aloe vera gel for stoma soreness?

Hi everyone,

I read about an interesting remedy for stomal irritation on another site and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or comments on it. It was stated that aloe vera gel would help an irritated inflamed stoma and/or pouch after PB'ing or a fill. On that advice I went out an bought a bottle at the health food store. I haven't tried it yet since I'm waiting for my first fill but has anyone ever heard of this?

Susan :-?

I just found this:

When used internally, it has antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory and potent stimulative laxative properties. Aloe vera is believed to act as a restorative to the liver, as well as a blood purifier. It is also believed to shrink certain cancerous tumours. Other studies, indicate that aloe may lower blood sugar levels, combat yeast infections and treat peptic ulcers. Aloe contains calcium, sodium, potassium, manganese, magnesium, iron, lecithin and zinc.

Remember....."laxative"

#-o

I just found this:

When used internally, it has antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory and potent stimulative laxative properties. Aloe vera is believed to act as a restorative to the liver, as well as a blood purifier. It is also believed to shrink certain cancerous tumours. Other studies, indicate that aloe may lower blood sugar levels, combat yeast infections and treat peptic ulcers. Aloe contains calcium, sodium, potassium, manganese, magnesium, iron, lecithin and zinc.

Remember....."laxative"

oh great! the trots! well, if it calms things down up above I guess I could live with a little "looseness". Thanks for checking it out cleo666.

Many years ago, I had a doctor that was into natural healing and she suggested that I drink Aloe Vera for my ulcer and acid reflux problems. Well, I did that for a couple months and didn't have any more problems, at least not for several years. I mixed it with some juice and just drank a glass a day, about 1/2 cup of aloe vera total. I didn't really notice what my Dad would have called the "green apple quick step", but then I usually had the opposite problem, so it may have helped. Like Michelle said, it's great for lots of things. I grow a few of the plants to have on hand for burns, etc., and have juiced it straight from the plants and added it to my smoothies on occasion, but you can buy it in liquid forms at the health food store and it's pretty mild. I'm a really picky eater, and I didn't mind it at all.

Kim

I have a gallon jug in my fridge. Just mix with juice. It does not taste bad.

My boss swears by it as a remedy for h'roids. He recommends 1000mg of MSM (sulfa) twice daily, and 1/2 cup aloe juice daily for 10 days to 'cure' h'roids or other IBS type problems. The MSM is kind of an OTC substitute for sulfa based antibiotics. Before penicillin, sulfa was the primary antibiotic. In fact, during WWI they would pour powdered sulfa directly on wounds to prevent infection.

So, along with aloe, the MSM could also help irritated stoma.