Frustration with fills/restriction

Went for my second fill yesterday, Feb 6th. My first fill was 4.5cc (I have the VG Band). Dr. Romero extracted 4.5cc (yippee, no saline loss!) He added another 1.5cc, for a total fill of 6cc, which I thought was quite aggressive, but I was happy to get a sizable fill.

I decided to hang around in San Diego for this fill, as OCC recommends, to make sure the fill level is adequate. Dr. Romero asked me to eat whatever I wanted, as much as I wanted, and if I had no restriction, I could return the next day for a little more of a fill.

Well, after my fill, I returned to my motel in San Diego, and tried to eat a piece of pizza. Tried is the key word in the sentence. I was restricted to a level which would not let any of the pizza go down. Almost all of it came back up. After 45 minutes, I drank a cold Iced Tea, which went down.

I decided to be a tourist for a few hours, and then upon return to my motel, stopped at KFC. I bought a Rice Famous Bowl (rice, corn, popcorn chicken, and cheese), and a snacker sandwich. Well, I chewed as we are all told, and every bit of the Famous Bowl went down easily. I then decided to tackle the sandwich, which also went down very easily. As a final test, I tried one more piece of pizza, which went through unrestricted as well. Arrggghhh! In all, I would guess dinner was about 1 quart of food. Normally I would not eat this much, but I felt it necessary to confirm my restriction level. I followed the rule of no liquids for 1 hour after eating.

This morning, when I woke up, I opened an Adkins shake, and was quite restricted again. Every drink struggled to go down. I also tried a piece of toast, which went down, with some difficulty.

Well, this morning, I returned to OCC as Dr. Romero directed I should if there was not restriction. Well, it is a day off for him, I discovered, after spending an hour and $17 to get to the clinic. Arrrggghhh! It appeared there were no surgeries or fills scheduled for the day, so everyone except the admin staff was taking the day off. My flight leaves tomorrow, Thursday, at noon. I was told Dr. Romero can take me in at 800am, which should be early enough to still make my flight.

Two major frustrations:

1. Why was I told to return for an additional fill if the doctor was not going to be in the office? Not a big deal, but inconvenient. I am glad he is going out of his way to fit me in tomorrow, and I know errors can happen.

2. Why do I go from severe restriction early in the day, to being able to eat whatever I want in the afternoon? I have heard of morning band tightness, but going from one extreme to the other in a few hours is puzzling.

Any input/support is appreciated. I know the VG band requires patience, but how do you find the 'sweet spot' when in the morning fluids are restricted, and in the evening, anything will go down.

Two major frustrations:

1. Why was I told to return for an additional fill if the doctor was not going to be in the office? Not a big deal, but inconvenient. I am glad he is going out of his way to fit me in tomorrow, and I know errors can happen.

2. Why do I go from severe restriction early in the day, to being able to eat whatever I want in the afternoon? I have heard of morning band tightness, but going from one extreme to the other in a few hours is puzzling.

Any input/support is appreciated. I know the VG band requires patience, but how do you find the 'sweet spot' when in the morning fluids are restricted, and in the evening, anything will go down.

Greg, I also have the VG with a total of 6.8cc of fill. On your first question you got me there. Dr. Romero may have just made a mistake and thought the next day he was on schedule. Couldn't tell ya. On the restriction flux... I have it to. There will be times I can drink a full glass of water straight down and others when I have to take it a small gulp at a time. No ryme or reason. All in all I just do what the band tells me at the time and try to take it in stride. I am pretty close to the sweet spot. If anything I'd kick it up one more notch maybe by .2cc or .4cc. Doubt this helps much other than to let you know your not the only VG'er with a flexable band action. So maybe someone can reply that has the lowdown on this so we all can benefit. Thanks for posting the question! Kevin

Greg, I also have the VG with a total of 6.8cc of fill. On your first question you got me there. Dr. Romero may have just made a mistake and thought the next day he was on schedule. Couldn't tell ya. On the restriction flux... I have it to. There will be times I can drink a full glass of water straight down and others when I have to take it a small gulp at a time. No ryme or reason. All in all I just do what the band tells me at the time and try to take it in stride. I am pretty close to the sweet spot. If anything I'd kick it up one more notch maybe by .2cc or .4cc. Doubt this helps much other than to let you know your not the only VG'er with a flexable band action. So maybe someone can reply that has the lowdown on this so we all can benefit. Thanks for posting the question! Kevin

It is good to know I am not alone! However, through extreme willpower, I know you have managed to maintain weight loss. Kudos to you and your determination! I, on the other hand, have mostly been waiting for the band to start it's work. While I have lost about 7.5lbs since surgery, I was looking forward to more aggressive results by now. But, at least I am still going the right direction.

Restriction is critical for me. I agree, bumping it up a bit is what I need. I guess I will see how aggressive Dr. Romero is willing to be. As long as I can get protein shakes down, I am not concerned about an over-fill.

The VG band is so tempermental!

It is good to know I am not alone! However, through extreme willpower, I know you have managed to maintain weight loss. Kudos to you and your determination! I, on the other hand, have mostly been waiting for the band to start it's work. While I have lost about 7.5lbs since surgery, I was looking forward to more aggressive results by now. But, at least I am still going the right direction.

Restriction is critical for me. I agree, bumping it up a bit is what I need. I guess I will see how aggressive Dr. Romero is willing to be. As long as I can get protein shakes down, I am not concerned about an over-fill.

The VG band is so tempermental!

Greg,

I have hit a plateau since about Christmas. My body may be paying me back for my so called willpower. Restriction is also very critical to me at this juncture as I need to get some momentum like you in the right direction "Down"!

Two factors that have slowed me down are my backing off drinking enough water and restriction has affected this but my habits have also. My stress level since the holidays has increased as I was doing the job interview circuit and have just started a new position. So I believe If I can bring down my stress by yes that word that has haunted me all my life "exercise" and get in some adequate H2O consumption I may have a chance to break this plateau.

If I may say be concerned about an overfill. If you are unable to get liquids down you could be in deep trouble including protein drinks or even water and that can happen. Slow and easy is the way to go with no visits to the emergency room. It will come for both of us. We live in such a should have happened to me yesterday society that it can be very discouraging to those of us with the VG who have to take it a day at a time. It will happen and when it does we will feel awesome and healthy. We are so lucky to have the band. I talk to many who don't and would love to have lost the weight you have since your surgery but they have put it on over the holidays and feel real bad about it.

Hey man we got the whale by the tail let's just hold on for the ride down to our new lives in 36 waist 501s!

Kevin

I just want to say that you 2 gentlemen look great!

Greg, did you mean 75? not 7.5 right.

I have the smaller band and as you read in my emergency I don't get this band thing sometime either.

I am very, very happy that I found someplace local. As happy as I am with the staff in TJ, I don't have to leave my family for 2 days and I really think that being on a plane, for me, right after my fill had some effect on me.

Keep shrinking Hotties!!!!

Michele

Greg,

I have hit a plateau since about Christmas. My body may be paying me back for my so called willpower. Restriction is also very critical to me at this juncture as I need to get some momentum like you in the right direction "Down"!

Two factors that have slowed me down are my backing off drinking enough water and restriction has affected this but my habits have also. My stress level since the holidays has increased as I was doing the job interview circuit and have just started a new position. So I believe If I can bring down my stress by yes that word that has haunted me all my life "exercise" and get in some adequate H2O consumption I may have a chance to break this plateau.

If I may say be concerned about an overfill. If you are unable to get liquids down you could be in deep trouble including protein drinks or even water and that can happen. Slow and easy is the way to go with no visits to the emergency room. It will come for both of us. We live in such a should have happened to me yesterday society that it can be very discouraging to those of us with the VG who have to take it a day at a time. It will happen and when it does we will feel awesome and healthy. We are so lucky to have the band. I talk to many who don't and would love to have lost the weight you have since your surgery but they have put it on over the holidays and feel real bad about it.

Hey man we got the whale by the tail let's just hold on for the ride down to our new lives in 36 waist 501s!

Kevin

Good to have a bantering with you Kevin. I know your job search slowed you down from forum activity, and I can imagine the stress involved. I just learned last week at my employer that our largest contract has chosen to terminate my company's services. That means I am expected to bring in an extra $100,000 per year in profits. Career change may be in my future as well, as an extra $100,000 in profits is a huge barrier.

Yes, I feel fortunate that I have not gained any weight through this process. I also expected from the beginning that I would not lose much weight until fill #2. I guess that is why I am frustrated. Fill number two is here, and I expect much more from myself and my band going forward.

I know an over-fill would be cause for concern. I will rely on Dr. Romero's expertise to ensure that I will not be over-restricted. I merely was expressing my desire for a level of restriction that will last a few months. I love San Diego, and visiting is a pleasure (especially escaping Nebraska's -2 degree temperatures), but I hope not to have to return every 4-8 weeks.

I know this process can be slow, and size 36 501's is a nice vision to aim for. Heck, I look forward to size 40's! For today, however, I discovered a place named Phil's BBQ that is highly recommended for SD. I think I will indulge, as tomorrow I doubt I will be able to get BBQ through my band.

Thank you for your advice and support.

I have the smaller band and as you read in my emergency I don't get this band thing sometime either.

I am very, very happy that I found someplace local. As happy as I am with the staff in TJ, I don't have to leave my family for 2 days and I really think that being on a plane, for me, right after my fill had some effect on me.

Michele

Michele,

I read your post and am so glad you are well. That sounds like a terrifying experience to go through and i'm so happy that it actually helped you find a fill source close to your home. So out of alot of bad came a little good at least.

Greg we may both need a "shrink" if that kind of talk starts - hehe.

Michele so happy you are feeling so much better! Kevin

Michele

No, Michele, I meant 7.5 lbs. It is an oddity of the VG Band (the large band), that it takes several fills before the band starts restricting. I actually consider 7.5 lbs after 11 weeks to be a small success. I have seen reports of some people gaining weight after VG band placement, before getting filled properly.

I did read your post about your ordeal, and I keep it in mind as I get my fills. I do thank you for posting your emergency experience. I truly believe it is important to be aware of the both the positives and negatives of having a Lap-Band. I admire your positive outlook after going through your ordeal.

My shrinking will continue, however slowly. I am down 23 lbs since deciding to have band surgery, and down 44 lbs from my highest weight. What is important to me is continuing in the right direction. I did not get fat in a few months, so I do not expect it to go away in a short time either.

Hoping the best for your continued success.

Good to have a bantering with you Kevin. I know your job search slowed you down from forum activity, and I can imagine the stress involved. I just learned last week at my employer that our largest contract has chosen to terminate my company's services. That means I am expected to bring in an extra $100,000 per year in profits. Career change may be in my future as well, as an extra $100,000 in profits is a huge barrier.

Yes, I feel fortunate that I have not gained any weight through this process. I also expected from the beginning that I would not lose much weight until fill #2. I guess that is why I am frustrated. Fill number two is here, and I expect much more from myself and my band going forward.

I know an over-fill would be cause for concern. I will rely on Dr. Romero's expertise to ensure that I will not be over-restricted. I merely was expressing my desire for a level of restriction that will last a few months. I love San Diego, and visiting is a pleasure (especially escaping Nebraska's -2 degree temperatures), but I hope not to have to return every 4-8 weeks.

I know this process can be slow, and size 36 501's is a nice vision to aim for. Heck, I look forward to size 40's! For today, however, I discovered a place named Phil's BBQ that is highly recommended for SD. I think I will indulge, as tomorrow I doubt I will be able to get BBQ through my band.

Thank you for your advice and support.

Greg,

It's nice to have some time today. Spam has dropped off this afternoon which gave me a little time to actually read the posts on the board.

First don't fall in the stress trap like me. That soiunds like a large piece of business getting thrown on your shoulders.

On the subject of fill #2. When I had mine I stayed in TJ overnite after the fill and did what you did and showed up the next day. I got lucky that it was not a day off for the staff. Dr. Martinez and Dr. Romero were both in and I spoke to them and told them exactly what I had eaten and how fast the night before. I was given an additional 1.1cc fill. That has made the difference in my restriction and I am so happy I went back in for I guess what you would call a fill #2 24 hr update. I stayed at the Lucerna Hotel and actually skipped the cab ride back and enjoyed a walk to the hotel. I felt pretty tight and still do from time to time but am real happy with the results to date.

ok, ok, 40 waist 501s yea thats more realistic your right. Enjoy Phils and let us know how things go!

Great talking with you Greg! Kevin

PS Greg will you ask Dr. Romero a question? It relates to your comments and my curiousity - When you lose 50 lbs. lets say and you have a VG does that decease restriction in itself because you are possibly losing fat that is between the band and your stomach lining? I could be way off but I understood that there was a fat layer for us VGers and it would make sense if you lose it you may have less restriction or did I get wrong info. If you remember would appreciate it first hand. Thanks and good luck!

Greg,

PS Greg will you ask Dr. Romero a question? It relates to your comments and my curiousity - When you lose 50 lbs. lets say and you have a VG does that decease restriction in itself because you are possibly losing fat that is between the band and your stomach lining? I could be way off but I understood that there was a fat layer for us VGers and it would make sense if you lose it you may have less restriction or did I get wrong info. If you remember would appreciate it first hand. Thanks and good luck!

Actually, this question was addressed during my first fill. Dr. Romero said that after a year or so, after 75-100 lbs lost, a fill is normally required to compensate for fat loss around the stomach.

I ask lots of questions during my visits. For example, Dr. Romero lives in National City, and both Dr. Ortiz and Mrs. Ortiz live in SD. My curiousity is never satiated.

Actually, this question was addressed during my first fill. Dr. Romero said that after a year or so, after 75-100 lbs lost, a fill is normally required to compensate for fat loss around the stomach.

I ask lots of questions during my visits. For example, Dr. Romero lives in National City, and both Dr. Ortiz and Mrs. Ortiz live in SD. My curiousity is never satiated.

Greg, Thank you for the info. Please keep asking and passing on.

I have a friend who lives right down the street from Dr. Ortiz in a very nice area of Chula Vista. Very close to the border in South San Diego. He has a short commute...ah.. other than that border thing.

Greg thanks again! Kevin

Just to follow up: I returned Thurs. morning to OCC for an additional fill as my fill Tuesday morning did not provide adequate restriction. Dr. Romero added 0.6cc, for a total fill of 6.6cc.

Wow! What a difference. Now everything is restricted, including water. My largest meal was a mini-pizza at the Milwaukee airport (waiting for my flight to Omaha). It took me about 40 minutes to eat the pizza, and I was quite full (or just tired of eating). By the way, does anyone else find the need to belch repeatedly while eating? Not a Homer Simpson belch, but more like multiple mini-burps, almost like hiccups.

So, my band is very tight, and I am having difficulty eating and drinking. However, I know with patience and careful eating, food will go down. I am happy with the result.

I asked Dr. Romero how long before I will need another fill. He stated 'about 6 weeks'. I was surprised, so asked again, and he confirmed. I guess I will have another trip to TJ soon. This VG band really takes time.

Also, Dr. Romero was training another physician named Dr. Acosta. I guess he will be the new doc around OCC, mostly working as a post-op care provider.

michele, hey there! i have the "smaller" band too, um...i think. lol my surgical report says 'band size: 10cms/4ccs'. at first i thought this meant my band only held 4 ccs but the local fill doc told me that there was no way it only held that little. so what does this mean actually? and how many ccs does that size band hold? i have 3ccs in my band now...i feel silly for not already knowing this answer but haven't stressed over it because i have good restriction and things seem to be going well. i am losing 1-2 pounds a week. just curious! :blink:

...and greg! *hugs* glad things are on the up and up. glad to hear about your progress! keep us informed. :) oh yeah, just read Mrs. Ortiz told you (or someone did) that she lives in SD... on the way to the hotel my cousin and i asked her where she resides and she said they both live in Mexico because the taxes are cheaper but have their vehicles registered in SD so they could commute back and forth easily. anyway... not that any of that matters... just thought i'd share. ha

michele, hey there! i have the "smaller" band too, um...i think. lol my surgical report says 'band size: 10cms/4ccs'. at first i thought this meant my band only held 4 ccs but the local fill doc told me that there was no way it only held that little. so what does this mean actually? and how many ccs does that size band hold? i have 3ccs in my band now...i feel silly for not already knowing this answer but haven't stressed over it because i have good restriction and things seem to be going well. i am losing 1-2 pounds a week. just curious! :blink:

...and greg! *hugs* glad things are on the up and up. glad to hear about your progress! keep us informed. :) oh yeah, just read Mrs. Ortiz told you (or someone did) that she lives in SD... on the way to the hotel my cousin and i asked her where she resides and she said they both live in Mexico because the taxes are cheaper but have their vehicles registered in SD so they could commute back and forth easily. anyway... not that any of that matters... just thought i'd share. ha

Kristi!

Glad to see you are continuing to lose! =D> You must be looking hot!

As to your band size, I had read somewhere that some people have had slightly more than 4cc in the smaller bands. It is a decision the fill docs make. I remember also seeing where the 10cc VG could also hold 11cc. Hopefully none of us will need to find out.

Take care.

Just to follow up: I returned Thurs. morning to OCC for an additional fill as my fill Tuesday morning did not provide adequate restriction. Dr. Romero added 0.6cc, for a total fill of 6.6cc.

Wow! What a difference. Now everything is restricted, including water. My largest meal was a mini-pizza at the Milwaukee airport (waiting for my flight to Omaha). It took me about 40 minutes to eat the pizza, and I was quite full (or just tired of eating). By the way, does anyone else find the need to belch repeatedly while eating? Not a Homer Simpson belch, but more like multiple mini-burps, almost like hiccups.

So, my band is very tight, and I am having difficulty eating and drinking. However, I know with patience and careful eating, food will go down. I am happy with the result.

I asked Dr. Romero how long before I will need another fill. He stated 'about 6 weeks'. I was surprised, so asked again, and he confirmed. I guess I will have another trip to TJ soon. This VG band really takes time.

Also, Dr. Romero was training another physician named Dr. Acosta. I guess he will be the new doc around OCC, mostly working as a post-op care provider.

Hey Greg!

Just wanted to pipe in to this whole frustration with fills/ restriction topic. Your situation with weight loss, fills is similar to mine. I Am so glad to hear you are restricted!!. I havent experienced your experience with not being able to drink though, ever. I experienced those mini-burps, almost like hiccups following fills. It goes away after a few days for me. I have the smaller band and reaching the sweet spot with either band size is key, but have read the larger band can take longer.

Since my last fill 2 weeks ago, I have lost 5 pounds. Sometimes for me, its hard to do the protien first, then vegetables because my family is use to me cooking hearty meals like lazanya, chilli, spagetti, buritos, pizza, etc. Prior to surgery, and having to deal with being on many different diets, I learned to modify everything for myself and Kyle....and then I have a daugher. (This would not work for my hubby, he loves hearty foods, and I wouldnt be able to get away with feeding him the way I was eating.) Meaning, cutting out the butter, fat, using low-in-fat foods to cook with. That being said, after surgery, it has been wonderful not having to cook the same meal 3 different ways. It was a pain in the you know what, looking back on it and cooking this way most of our lives and not losing, but took a lot of effort. So, it has been a form of freedom for me to eat and enjoy the same food as the rest of my family since the surgery.

In being honest, the food choice's I have made and am eating, are not diet foods. That freedom alone is wonderful. I feel I could help my weight loss along if I made better choices. But..............when I thought about getting the band, I also thought, wow, how great it would be to eat what you like, but bites of it??????? And so, that put me into thinking I was in heaven so to speak. Being restricted is a wonderful thing, and I could make better food choices. I also feel healthy thin people eat normal hearty meals but a lot smaller portions and stay under the daily caloric intake, and keep weight off.

I love good food so much, I use to plan what I was going to have for the next meal while still eating a meal. Thank God, that obsession has not been quite important anymore. If I have to think about having to continue to diet all the time, well its so boring, blah, blah. and more blah. I will if I have to, but I'm just not ready to do that (just yet), but eating "normal" like I am, and not gaining is way to much fun.

As long as I FEEL FULL after eating very little, I'm happy for now. Becoming a healthier eater most of the time will be the goal and of course weight loss. Since trying to stay on a diet was hopeless, I have to think of healthy eating as something I can incorporate into my life everyday. I'm just not there yet. :-? <_<

Good Luck to you!!

Teri

Hey guys,

Keep hanging in there. I agree that finding and maintaining a good fill level is going to be a big factor with these VG bands.

I got my last fill in TJ 4 weeks ago. For the next two weeks I had a hard time with even liquids. I thought I was probably too tight, but as long as I could get liquids down I figured I would be OK. It finally gave in a little, and now I can sip liquids until around noon and then tolerate a small snack, and usually a pretty satisfying meal about around 6, and another snack later. I think this is working alot better for me now, but its taken a good while to get here. I think you guys are getting to the level needed quicker by going back to TJ for fills.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but until now it's been a lot determined dieting for me to get any results. The band does help, but for me, I've really had to watch my intake. I've had no fast food, pasta, or breads for 6 months now and it hasn't been easy sometimes.

I also know that once I can get the weight off, the way I am eating now will help me be so much healthier in the future. Having the band has definitely made me more determined to lose, but I know that the long term maintaining will be the real benefit for me.

And I'm now in 38 pants.

I know you all can do it. Keep the faith.

Roger

Whazzzup to my BOY BANDSTERS...

Greg and Kev... Thanks for the info and what to expect wiht my brand new VG band. Following your banter I guess I get to look forward to several fill trips. I am planning on going to TJ for my 1st fill, but after that prolly something more local.

Do they do the 1st fill under flouro there in TJ? I'd love to see my band on the xray.

looking forward to the 1st fill...

Randy

Hey guys,

Keep hanging in there. I agree that finding and maintaining a good fill level is going to be a big factor with these VG bands.

I got my last fill in TJ 4 weeks ago. For the next two weeks I had a hard time with even liquids. I thought I was probably too tight, but as long as I could get liquids down I figured I would be OK. It finally gave in a little, and now I can sip liquids until around noon and then tolerate a small snack, and usually a pretty satisfying meal about around 6, and another snack later. I think this is working alot better for me now, but its taken a good while to get here. I think you guys are getting to the level needed quicker by going back to TJ for fills.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but until now it's been a lot determined dieting for me to get any results. The band does help, but for me, I've really had to watch my intake. I've had no fast food, pasta, or breads for 6 months now and it hasn't been easy sometimes.

I also know that once I can get the weight off, the way I am eating now will help me be so much healthier in the future. Having the band has definitely made me more determined to lose, but I know that the long term maintaining will be the real benefit for me.

And I'm now in 38 pants.

I know you all can do it. Keep the faith.

Roger

Way to go Roger!!

Your doing great! It's great to read everyones post's because in reading, I think everyone that has been banded looks at the band and how each person works with it so differently then others. Personally, I was so tired of diets for Kyle and I, getting geared up at different times, staying with it for a while, then, (the cycle of gearing up to diet began over and over and over), that I havent ate real healthy. Not that I don't want to, but I'm still "weak" on the healthy choices.

Looking forward to it though soon! Keep up the great healthy choices!

Teri =D>