big scare but all is well in the end - thanks Dr. Ortiz!

I have been fortunate and have not had many problems with my band however last Monday I thought for sure I was going to lose it. On my way back from Phoenix I had a layover in the Minneapolis airport and I was absolutly starving. I couldn't find much that I could eat so I decided on taco bell, nachos supreme without the nachos (sounds dumb but they'll omit the chips if asked). I was pretty excited as it was the first bit of food I'd had all day and at this time it was 4pm. I took two bites, probably much to big and to fast and instantly stuck. I did pb and felt ill, threw the remaining food away and shortly after boarded the plane. While on the plane the stuck feeling did not subside and I started vomitting and I have never truely vommitted with a pb. I was absolutly miserable, I was up and down to the tiny airplane restroom until the flight attendants told me I had to stay seated.

I got back home and Instead of getting better the pain got worse but I thought it would be better by morning. Wrong, next day it was even worse. I started to panic and attempted to contact my local band Dr but he was unavailable, the midwest was shutdown with snow and no one was open except the ER. I remembered that in my filing cabinet I had all the paperwork from OCC and dug it out to call Dr. Ortiz. It was about 12am my time and I felt bad calling but I didn't know what else to do and I had felt I already put it off long enough. Dr. Ortiz answered the phone on the second ring, I introduced myself and explained what was happening. he told me I needed to get an unfill right away and an x-ray to rule out a slip. Sadly I already knew I needed this but we were in the midst of a blizzard and my car was burried under snow, roads are closed and I felt lost. He told me to stick with clear liquids until I could get to my Dr. I can't say that speaking to him made me feel better about the situation but it was fantastic that I got a real person on the phone and not an answering service. He showed genuine concern and actually sounded like he cared. This cannot be found in any Dr around here.

Two days I stayed on clears and then finally last thursday the roads were good enough and I made it to my dr. By this time the pain was gone and I started to take in mushies without any issue. The x-ray revealed no slip, everything is in place and his best explanation is I strained the stoma and it swelled up giving the illusion of an overly tight band or slip. Today better than a week later I feel fantastic, back to eating normal. I'm just so thankful Dr. Ortiz listened to me freak out and calmly offered suggestions. It was the first time I have ever called and it is comforting to know he is there when needed!

I have been fortunate and have not had many problems with my band however last Monday I thought for sure I was going to lose it. On my way back from Phoenix I had a layover in the Minneapolis airport and I was absolutly starving. I couldn't find much that I could eat so I decided on taco bell, nachos supreme without the nachos (sounds dumb but they'll omit the chips if asked). I was pretty excited as it was the first bit of food I'd had all day and at this time it was 4pm. I took two bites, probably much to big and to fast and instantly stuck. I did pb and felt ill, threw the remaining food away and shortly after boarded the plane. While on the plane the stuck feeling did not subside and I started vomitting and I have never truely vommitted with a pb. I was absolutly miserable, I was up and down to the tiny airplane restroom until the flight attendants told me I had to stay seated.

I got back home and Instead of getting better the pain got worse but I thought it would be better by morning. Wrong, next day it was even worse. I started to panic and attempted to contact my local band Dr but he was unavailable, the midwest was shutdown with snow and no one was open except the ER. I remembered that in my filing cabinet I had all the paperwork from OCC and dug it out to call Dr. Ortiz. It was about 12am my time and I felt bad calling but I didn't know what else to do and I had felt I already put it off long enough. Dr. Ortiz answered the phone on the second ring, I introduced myself and explained what was happening. he told me I needed to get an unfill right away and an x-ray to rule out a slip. Sadly I already knew I needed this but we were in the midst of a blizzard and my car was burried under snow, roads are closed and I felt lost. He told me to stick with clear liquids until I could get to my Dr. I can't say that speaking to him made me feel better about the situation but it was fantastic that I got a real person on the phone and not an answering service. He showed genuine concern and actually sounded like he cared. This cannot be found in any Dr around here.

Two days I stayed on clears and then finally last thursday the roads were good enough and I made it to my dr. By this time the pain was gone and I started to take in mushies without any issue. The x-ray revealed no slip, everything is in place and his best explanation is I strained the stoma and it swelled up giving the illusion of an overly tight band or slip. Today better than a week later I feel fantastic, back to eating normal. I'm just so thankful Dr. Ortiz listened to me freak out and calmly offered suggestions. It was the first time I have ever called and it is comforting to know he is there when needed!

Oh my gosh, MIM,

Your experience sounds terrifying, and when you are in a situation like that, thank God, you were able to have some reasurance from Dr. Ortiz on knowing what to do, even if you couldn't do it right then. I haven't had to call him, but it is good to know, when you have to he is there for you. Having to be on a plane while needing to relieve the pressure would be awful. Hugs for you during that time. You are doing fabulous with your weight loss. Do you diet????? And if so, what diet do you follow? I noticed you ordered your nachos without the nachos. Is that because you cannot handle eating them, or do you have that much willpower to say "hold" the nachos.? Keep up the fabulous weight loss.

Teri =D>

Becki: I did have an small unfill, I don't EVER want to go through that again! I was more afraid of what would happen to my band then the pain - we've become buddies;)

Teri: after my 3rd fill I could no longer eat tortilla chips and everytime I have I regret it. I love them and I miss them but it was just not worth the risk. The band is my willpower, if it says no I have to go along with it.

I do 'diet' but it is not a specific one. I try to remain low carb/fat in most that I eat, I drink a ton of water and I exercise a lot. I do allow myself to have chocolate or whatever I am craving or I would lose my mind!