Pregnancy and the Band

Hi! I'm getting banded by Dr. Ortiz on Feb 26 and was wondering if anybody has any info about others who have gotten pregnant after being banded. My husband and I are looking into having children a couple years from now and I just wanted some insight into possible problems I may experience, if any. I have read online about all the positivity surrounding getting pregnant after dropping so much weight, but I am looking for a more personal experience with someone who has actually done this or if you know of someone.

Thanks! And also, I would like to meet anyone who will also be getting banded on Feb 26 by Dr. Ortiz. And anyone from Houston :)

Hi Renee,

While I've never been pregnant...I chose the band because of the flexibility it offers. You will notice after getting banded - in your weeks before getting your first fills - that you can eat almost "normally". If pregnant, they can pull all the fluid out of the band and allow you to eat "normally". (I use normal in quotes, because once you are banded, your perception of what is "normal" changes greatly.)

I have no idea if I even want to have kids...but, its nice to know that with the band, the option is still there.

Good Luck!

Kris

The band does not interfere with pregnancy, in fact we've had several patients that had been having difficulty conceiving and once they were banded and lost weight... voila... baby time :)

Your OB can tell you when its time to take in more calories, then you need to have an unfill. Once you've had the baby and recovered from that, you simply return for a fill.

How awesome is that

The band does not interfere with pregnancy, in fact we've had several patients that had been having difficulty conceiving and once they were banded and lost weight... voila... baby time :)

Your OB can tell you when its time to take in more calories, then you need to have an unfill. Once you've had the baby and recovered from that, you simply return for a fill.

How awesome is that

I would be scared to have any needle come near my while I am pregnant. I wonder how safe that can be and if there are any risks.

I had the same question, but I was reassured by my obgyn that everything would be fine. They advised waiting just a couple of months to let my stomach heal before starting to try. We have decided to wait almost a year just so I can lose some weight and really enjoy my new body. You may ask your doctor as well, but I am sure they will tell you that pregnancy after the band is fine - as a matter of fact that you might increase your chances of getting pregnant after losing weight. And, for the needle concern while you are pregnant - tons of needles come near you while you are pregnant - the only one you would have near you is when you first find out you are pregnant. You would want to have your fill removed completely. The needle wouldn't come anywhere NEAR your uterus. Then, you would have your fill replaced AFTER giving birth. So, that shouldn't be a problem.

I actually had my band put in September 2005... lost 50 pounds by April of the next year and then bang.. found out I was pregnant!!! Just had my baby 3 weeks ago... no complications with the pregnancy or the band during the entire pregnancy. I was filled at 2.1cc, but I did have an unfill in February 2006 because I got a nasty gastrointestinal bug that totally inflammed my stomach lining... it made eating and drinking impossible... but I had it refilled to 1.9cc in May (felt it was a little too loose cuz I was still hungry all the time, then I found out I was pregnant in May, so I figured that was why I was so hungry... I gained quite a bit during my pregnancy... 75 pounds... ugh... after all my work, but since the baby I have lost 45 pounds (in 3 weeks!!) I am sure that the rest of the weight will be slower but it was nice to know that I didn't have to re-lose all the weight I had already lost once.

I actually had my band put in September 2005... lost 50 pounds by April of the next year and then bang.. found out I was pregnant!!! Just had my baby 3 weeks ago... no complications with the pregnancy or the band during the entire pregnancy. I was filled at 2.1cc, but I did have an unfill in February 2006 because I got a nasty gastrointestinal bug that totally inflammed my stomach lining... it made eating and drinking impossible... but I had it refilled to 1.9cc in May (felt it was a little too loose cuz I was still hungry all the time, then I found out I was pregnant in May, so I figured that was why I was so hungry... I gained quite a bit during my pregnancy... 75 pounds... ugh... after all my work, but since the baby I have lost 45 pounds (in 3 weeks!!) I am sure that the rest of the weight will be slower but it was nice to know that I didn't have to re-lose all the weight I had already lost once.

Ahhhhhh...peace of mind!! Thank you so much for replying! I am very excited for the band but was nervous about getting pregnant later on. It's nice to hear about a personal experience because whatever I read about online can't compare to hearing someone actually go through it!!! And congrats on your new baby!!

Thanks,

Renee