Fill in TJ verses where you live

Hi Everyone!

I am so excited about being banded in TJ on July 15th. My one concern is the fills. It would be a big expense to travel back each time but I am willing to do it if it's worth it. I've been told that Dr. Ortiz does fills better then any other doctor I could go to. Has anyone had an experience with fills at home & in TJ? Can you tell a difference? Is it worth the cost? ;)

Dianechef

I have had all of my fills with Dr. Ortiz & Martinez, ( Martinez usually does all of the fills and he is the master at fills) I did have Dr. Ortiz give me a fill once. I can only say from my experience is that they use flouro and I like that, it gives me peace of mind seeing my band, my port and the barium flowing through the band. Also it has been said that U.S. docs are very conservative on fills only giving a little at a time to creep up on restriction so if it is cost you are looking for, it may be cheaper to go to Dr. Ortiz since you will get a nice fill and wont need one too often, I have had 3 fills in 14 months and am almost to goal weight. The doc here I would of used only gives .5cc's at a time, if I would of went to him, I would of only been at 1.5 cc's after 3 fills and it would of been more money out of pocket then going to TJ, with Dr. Ortiz after 3 fills I was at 2.5 cc's .I also like knowing the Dr. who did my surgery does all of my aftercare. Just my opinion.

Hi,

Although I had Dr. Ortiz do my surgery I am going to have my first fill performed by a more local doctor, primaryly because of the convenience. I'm not sure this is what I want to do on a permanent basis but for the first time I think I'll try Dr. Pleatman. Just in case anything serious happens in the future I would like to know someone is close by.

Good luck

Chris

Hi Diane,

I had my surgery on May 13th, I had my first fill on June 13, 2cc by Dr. Martinez he was great. I am still not getting the restriction I should be getting so I called Dr. Martinez he said it is normal to need a second fill sometimes soon after. I told him this time I was going to use a local Dr. he said make sure they only put in .5cc at a time. My plan is to see Dr. Martinez at least once a year for a follow up with the flouroscope. I found that some of the Los Angeles Dr's that will do my fill that was done by another Dr. charge $350.00 without a flouroscope (they don't seem to use a flouroscope) I hope this helps. TracyW