sugar addict W/lap band?

Guest LindaC

I am researching the lap band, my main concern is that I am a hard core sugar addict I know the band will not take away my sugar addiction so will this work for me? This is the first time posting on this site and I am not very computer savy, my email is Cor.Lin@yahoo.com if anyone would like to respond to this question.

I guess it all depends how much effort you're willing to put into it. Discipline is a big part of making the band work especially where sugary items are concerned as many of the foods that get past the band are loaded with sugar (ice cream, chocolate, etc). What's your sugared item of choice and have you tried any of the sugar substitutes? I often make berry or peach pie with Splenda. It is a yummy treat and hasn't gotten in the way of my weight loss.

I guess it all depends how much effort you're willing to put into it. Discipline is a big part of making the band work especially where sugary items are concerned as many of the foods that get past the band are loaded with sugar (ice cream, chocolate, etc). What's your sugared item of choice and have you tried any of the sugar substitutes? I often make berry or peach pie with Splenda. It is a yummy treat and hasn't gotten in the way of my weight loss.

Well I think I am just in such a downward spirial it doesn't really matter as long as it is sweet

I feel like this is my last hope I have a small settlement comming in a month just enough to have the surgery and I plan to have the lap band, I have lost 100 pounds 3 times in my life now and gained it all back each time I dont think I have it in me to do it again on my own. I am very excited but also scared because I dont really know what to expect and It just seems like a miracle that this unexpected money about $9,000 is supposed to be comming my way other wise I could never even dream of this. What has been your expieriance?

With the help of the Splenda I've managed to cut most all sugary things out of my diet except for gatorade, but it has been tough at times. Everyone's experience with the band is different but for me I really do feel like a switch has been turned off in my head and food is no longer such a focus of my life. I think the question you really need to ask yourself is whether or not you are eating emotionally or because you really like it. I fell into the latter category and I think that's why I'm having such an easy time of it. The part where people get into trouble is if they fall into the former category. If food and sugar is a way for you to manage emotions or if you life is chaotic you're probably going to struggle under the band since the forces that are driving you to sugar would still be around post-op. Take a good look at what has motivated your choices in life and then you may have a better understanding of whether or not the band will work for you.