - but right now I am drinking a protein/icecream shake (I knmow no liquid calories-) but DH has to eat it and I just can alway do the skim milk thing. I have done wvery well. For the most part I do follow the rules too mostly-

But I have enjoyed foods I wanted and that include chease cake and ice cream and lamb and anythin with in reason- just small amounts.

My hardest has been cooking for holidays and such and not being able to eat the left overs befi=ore they went bad!