Psychological Effects of Getting Banded

OK, I'm going to stick my neck out on a limb and hope that nobody will think I'm a freak for posting this, so here goes. I was banded on Friday, January 26th by Dr. Ortiz. Everything went well for the most part, but when I woke up yesterday morning and thought about the fact that I have a band in me, I became really anxious and wondered if I had done the right thing. It's so strange to think that I have a foreign object in my body and that it was my idea to have it put there. I find myself thinking, "What in the world have I done?" and "Why did I do it?" I'm really anxious to have a big ol' piece of plastic or silicone or whatever suddenly inside me.

Has anybody else ever had second thoughts, despite a lack of complications? Maybe I felt that way because I came home from Mexico weighing exactly what I weighed when I went down there and I expected to drop several pounds since I went a few days eating (drinking, actually) so little. Or maybe I didn't give it enough thought and rushed into it. So far I've not had any problem sticking to the liquid diet (but I sure can't wait to get to actually chew something!), but I'm just feeling really anxious.

Is this normal? Am I freaking out for nothing?

Linda W.

I'm sure we've all had second thoughts at some point in this process. This is a major life change and those things can be scary! Just know that we are here for you and the clinic is there for you and you can come and talk to us about anything.

You wouldn't be normal if you didn't have second thoughts.

Do you have a low BMI?

I don't know if you read my post called "my emergency" but I had quite a few thoughts go through my head. I ate an average of 200 calories a day for 5 days and I gained 2 pounds. HUH? WHAT? :-?

The lap band is everchanging and ever amazing. You might even refer to a day with the lap band as....

A BOX OF CHOCOLATES

Because you never know what you're gonna get?

I'm going to send you my number. Call me if you'd like. ><'

Michele

Hang in there! This is a big change in your life so the feelings you have are to be expected. I am getting banded on Feb.9th and no matter how much research I do and even when I feel ready for it,

I still get nervous. I guess it's only natural. Give it some time and I bet you will start feeling better about it all.

Good luck and keep us updated on your feelings.

I admit I'm petrified. I haven't told my family yet (and may not ever, lol) and I'll be going alone. I've had surgeries before, even putting foreign objects in (leg surgery several years ago) but in the back of my head I keep thinking "Why can't you do this YOURSELF?!!". But I know I can't or I would have already. I've been yo-yo'ing with my weight all my life which I've heard is worse that being overweight for a long period of time. My doctor keeps telling me I'm healthy, but with 200 pounds on a 5'0" body, I know it's a only a matter of time. We don't have any history of diabetes in my family, but everyone who's died naturally has done so as a result of heart attack, albeit in their 80's.

I'm just tired of not being full - ever :( I can remember my mother using those Ayds (sp) chewies that were supposed to help you lose weight in the early 70's. I tried them. Problem was, I'd eat them literally like candy! I even remember eating chewable vitamins on Saturday mornings because it was the only food I could reach. I was 4 at the time. How I didn't OD on something is beyond me :unsure:

Personally, I know in my heart I'm doing the right thing for ME. As long as YOU feel that way, at least most of the time, you're good to go :) It also might not hurt to see a therapist and see if there's something else "eating" at you.

Don't worry about not losing any weight right after surgery. Your body is swollen and cranky and full of gas and it's not gonna give ANYTHING up without a fight right now!!!

OK, I'm going to stick my neck out on a limb and hope that nobody will think I'm a freak for posting this, so here goes. I was banded on Friday, January 26th by Dr. Ortiz. Everything went well for the most part, but when I woke up yesterday morning and thought about the fact that I have a band in me, I became really anxious and wondered if I had done the right thing. It's so strange to think that I have a foreign object in my body and that it was my idea to have it put there. I find myself thinking, "What in the world have I done?" and "Why did I do it?" I'm really anxious to have a big ol' piece of plastic or silicone or whatever suddenly inside me.

Has anybody else ever had second thoughts, despite a lack of complications? Maybe I felt that way because I came home from Mexico weighing exactly what I weighed when I went down there and I expected to drop several pounds since I went a few days eating (drinking, actually) so little. Or maybe I didn't give it enough thought and rushed into it. So far I've not had any problem sticking to the liquid diet (but I sure can't wait to get to actually chew something!), but I'm just feeling really anxious.

Linda W.

Linda W.

LOL I THINK I THOUGHT THE SAME THING AFTER ABOUT A WEEK, WHAT THE HELL DID I DO!!! BUT I'M LOVING IT :)

HI LInda.. I agree with you and I think abou tthis myself.. I have not gotten banded.. I may consider it after I try for a baby. But the one thing that scares me is having somehting foreign inside of me.. and what the HECK did I just do? Seriously.. I am talking myself into .. why dont you just try to lose it naturally.. and then i go back to the FOREIGN thing in my body I get so nervous. GLad your honest t share this with us. Hope to hear more about your thought process!

Just remember... no matter how much research you do about the banding process... you don't truly know what its like to live with the band until after you've actually had surgery and realy after that first fill... its a whole new ballgame!

I'd also like to suggest if anyone has any questions about their fill, post-op diet or questoins about symptoms they are experiencing that you email me directly or call the clinic! I know the board is helpful for venting and for support... but specific advice should come from your doctor!!

Lori...thanks for your reply. I have to agree. While I know we certainly appreciate the support, excitement and encouragement from posters like LittleRoo's...I think that unless you have actually been banded, gotten fills, etc., you should refrain from offering specific advice to others. Its irresponsible and unwarranted to tell someone what they should feel after surgery or after a fill, if you haven't felt it yourself.

I've been banded nearly a year, and I can assure you that until you've been through the entire process, you can't possibly understand what it feels like, or what it should feel like.

I sincerely encourage those of you who have yet to be banded to continue with your research and questions and please seek encouragement from this board...it is a wonderful board. I found it to be a very useful tool before getting banded. That being said...if you are unbanded, PLEASE cease with the advice giving to those of us who have actually had the operation and are living with this on a daily basis. I assure you...you can't possibly understand what we go through (although we are glad to share with you--since we actually have the band), until you've been there yourself.

Thanks and Good Luck...

Kris

Banded 3/22/06 by Dr. Ortiz

222/174/142

p.s...Linda, I've never really had second thoughts as to the band, but every now and again I do wish I could chow down on a burger and fries! It will get better. Hang in there and just take it one day at a time.

I woke up a week after surgery with the exact same reaction. What did I do...I have a piece of plactic in my stomach!!! I got over it. Once the scale started moving, I felt much better. Now, 5 months after surgery, I just consider it part of my. It as much me as my arm is. I am completely comfortable with it and so glad to have it. I could live without it, but I'm glad I don't have to. I'll live longer and healthier. Don't forget how many people have foreign objects in their body, and while they may have the same reaction, everyone gets through it. There are pacemakers, stints, screws, plates, artificial joint, staples, and all kinds of things in people. They help us function normally, and so does the band.

Becki

...Now, 5 months after surgery, I just consider it part of my. It as much me as my arm is. I am completely comfortable with it and so glad to have it. I could live without it, but I'm glad I don't have to. I'll live longer and healthier....

Becki

This is true. It does become another part of you...a part that you have to learn to work with, but a permanent part, nonetheless. I agree with Becki in that we certainly could live without it, but I sure am glad that I don't have to. Nearly a year out, its hard to remember what it was like before I had the band. Well, I remember being overweight, that's for sure...but, my point is that it truly does become a part of who you are. The things that you give up become less important and living with this and eating the way it demands you eat...well, they become "normal" for you. Its funny how perception changes and what we used to see as a "normal" amount of food, now seems enormous!

This is true. It does become another part of you...a part that you have to learn to work with, but a permanent part, nonetheless. I agree with Becki in that we certainly could live without it, but I sure am glad that I don't have to. Nearly a year out, its hard to remember what it was like before I had the band. Well, I remember being overweight, that's for sure...but, my point is that it truly does become a part of who you are. The things that you give up become less important and living with this and eating the way it demands you eat...well, they become "normal" for you. Its funny how perception changes and what we used to see as a "normal" amount of food, now seems enormous!

:lol: LOL Kris, I can relate!!!!!!!!!!! ..........and it's only been 3 months!!!

Teri

About 4 days after I was banded, I thought exactly the same thing! "Am I nuts!, What did I do!, Why couldn't I just lose the weight myself!" and "I have this thing in me and I can feel it, and it's weird!". I wasn't sorry though, it was worth it to me if it meant I'd be able to not only lose the weight, but this time keep it off. I think I was just feeling this way because at that point I was still fairly swollen and could actually feel the port much more, plus I could feel it whenever I bent over. I didn't know then that I would hardly notice it once the swelling went down. Those thoughts only went through my mind briefly, and the longer I've had my band, the more I treasure it! It's been about 7 weeks now, I've lost 24lbs. and I hardly feel as though I have a foreign object in me. I didn't lose anything for a few days either, but then suddenly the scale showed a 2 lb. loss, and it's gradually gone down from there. There are some days however, that it goes up a couple pounds. As long as I'm doing what I'm suppose to do, I just don't worry about it, as it's usually gone within a day or so. The band isn't a cure all, but a very helpful tool. Reading what others say on this board has helped me learn to understand how to use this tool, and get the best results I can from it.

Now, isn't it nice to know you're not the only one that thought it was crazy, even if for a brief moment?? Good Luck, and let us know how you're doing.

Kim

I went through some depression right after surgery (onset by a death of a family member and already being an emotional basket case) and I had a few days where I wanted the band OUT. I beat myself up for doing something so drastic and how could I be so weak that I couldn't do it on my own. The reality was I wanted to turn to food for comfort and I couldn't. Without having food to turn to I had to deal with raw emotions rather than burying them in the pain of overeating. I think it is natural to have doubts before and after the procedure. The band is life altering and no matter how much you read or think you are prepared everything changes after that silicone band is in place. For me it has been all for the better, even through all the tears!

4 months later I often forget that I am banded. I have learned how to eat and live with the band and it does not hinder anything except my ability to eat a double cheese burger.

I went through some depression right after surgery (onset by a death of a family member and already being an emotional basket case) and I had a few days where I wanted the band OUT. I beat myself up for doing something so drastic and how could I be so weak that I couldn't do it on my own. The reality was I wanted to turn to food for comfort and I couldn't. Without having food to turn to I had to deal with raw emotions rather than burying them in the pain of overeating. I think it is natural to have doubts before and after the procedure. The band is life altering and no matter how much you read or think you are prepared everything changes after that silicone band is in place. For me it has been all for the better, even through all the tears!

4 months later I often forget that I am banded. I have learned how to eat and live with the band and it does not hinder anything except my ability to eat a double cheese burger.

Wow! MimIN,

Look at you! 60 some pounds lost.!!How wonderful is that??????? Good goin!! I am sooooooooo looking forward to being 60 pounds down. Kudos for you, great job.

Teri =D>

Linda W.

Thanks, everybody, for sharing your experiences and words of encouragement. This week, I'm feeling much more secure in my decision to get banded and am no longer feeling emotionally traumatized by having done it. I lost 14 pounds on the pre-op and have lost 5 pounds so far since surgery (1/26), so I guess I'm doing ok as far as weight loss goes. I feel like I could eat a ton of soup if I let myself, so I don't think I have much, if any, restriction without my first fill. I'm thinking that I'd better schedule mine for right at six weeks because I'm afraid I'll go out of control when I get to solids if I don't have a restriction.

Did anybody gain weight between the time they started solids and had their first fill? That scares the you-know-what out of me.

Thanks, everybody, for sharing your experiences and words of encouragement. This week, I'm feeling much more secure in my decision to get banded and am no longer feeling emotionally traumatized by having done it. I lost 14 pounds on the pre-op and have lost 5 pounds so far since surgery (1/26), so I guess I'm doing ok as far as weight loss goes. I feel like I could eat a ton of soup if I let myself, so I don't think I have much, if any, restriction without my first fill. I'm thinking that I'd better schedule mine for right at six weeks because I'm afraid I'll go out of control when I get to solids if I don't have a restriction.

Did anybody gain weight between the time they started solids and had their first fill? That scares the you-know-what out of me.

Hi Linda,

No worries about you gaining weight back in between and waiting to get your first fill. Most people do gain some back, it is normal. And I happened to be one of those people along with my son. We both gained all our weight back. Some people need the restriction and others do not. I met a lady in the waiting room while there for our first fill and she had lost 140 pounds without ever having ONE fill. The band was restriction enough for that time for her. So, you may, or you may not. But it's only for a short time until you get the fill and once your filled to the right level, you will lose. :D