JUNK POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lori......................

I did get the post and I won't post the reasons why here... but right now I'm not adding another moderator to the forum. Its more involved that just letting someone delete posts it means having someone representing OCC, knowing what's OK to say and what's not. I appreciate the problems that spammers cause. Kevin hasn't been able to be around as much as he was because he started a new job (CONGRATS Kevin!)

I try to keep up as well as I can... even if we had 10 people deleting posts.... they would still slip through. I'll be on the lookout for another moderator - someone I know Dr. O would approve of - someone that is a patient of OCC and is banded and that has some time to devote to the board - which is a lot to ask considering its a volunteer position!

Reporting them to me helps out a lot - that way I know immediately instead of stumbling across them when I sign on.

Thanks for helping me watch our board :)

:angry::angry: I think I read about a week or so ago, littleroo was willing to help with the junk posts. She's on 3 times a day. Did you get that post Lori??? I think it would be a huge help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teri

I also volunteered to help, as I visit usually a couple times per day. However, Lori told me it was very difficult to get Dr. Ortiz to approve giving Kevin spaminator access, and she doubted doc would ok a second backup. This is how she worded it to me.

I did get the post and I won't post the reasons why here... but right now I'm not adding another moderator to the forum. Its more involved that just letting someone delete posts it means having someone representing OCC, knowing what's OK to say and what's not. I appreciate the problems that spammers cause. Kevin hasn't been able to be around as much as he was because he started a new job (CONGRATS Kevin!)

I try to keep up as well as I can... even if we had 10 people deleting posts.... they would still slip through. I'll be on the lookout for another moderator - someone I know Dr. O would approve of - someone that is a patient of OCC and is banded and that has some time to devote to the board - which is a lot to ask considering its a volunteer position!

Reporting them to me helps out a lot - that way I know immediately instead of stumbling across them when I sign on.

I will be in San Diego, then TJ for a fill next Tuesday Feb 6th. I was banded by OCC, and am going for a second fill. Perhaps I could meet with Dr. Ortiz again briefly, and get his approval. It is your board, Lori, and up to you, but the Spam is frustrating, and seeing 3 or 4 new spams and being able to do nothing is frustrating.

Hello Fellow Bandsters!

I wanted to jump in and pass on some information that may assist in putting a face on addressing spam on the OCC board. Thank you Lori, I've started a new job and have had less time to check the board for spam during each 24 hour period.

Dr. Ortiz & all the OCC team have my deepest appreciation for using their expertise to make me a better and healthier person. Volunteering to give back just a little is very satisfying. Being able to stamp out the majority of spam using the software of the board itself in an automated fashion I know is Lori's ultimate goal. It would be awesome to never have to spend endless hours undoing these internet taggers work and being able to use the board as intended.

Yesterday I happened to be on the board to delete these ugly posts at the same time a spammer was spreading his garbage. He immediately identified me as deleting his posts and placing restrictions on his account. There were close to 20 messages that I deleted. My I.P. address was attacked and a Trojan was placed on my system to disengage my ability to access my network. It took me 3 hours to reverse the breach. These spammers are sophisticated enough to know how to rid themselves of those that compromise them and have tools at the ready to basically kill your system if they really want to. Yes I have ultra high security in place of the commercial variety on my network. It still is not enough to stop them as just opening a single port for access to a network can cause a vulnerability even using highly restrictive rules on your protocols. The first time it happened in early December, 2006. I lost some data but the hassle was formatting my drive and restoring my system to its previous state with additional security. My system has been attacked 4 times successfully and many other times when they were unable to breach it. I will be further addressing security issues on my own network but will not divulge how here for obvious reasons.

It is a real good feeling to help rid the board of the spam but I believe Lori's work with the webmaster has already decreased the threat significantly.

If you see spam and report it you have my thanks as Lori indicated it makes these rogue posts much easier to address in a timely manner. :D Kevin

I think Lori and Kevin are doing a really good job at cutting down on the spam. It is wayyyyy better than it was and I'm sure it could be a full time job if they let it. Any way... I think you two are awesome! I just ignore all the fishy looking posts now. And with the exception of the weekends, I see less and less of them. Pat yourselves on the back. Nita

Hello Fellow Bandsters!

I wanted to jump in and pass on some information that may assist in putting a face on addressing spam on the OCC board. Thank you Lori, I've started a new job and have had less time to check the board for spam during each 24 hour period.

Dr. Ortiz & all the OCC team have my deepest appreciation for using their expertise to make me a better and healthier person. Volunteering to give back just a little is very satisfying. Being able to stamp out the majority of spam using the software of the board itself in an automated fashion I know is Lori's ultimate goal. It would be awesome to never have to spend endless hours undoing these internet taggers work and being able to use the board as intended.

Yesterday I happened to be on the board to delete these ugly posts at the same time a spammer was spreading his garbage. He immediately identified me as deleting his posts and placing restrictions on his account. There were close to 20 messages that I deleted. My I.P. address was attacked and a Trojan was placed on my system to disengage my ability to access my network. It took me 3 hours to reverse the breach. These spammers are sophisticated enough to know how to rid themselves of those that compromise them and have tools at the ready to basically kill your system if they really want to. Yes I have ultra high security in place of the commercial variety on my network. It still is not enough to stop them as just opening a single port for access to a network can cause a vulnerability even using highly restrictive rules on your protocols. The first time it happened in early December, 2006. I lost some data but the hassle was formatting my drive and restoring my system to its previous state with additional security. My system has been attacked 4 times successfully and many other times when they were unable to breach it. I will be further addressing security issues on my own network but will not divulge how here for obvious reasons.

It is a real good feeling to help rid the board of the spam but I believe Lori's work with the webmaster has already decreased the threat significantly.

If you see spam and report it you have my thanks as Lori indicated it makes these rogue posts much easier to address in a timely manner. :D Kevin

Gosh, Kevin, I had no idea what you have been going through. Thanks for all your time and effort. I'm sorry that happened to you. Best of Everything to you in your new job. Like you, I love to give as well, and couldn't agree more with you in regards to the Ortiz Team. A rare group of individuals indeed!!! - Love them All! Teri :)

Gosh, Kevin, I had no idea what you have been going through. Thanks for all your time and effort. I'm sorry that happened to you. Best of Everything to you in your new job. Like you, I love to give as well, and couldn't agree more with you in regards to the Ortiz Team. A rare group of individuals indeed!!! - Love them All! Teri :)

Teri, Thank you for the kudos on my new job. I am with you..... when you find certain individuals with qualities that inspire as well as facilitate people like myself to be better human beings I get a gut feeling that they are rare indeed and if I can contribute even in a small way to their cause I feel compelled to offer whatever I can. Lori was the first to inspire me in this manner as I was scared and excited at the prospect of banding and she had the talent to address all my concerns and educate me herself or get the answers for me in a professioinal and timely manner. Dr. Ortiz is obviously a great surgeon but he has to be an inspiring leader and people manager too. This is obvious by the way his staff treat each patient with care, understanding and how to put to best use their academic expertise to meet each ones needs.

How many surgeons and their staff truly love working with each other and are so accessable to clientelle for help even after the bill is paid in full. Not many and when they are the top in their field its even more amazing.

Spam is really a non-issue in comparison to the lives this man and his team save everyday. My only thought is not to ever let spam distract from the good this board and its members do for each other or it truly has accomplished it's fateful task.

I check the boards several times per day... I know ours is one of the cleanest boards out there!! I know we still need to do better... but I do think we are doing pretty well

Thanks for all the help Kev, I really appreciate all you do! and I'd like to thank all the posters that take an active role in reporting spam to us instead of just posting complaints about it - its helps us to get rid of it that much faster!! thank you =D>

Lori/Kev,

I'm curious, do these spammers actually have to register and then place their nasty posts, or is it all automated? I know spam email is automated, but is there a way to automate the registration and posting process? Can you set the forum to be require someone to register and then be "approved" by an administrator before posting is allowed? Would that slow any off this down?

Also, can the OCC logo at the top be linked back to the main website? I thought it was in the past, but now it is just to the forum. Or place as another link somewhere on the page.

Thanks, Roger

We are currently working on seeing if we can track an IP address and block it.

If that doesn't work we will have to look at "approving" people prior to posting. I don't want to get into approving individual posts because one of the nice things on our board is that people can get an answer back quickly from another bandster... if each post had to wait for approval (i get a headache just thinking about it! #-o ) I'd have to view and read each post first.

We really are trying to reduce the spammers and reduce the time each bad post is up... again - if you report it - then Kevin and I plus our webmaster are alerted immediately... and we delete it ASAP

ANOTHER GAL AND MYSELF MANAGER A MINIATURE SHOE BOARD. BEFORE ANYONE POSTS, THEY HAVE TO GIVE US THEIR NAME, ADDRESS, STATE AND COUNTRY ALONG WITH A BIRTHDAY. BETWEEN THE TWO OF US, WE SEEM TO HANDLE THE MEMBERSHIPS FINE BY JUST CHECK EMAIL 3 - 5 TIMES A DAY, SENDING A WELCOME CONFIRMATION EMAIL. WE'VE HAD 2 SPAMMERS IN 7 YEARS. BLUEHOST, HOSTS OUR BOARD WHICH HAS NEVER BEEN DOWN FOR MORE THEN 10 MINUTES IN ALL THAT TIME. IF SOMEONE LOOKS FISHY, WE EMAIL THEM BACK TO GET MORE INFORMATION AND IT SEEMS TO KEEP THE SPAMMER AWAY :) AND THE PEOPLE THAT REALLY WANT TO JOIN, WITH US.

IF NEED BE, WE CAN BLOCK IP ADDRESSES ALSO

I would like to add, that before you open any link on the topics posted since your last visit and check the:

1. Time is was written. Most of these jerks post at odd hours.

2. How many times it has been read. If the number of times is zero, don't give them the satisfaction of opening it. I actually open them sometimes and send them "nasty-grams". It's just a way to release my frustration.

3. Pammie's idea is great. It would be nice to have a "Welcome Wagon" of sorts to make the new bandsters/bandsters to be feel comfortable and not think our site is spam central.

Keep up the good work spaminators!

Not only are you shrinking (mentally), your clever ideas (mentally) to keep the bad people off our site is growning!

154 Michele :D