Why do so many go to TJ for the Lapband?

I just wondered about the whole TJ thing. So many people on here seem to be using the same Dr and traveling to TJ. :-h

I just wondered about the whole TJ thing. So many people on here seem to be using the same Dr and traveling to TJ. :-h

Well, if insurance doesn't cover the procedure in the U.S. it is definately cheaper to have it done in TJ -by at least 20,000 dollars. Secondly Dr. Ortiz has been performing the procedure and is more skilled than most American doctors, so much so that he has trained some to do it. As far as being in this forum, this is the forum associated with Dr Ortiz's clinic -hence why mostly his patients on here.

Well, if insurance doesn't cover the procedure in the U.S. it is definately cheaper to have it done in TJ -by at least 20,000 dollars. Secondly Dr. Ortiz has been performing the procedure and is more skilled than most American doctors, so much so that he has trained some to do it. As far as being in this forum, this is the forum associated with Dr Ortiz's clinic -hence why mostly his patients on here.

IM sorry I just found this site by doing a search I had no idea it was for a certain Dr. ...Didnt mean to intrude upon anything. My lapband was 16,500.00 in the US and that includes all follow up visit , phsyc. if needed, a support group at the hospital once a month and she gives you points for everything you do within the hospital If you get up and speak, you sttend the food or discussions or got to group meetings. And then lets you use those points toward fills. Which is only 150.00 I didnt think that was bad. Did I pay A lot? Is the flying to TJ ok? How expensive is the flight and fill and hotel stay ( I saw there is a hotel that caters to the Hospitals Lapband Folks?

If I am intruding please let me know IM a more then curious person sometimes..lol...Its just me. Stacie

Well, the airfare part is your responsibility and the cost depends on where you are flying from. In my case, I flew from Oklahoma City and my airfare was $200.00 (Southwest). They pick you up from the airport and take you across the border with no problems. 3 nights in the Lucerna Hotel are included in the $8,500 for the procedure. This price also includes all pre op testing (blood work, nutritionist, cardiologist) and it also includes fills. You can pay $100 for fluro when you get your fill. Most people make it a one day trip when getting their fill. It is probably cheaper for people who live close to San Deigo to get the fills in TJ but it depends on airfare for someone like me. I do want to return to Dr. Ortiz for my first fill because I love his staff and they are so skilled in this procedure. However, I may find somewhere closer to where I live for more fills as needed. But then again, I might just make it a mini vacation for my fills in TJ.

I couldn't afford to pay $16,000 or $20,000 for my surgery in the States and I also feel like I had the best doctor for this procedure. He even wrote a book called "Lapband For Life". Check it out sometime. There is a lot of good info in the book. Dr. Ortiz's website is www.obesitycontrolclinic.com if you know someone interested in getting the procedure done for this price. It was a great experience for me!!!

I was originally going to TJ for the price, but now that I've been reading this forum and another lap band forum, unless my insurance was going to cover a VAST majority of it, I'd be going to Dr. Ortiz any way. On "another forum" there's complaints about US doctors and I've yet to see any complaints about Dr. Ortiz, his staff or his center. The interaction I've had has been AWESOME.

March 5!!!!!!! :)

I was originally going to TJ for the price, but now that I've been reading this forum and another lap band forum, unless my insurance was going to cover a VAST majority of it, I'd be going to Dr. Ortiz any way. On "another forum" there's complaints about US doctors and I've yet to see any complaints about Dr. Ortiz, his staff or his center. The interaction I've had has been AWESOME.

March 5!!!!!!! :)

no complaints here! the doc and his staff are AWESOME! =D>

i'll be honest, i have never been to mexico and was scared to go. i am a nurse by profession, and did loads of research...my insurance wouldn't cover the procedure and the doc here in texas offered to do it "discounted" at $14,500. Dr. Ortiz charged $8,500. and it felt like a steal! the facility was so much cleaner than any hospital i have ever worked in. they made me put on surgical shoe covers just to walk to the area to give blood for labs! dr. ortiz actually takes phone calls on his personal cell phone if you need to talk to him. after surgery i had a drop in blood pressure that made me almost pass out. well, in addition to starting an iv and doing everything medically necessary, the most precious Mexican nurse stood before me and physically fanned me (with a folder i had on my bed) for a full 10 minutes. talk about "extras"! try getting treatment like that in the States. needless to say, i have 2 nurse friends making plans to do the trip...

The reason I went to TJ was that none of the Doctors in my area would do the surgery due to my BMI being 36. It either had to be over 40 or between 35 and 40 with co-morbidities (high bp, diabetes, etc.) I actually had a doctor tell me that the only way I could get the surgery was to either gain weight or go out of the country. It wasn't an insurance thing either. Most doctors say that operating on a patient that has a BMI lower than 35 is not worth the risk of them going under anesthesia. I offered to pay cash for the surgery and still couldn't get anywhere with them.

Also, from the time I decided to have my surgery to the day I actually had it done was 2 weeks. It was going to be AT LEAST 6 months to get it locally, assuming they would do it.

my bmi was 36 too. i was told that even as a "cash payer" (since my insurance didn't cover) that i probably wouldn't qualify for the band in the states with a lower-end bmi of 36. since having my surgery in mid november, my bmi has already dropped to 32--thanks to dr. ortiz and his team. :D exciting!

I can tell you why I'm coming to TJ for this surgery {April 9th!!}

I have known a woman for 20 years who admitted she'd had it. She looks GREAT!!

I know she & I have the same insurance HMO, and I KNOW they didnt pay for it so I

asked her -- she told me 2 things: She said that she had gone "out of the Country" to have her surgery, that her Doctor had trained most of the US doctors in the procedure. It took me less than

5 minutes to find this site. Reading the posts and typing with Lori, who moderates the board and who is the nicest, most patient, compassionate woman ever, made my decision for me. I was approved for a loan and I made my appointment. I only wish that I had had it done 5 years ago!

I live almost as far away as I can, and I will travel to TJ for the surgery and then for my first fill.

After that, there's a Fill Center 150 miles away. I have been yo-yo dieting for 30+ years and I'm

sick of it. I think its endangering my health, and while I admit that this is a drastic step, its one I've come to terms with and I couldn't be more sure and confident of my choice in Dr O.

I hope this helps -- until I finally made up my mind I was batty.

funny (well, kind of) story...

about a month before my surgery date, i found out that my cousin had had lapband a couple of months prior. she hadn't told anyone, but did it, here in Arizona. She told me when I told her about my surgery. She told me her doctor's name, her insurance paid for most of it and my family gave me SUCH a hard time about going to Mexico.

Fast forward to the hour before my surgery - I was talking with Dr. Ortiz and told him that my cousin had had the surgery in the states. He asked if I remembered the doctor's name. When I told him, he admitted that he had TRAINED that doctor. Why would I have paid more for a less experienced doctor? My whole experience with the OCC has been fabulous. First fill tomorrow! Whoo hoo!

And, no, Stacie, you are not intruding! We love the company. Tell us all about your experience here in the states! Plus, for having surgery in the states, I think what you paid is VERY reasonable. I was quoted 24k and 32k.

funny (well, kind of) story...

about a month before my surgery date, i found out that my cousin had had lapband a couple of months prior. she hadn't told anyone, but did it, here in Arizona. She told me when I told her about my surgery. She told me her doctor's name, her insurance paid for most of it and my family gave me SUCH a hard time about going to Mexico.

Fast forward to the hour before my surgery - I was talking with Dr. Ortiz and told him that my cousin had had the surgery in the states. He asked if I remembered the doctor's name. When I told him, he admitted that he had TRAINED that doctor. Why would I have paid more for a less experienced doctor? My whole experience with the OCC has been fabulous. First fill tomorrow! Whoo hoo!

And, no, Stacie, you are not intruding! We love the company. Tell us all about your experience here in the states! Plus, for having surgery in the states, I think what you paid is VERY reasonable. I was quoted 24k and 32k.

And that was the extra 2000.00 for a BMI over 50. She is 14,500.00 for someone less. She is a Perfectionist at her work. The hospital was so gourgeous I was sad I didnt have to stay. Lap Band is an Out P. Gastic Y stay 1 or 2 days.

They where so nice and caring. By the time I had my surgery they all knew my name and greeted me upon entering ther huge glass doors into the luxury entrance which looks like a 5 star hotel. LOL...They are so supportive and and the support groups are amazing. The open floor meetings are great we trade clothing chat up our new nad old problems an being happy. The Dr is always there for the nutrition and to explain the surgery in detail to the new people interested. Your follow up visits are with the DR not just a nurse saying OH your fine. Wanda K is straight forward NO BULL. She tells it like it is and the way it will be and what she is doing is giving you a tool you have to make it work. I had 5 insitions my surgery was Feb 5 2 of them you can not even see anymore and the large one Id perfect it will be gone soon. She and the other Dr are amazing and her staff is full of the sweetest people I have ran across in this journey to find the best place. Now Kentucky has several Dr. who do this also AND a couple of strickly Bariatric center. I have been told they are great. I have a friend who did gastric bypass 2 yrs ago and she paid 22,000.00....AND SHE ADORES HER DR TOO> She is a pharmacy tech (in one of the Hospitals here) she sees the problem surgery folks fighting infection from bad surguries. LOL>.SHE knows who to go to and who not. If anyone is interested in staying US she is the best I found and I searched for over a year. :unsure:

Anyway, Dr Ortiz sounds awesome too....I wonder if he trained Dr K..lol....never know

no complaints here! the doc and his staff are AWESOME! =D>

i'll be honest, i have never been to mexico and was scared to go. i am a nurse by profession, and did loads of research...my insurance wouldn't cover the procedure and the doc here in texas offered to do it "discounted" at $14,500. Dr. Ortiz charged $8,500. and it felt like a steal! the facility was so much cleaner than any hospital i have ever worked in. they made me put on surgical shoe covers just to walk to the area to give blood for labs! dr. ortiz actually takes phone calls on his personal cell phone if you need to talk to him. after surgery i had a drop in blood pressure that made me almost pass out. well, in addition to starting an iv and doing everything medically necessary, the most precious Mexican nurse stood before me and physically fanned me (with a folder i had on my bed) for a full 10 minutes. talk about "extras"! try getting treatment like that in the States. needless to say, i have 2 nurse friends making plans to do the trip...

I SENT A PERSON YOUR WAY FROM A GROUP BECAUSE HER INSURANCE WONT PAY AND SHE NEEDED TO KNOW ABOUT THE SURGERY IN MEXICO...HEHE