Fill in TJ verses where you live

Hi Everyone!

I am so excited about being banded in TJ on July 15th. My one concern is the fills. It would be a big expense to travel back each time but I am willing to do it if it's worth it. I've been told that Dr. Ortiz does fills better then any other doctor I could go to. Has anyone had an experience with fills at home & in TJ? Can you tell a difference? Is it worth the cost? ;)

Dianechef

I have the same dilema. Dr. Martinez is the doctor who does the fills and I have heard nothing but great comments about him doing this procedure. In addition, they tend to be more aggressive in Mexico with fills then they are in the states. I have my first fill scheduled for next Thursday by a somewhat local doctor because I live in Michigan and it was a 7 hour flight to San Diego + the travel time into TJ. Yet I still don't know if I should wait and go to Mexico!

Chris

Ok, here is an update. I had my first fill yesterday by a doctor in Bloomfield Hills. I had a real dilema deciding where I wanted to go for my first fill but figured I needed to see the local doctor first to make sure I had a local doctor. What should have been a 2 hour drive ended up being a 3 1/2 hr drive because of construction. I have been under a tremendous amount of stress lately and this delay just really set me. I was going to be late and KNEW they would not end up seeing me and I would have to reschedule. So I call the office, in tears, and they were ok with my still coming in. Got there all frazzled and just started signing papers - I didn't care. Gave them $2,000 for two years of aftercare, no matter what happens (except for hospital costs). After I did this, I was able to relax a little and look around the office. Hmm...not sure I like this set up. There is a small waiting room and a receptionist's desk. Right behind her desk is the scale and height board. In front of the waiting room! Know I don't like this. Go into the room for the fill and let's just say, the room needs some updating. Doc comes in and is still agitated I went to TJ for surgery, even though he told me he got proctored by Dr. Ortiz! Does an injection with numbing agent and then he does ultrasound to find the port. THEN, he can't get the needle with the saline into the port! I'm thinking oh, oh! He's pushing as hard as he can and it won't go in. Keeps taking the needle out and trying again. I'm like, what's going on? He says well the ultrasound doesn't show it but I think your port is tipped slightly. Finally, he puts in 1.5 ccs and says ok you can go. I say, wait a minute, I have questions. He says it's ok to eat immediately after a fill, most times the first fill doesn't take and I'll need another fill really soon, and I'll immediately not be able to eat anywhere near as much as before. Most of this contradicted information I'd read but he said don't believe everything I read. But then his nurses tell me do not eat food for the rest of the night! I'm disappointed. I didn't really notice much difference today other than I have to slow down when eating. But I could still eat a good sized tuna steak for dinner. I'm missing the wonderful care and attitude of Dr Ortiz and Dr Martinez and now feel like I've thrown $2,000 away, because of course, it's non refundable. It was a 7 hr flight one way to TJ for me but I think that's where I'll go for my second fill. Sorry for such a long post but I'm sad and still confused about my fills.

Chris

Aww Chris, Iam so sorry to hear about your ordeal, doesnt seem like he is a very caring Dr. I would be concerned too if I were you, I makes me wonder if he even hit your port. Did you see the needle in your port under the ultrasound? That makes a huge difference, for me anyways seeing it under the flouro, it is peace of mind Lets hope you notice a difference, it is very normal for a fill to take a few days to a week to kick in, give it some time, but if in 2 weeks you still feel no difference, call him back and go back in, you have paid for it, might as well use it. I also find it odd he would be upset you went to Tj when he was proctored by Ortiz, he does things differently then Ortiz does. Ortiz requires 3 days of liquids after a fill just in case there is swelling from the fill.

Hang in there and let me know if you go to TJ, I live not too far from TJ, maybe by then I will need another fill :)

Chris,

SOOOOOOOOO sorry to hear about your experience. This is exactly what I avoid by going back to Dr. Martinez for my fills. He does it all under flouro and that can check for slippage and erosion at the same time. Plus, I SWEAR he is the FILL KING!

Maybe go back to your doctor and tell him you are not happy from the get go and would like to have your money back (minus the first fill charge). Tell him you do not want to squabble but would like to leave peacefully and still maintain a bridge with him.

Then.... make a vacation out of going to TJ for the weekend! You can also find some "Ortiz buddies" on www.lapbandtalk.com and maybe you can travel and share a hotel room! It would be fun!!!

NO WAY do I expect to pay over $2000 for my fills and flight. I figure it is $300 each time I go. I have my first fill May 7th and don't think I will need one for a long time. His first fill was aggressive and PERFECT!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I love this board - everyone is so supportive and helpful!

I emailed him last night and told him about my concern with no restriction. One good thing he does respond right away. He told me to call the office and make an appt for next week. As it turns out I can't get in until 7/11 because of my schedule but I figure I will go back one more time and see if there is any difference. If not, Mexico, here I come. I will try to think of the $2,000 as an insurance policy for the next 2 years as it will cover any of his costs if something goes wrong.

I was shocked when he told me he was proctored by Dr. Ortiz - perhaps he needed to listen more while he was there :D

His procedure is to feel for the port with his hands, inject the numbing agent and then do the ultrasound to find the port. Then he marks the spot with a pen and stops using the ultrasound. Then he injects the saline. I felt a little gassy when I drank a cup of water so I'm assuming he finally got the saline in. He said something about getting the air out of the band and I should look at what he was doing. Can't stand to see needles though so I said no way :D

I feel better since I know I will be going back in a little over a week and knowing I have made up my mind that if it doesn't get better I will be going back to see the sweeties at OCC. Thank you much everyone for making me feel better.

Chris

I've used frequent flyer miles 2X now. For me it's worth it, even though I did pay $1,000 here for 1 year. Here, even though she's very good & has never missed once, it's a guessing game 'cause of no fluoro. I my opinion, the time & expense of going to Dr. M is worth it.

FYI........... (just a cost effective option for those that absolutely can't go back to TJ, but I highly recommend you do. I only give this because I want you to have some type of aftercare rather than going without aftercare because you can't fly back to TJ. I still think it is best to go back to Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez.)

(an email I got)

Hi Jenna,

Glad you wrote it's always good to hear from patients and get there feelings and feedback.

Anyway we are not open to the public yet. We will be opening in late September with 90-100 Centers through out the US. We're not sure where these locations will be yet (I do believe that we will have one in the Phoenix area). But keep checking back to our website www.fillcentersusa.com as it will be updated closer to time. We will be offering a web based database so that any of our providers that you go to after visiting our center will have access to your information. For example if your on vacation in Florida and have an emergency you can visit our nearest center and receive care and they will have all your records, history, allergies etc..! You will also be able to track your weight loss, exercise, food nutrient intake and many other things via our database and communicate this with your aftercare provider via a message center within the database. And we will be offering monthly payment plans ex. 1 year programs including fills and monthly consultations that has been proven successful for excess weight loss after lap band surgery in actual practices. And for those that just want a fill, those will be starting at just $100. Out of the country, like Mexico, patients are welcome.

Again thank you for your inquiry, if you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to email or give me a call!

Hope to help you in the near future,

JR Stratton

CFO/Business Manager

Fill Centers USA

866-345-5872 ext. 11

www.fillcentersusa.com

jr@fillcentersusa.com

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's the latest - I went back to the local doctor on 7/11 and had .3 cc fill. What a difference!! It's funny because I was ticked off he wouldn't add another 1 cc (he normally only does .25). The next two days restriction was very good. It has since settled down some and I'm eating normal bandster meals. In fact, I truly found out what SMALL bites mean - 2 days in a row I had chicken that I must have taken too big of bites or ate too fast and both came right back up. Yuck! Hard protein has been hurting so I finally started putting just a teeny tiny amount on the ends of the tines of the fork and that seems to work. Very slow eating. Here's hoping this restriction lasts a long time :D

Chris