Got lap band on August 29.2006

Hello. My name is Kerri and i live in North Central Alabama. I was banded at Trinity Medical Center in Birmingham by Dr Scott Pennington on August 29,2006. My presurgery weight was 267 lbs. Today is Feb 1, 2007 and I weigh 225 lbs. I feel a total weight loss of 42 lbs is great. I have had one fill, in October. (1/2 cc) I am scheduled for another fill on Feb. 8th. I am excited about this b/c I am at a kind of standstill. I have weighed my current weight for about 3 weeks now. I have not had one carbonated drink since my surgery, AT ALL. I drink skim milk, tea w/ splenda and crystal light. ALso coffee in the mornings. I am not hungry between meals and generally never snack.

If I could mention anything I know I do wrong, it is drink too much with my meals and not enough excercise. I hope to remedy this when the weather warms up a bit. It's just miserable outside right now. I have got to get my mind set to stop drinking while I eat. I feel if I do these things I will have continued success.

I am 5 ft 5 in tall. I started out in a size 24 jeans and now wear a size 18. It is fun to see all the clothes piling up in tubs that are now too big. I have also gone down a cup in my bra size, and 2 sizes around. I have had no sickness...at all. The day I got my fill, I didn't feel too good and kind of layed around that day, but I have never vomited...not once since my surgery.

I would recommend the lap band to anyone who is considering it.

I would love to hear from other people and your experiences.

Thanks

KERRI

Kerri,

If I can offer you any advice...its stop drinking with your meals. Period. End of Story! I know that this is the thing that has been the hardest for me to follow. I was banded nearly a year ago, and most of the time I have been a "good" bandster. Thus, I was rewarded by the scales going down.

I recently relocated my entire existence to another country, and with all the stress that came from that move, I ignored what I should have been doing and so the scale didn't move for two whole months!! I didn't need a fill...I was just ignoring what I should have been doing.

I got back on track a couple of weeks ago and wouldn't you know it...the scale started going down again. If you are looking for a good exercise...check out the DVD called "Walk Away The Pounds". Its great! Its super easy to follow and it will make inches disappear.

Congratulations on your decision (42 lbs is great!!) and best of luck to you!

Kris

Hi Kerri, :-h

I am getting banded on Feb. 9th by Dr. Ortiz. I weigh 265 and I will be so excited when I get to 225. Congratulations! I am ready to not have to shop at Lane Bryant anymore. I need more options.

Giving up Diet Coke will be hard for me but I just have to do it. Keep us posted on your success. The message boards have been really helpful for me to determine if the band will work for me.

Good luck! =D>

Hey, I was banded on Aug. 28th and my starting weight was 265. It sounds like we have a lot in common.

I agree with not drinking with meals. It is hard, but you really waste the band that way. You can get used to it though. I don't really even think about not drinking with meals now. And I used to drink a lot!!!

Pamela...I thought that giving up diet coke would be the hardest for me. But it really hasn't. I had such a diet coke habit. At least a 2 liter a day. My whole family growing up used to go to 7-11 often for super big gulps. For a while they had the family gulp...meant for a family to share.. but not us. We each got one. Anyway, I loved diet coke. I was known for my diet coke. But I have been fine. There have been a few times when I kind of wanted one. Especially in the begininng. I was a little jealous of people's diet coke with free refills when we went out, while I had nothing. But I have been amazed at how well I have adjusted. I keep alot of crystal light singles around, so it is really easy for me to mix up something yummy to drink, and that really helps me.

Good luck to both of you.

Becki

Thank you everybody for your nice welcome and comments.

I was so nervous about giving up Diet Pepsi and Diet Mt Dew. I drank about 3-4 Diet Mt Dews a day. But you know what? It's been about 5 months now and I haven't missed it one bit. I have noticed that since I gave up the carbonation, I haven't had the afternoon swelling in my fingers and ankles that I sometimes had. I know the weight loss has helped, but I also contribute the no carbonation rule as a big factor.

You are all very encouraging. It helps to have other people to "talk" to who have been through something similiar. I am going to try my best, (Starting today) to not drink anything while I'm eating and I know I'll see more results. ;)

Hi, I was another Diet Coke/Diet Dr. Pepper fanatic, but my favorite drink that I have found since is Lipton diet Green Tea with Citrus! It's great, zero cal, and you may even be getting some antioxidants from it! My Mom was here over the holidays and she is also a diet soda drinker (although, never as bad as I was) and she wouldn't touch my tea at all, the idea of Green Tea totally turned her off, but then she needed something quick to get one of her pills down with and I handed her my tea, and sure enough, now she's hooked too! Actually, she was too hooked, she drank all of them I had and we had to make a run to the store for more! Anyway, it sounds like you've done very well so far. I too have a hard time not drinking with meals, but I'm working on it. Good Luck!

Kim

See, you guys already made me feel better about giving up diet soda. Thanks so much!! I am going to try that green tea! Sounds healthy and tasty. You can't ask for more than that. One week from now and I will be banded. Spring is on the way and I am going to be feeling and looking better!! I am getting so excited about the changes to come.

Kerri, hang in there and loose that 10 pounds plus some more! You can do it and you have the tool to help. Just avoid drinking while you eat. Let us know how it goes and when you drop that ten. Summer is on it's way ladies and we will be lookin' and feelin' good !!!!!!!!!!! =D>