general food question

hopeful

I stocked up on slimfasts, and broths. After the first week of the postop diet, you can have liquid yogurt also, but you might want to wait on those, as they expire. I also stocked up on the single bottle things of Crystal light, or the off brands.

Good luck

Becki

i stocked up on slim fast optima because it helped my hunger pangs better than regular. also, i made homemade chicken broth because it tastes SO much better than canned and froze it in individual containers for after surgery. juices with no pulp, gatorade, popscicles (dr. miranda said WITH sugar) and CRYSTAL LIGHT!!! My husband and I went shopping while we were in TJ and bought what they call C-light - really, just Crystal Light in Mexico. It is much cheaper and they have a ton of flavors we don't have in the States. I always have some of that in my fridge - I think we spent $20 on it and it was worth it. I can't wait to go get some more when I get my fill!

Does anyone know of something to stock up on post-op that is lactose-free? Something along the lines of Slim-fast but with no dairy? I've seen a bunch at GNC but just checking if anyone has tried any that actually taste good :)

~Renee

I'm queen of convenience so I had to make sure everything was already made and ready. I stocked up on sugar free jello cups, Swanson's beef and chicken broth (in the containers with lids) sugar free Popsicles, sf freezies, crystal light single bottles and a lot of bottled water. When I was in Tijuana I also bought a ton of c-light so I had a variety to choose from, not pre-made but I got the to-go's so was easy to add to a bottle of water.

Does anyone know of something to stock up on post-op that is lactose-free? Something along the lines of Slim-fast but with no dairy? I've seen a bunch at GNC but just checking if anyone has tried any that actually taste good :)

~Renee

I haven't tried them yet but I bought some shelf stable "Mighty Milk" that's lactose free. After buying it, I found it's high in calories/sugar/fat though. I'm trying to find and taste test as many powder and RTD protein drinks as I can before I get the band. Proactive drinking ;)

I'm queen of convenience so I had to make sure everything was already made and ready. I stocked up on sugar free jello cups, Swanson's beef and chicken broth (in the containers with lids) sugar free Popsicles, sf freezies, crystal light single bottles and a lot of bottled water. When I was in Tijuana I also bought a ton of c-light so I had a variety to choose from, not pre-made but I got the to-go's so was easy to add to a bottle of water.

Since I'm guess the Hotel Dr. Ortiz uses is used to "our kind of guests", do they have clear liquid options to get at the hotel? Are there any stores w/in walking distance?

Since I'm guess the Hotel Dr. Ortiz uses is used to "our kind of guests", do they have clear liquid options to get at the hotel? Are there any stores w/in walking distance?

Yes to both questions. The hotel restaurant (and room service) offers chicken broth. And, MAN, did it taste good that first day. Also, there is a convenience store right across from the hotel - kind of an AM/PM, 7-11 type store. They have juices, water, things like that. I think my husband walked to that store 15 times... :rolleyes:

Also, the hotel has jello! I had strawberry jello when I got back to the hotel, after surgery...while watching my best friend sit across from me eating a fabulous meal. Guess it was too much to ask that if I couldn't eat, that she shouldn't eat either??? Ah well.

Hopeful,

I am going to schedule my band for Mar 6th! We will probably pass each other at the airport!!! :rolleyes: I am very hopeful as well and still have a lot of questions. I'd like to have someone to visit with along the way that may experince something that I haven't yet or maybe have asked a question I haven't thought of yet!

Good Luck to you, Rhon

I haven't tried them yet but I bought some shelf stable "Mighty Milk" that's lactose free. After buying it, I found it's high in calories/sugar/fat though. I'm trying to find and taste test as many powder and RTD protein drinks as I can before I get the band. Proactive drinking ;)

Ugh, awful stuff. Don't buy it :(

I am getting my band on March 8th and would like to ask what are some things to stock up on now for right before and after the surgery? I think I will do better if I just have almost everything I need here at home. Any ideas?

I found the Adkins Advantage chocolate to be the best. I tried about 12 differant kinds. I didn like Edge, Slim Fast has to much sugar, optima yuck...Anything at GNC was awful. Powder mixes ewww.....

I also stuck to minute maid light cherry limeade it is not carbonated no sugar really and it taste awesome. I did A lot of Beef broth it helps becaus eit has the Salt and flavoe. Chicken is not as satisfying in my opinion.

My Dr required 10 days liquids before surgery . Most dont require that long. Im on the 21 Days now.

I have started veg. broth with a little potato flakes THIN, I also made blended up chili..lol.. It was good too. Today I made tuna and mayo in the blender and added it to Cottage Cheese. Ny Dr said for the 21 daYs Anything like cottage cheese, yogurt and anything that you could get threw a straw is a go. Sugar free popsicles and Bomb pops are Awesome. Also bryers makes a Sugar free blue box ice cream items CARB Smart ALL are cood even the Ice Cream Bars.

Just in case anyone other than I wanted to know... SlimFast just came out with an Easy to Digest (Lactose-Free) Shake. It is actually pretty good! I've bought the Vanilla but it also comes in Chocolate, which I'm sure I will try soon! 10 days to go... Whoohoo! =D>

~Renee

To be banded 2/26/07!!!!!

Guest blueskies7890
I found the Adkins Advantage chocolate to be the best.

That's pretty funny, I'm starting my pre-op diet today and this is the kind I bought too :) Thanks for doing all the research for me! I wasn't sure about the taste of it at first, but I added a packet of Splenda to it and it was great :)

Thanks for the post op information. I'm 8 days till surgery; my doctor's office hasn't given me a post op diet and I need ample time to prepare :)