Scuba Diving after Lapband

Hi,

I am very very seriously considering LapBand surgery. I am 5'4" and weigh 310 pounds. I have a very active job as a scuba instructor. I scuba dive 6 days a week and do lots of heavy lifting constantly (45 pound tanks - one in each hand... carrying, lifting and such). Does anyone have any ideas on how long the post op would be before I cound go back to work? I sooo want to do this... but, have to make sure I can still work to pay for it! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Dottie

Dottie,

I had my surgery nearly a year ago and can tell you that I was back in the water about 8 weeks after surgery. You will want to wait at least that long before any heavy lifting (and even then, be careful).

I have been diving for nearly 20 years and so this was also a concern of mine before I committed to the surgery. Rest assured, once your body heals from the surgery, diving is no problem!!

Good Luck,

Kris

Wow, what an awesome job. I scuba dive also. I also have three kids at home, and asked about how long I would need to lay off of lifting them or their stuff. I was told three weeks. And my daughter was 2. But you are also not supposed to use your stomach muscles (no crunches or sit ups) for 3 months. So you might have to adapt your lifting and make sure you use your legs. I get sloppy on proper lifting techniques, and after surgery was the time to try it.

I had no pain however and felt great. I did lift my daughter some during that three weeks. It just doesn't work for a mom to not lift her toddler.

Becki

Dottie,

I had my surgery nearly a year ago and can tell you that I was back in the water about 8 weeks after surgery. You will want to wait at least that long before any heavy lifting (and even then, be careful).

I have been diving for nearly 20 years and so this was also a concern of mine before I committed to the surgery. Rest assured, once your body heals from the surgery, diving is no problem!!

Good Luck,

Kris

Thanks Kris... I just called D.A.N. (Diver's Alert Network)... and they said there such be no problems diving after the surgery. Generally speaking... how often did you need to go back and see the doctor for follow-up?

Thanks again!

Wow, what an awesome job. I scuba dive also. I also have three kids at home, and asked about how long I would need to lay off of lifting them or their stuff. I was told three weeks. And my daughter was 2. But you are also not supposed to use your stomach muscles (no crunches or sit ups) for 3 months. So you might have to adapt your lifting and make sure you use your legs. I get sloppy on proper lifting techniques, and after surgery was the time to try it.

I had no pain however and felt great. I did lift my daughter some during that three weeks. It just doesn't work for a mom to not lift her toddler.

Becki

Thanks Becki,

The lifting is a major concern for me... since I do quite alot every day.

I appreciate the help!

Dottie

We just banded a scuba instructor from Hawaii in January.

Doctor told him 3 weeks before going to back to instructing.

You can get back in the ocean 10 days after the surgery, but no lifting for 3 weeks.

Call or email me for more information !!