clarify fill procedure

I am a little confused about fills. Can you have your fill, then go out and eat later in the day, then come back and have your fill adjusted? It seems that's what I saw a couple people doing when I was waiting in the waiting room for my testing before surgery.

I then was told that after your fill you must do liquids for 3 days. Which is correct?

My surgery was June 21 and Dr. Ortiz insisted that I come back to TJ for my first fill, saying it was vital it be done correctly. So I will be trekking back from Ohio, and would like to make sure I am happy with my adjustment, so like the idea of eating after the fill.

Anybody know if the procedure differs from patient to patient?

SherylM

Dr. Martinez will do your fill in TJ. He asks that you are on liquids for 2-3 days. Trust me, your not really gonna feel like running out and having a big meal like before the fill. Being filled is a WHOLE different ball game!

Good luck!

It all depends on how much fill he gave you and if you are flying home, when I had my 2nd fill I was with a friend who flew in from PA and we drove down together,she was staying with me.. after our fills. Dr. Ortiz who did our fills that day asked us to go and eat, he wanted to make sure we were not too tight before we headed home, it was more so for my friend who was flying home the next morning, he wanted to make sure he was not sending her home too tight. After we ate we both were fine and told him so he then told us liquids for 3 days. So to answer your question it does differ from patient to patient, I have had 4 fills and only once did he have us go eat and that was because I was with someone who was flying the next day back home, I livew clsoe enough that if I were too tight I could just go back down to have it adjusted.

I reallyyyyyyy think it depends on the person. Had I tried to eat solid foods that first day I was filled I would have thought I was too tight. I had some swelling from the fill I think. I would have regretted eating right away because the fill was perfect 3 days later after liquids and creamies. Had I eaten, I would have probably had an unfill and would not be happy now because I would need a fill!

The reason I say it is a "whole 'nother ballgame" is because before my fill I could eat like a cow and I struggled post op for about 2 weeks on solids to not gain back what I lost during the post op diet phase. But I did it and it was tough. I didn't really even have to chew and I had to concentrate on remembering I even HAD the band in there. I thought "man, is there a band in there"? ha ha.... well AFTER the fill. I felt it. A couple of bites and I am done. I had never felt a PB until AFTER the fill. An average meal for me now is 3-4 small bites of chicken, 5-6 cut green beans, 3-4 small chunks of cantelope. And I am FULL! Way full sometimes. I am most restricted in the morning. Only juice for me or I will PB on the first bite. I have to wait until about 3 hours of being awake before I can even THINK about biting into something.

But wanna know the funny thing? I am not hungry and have to try and remember to eat. It is sooooooooo wierd still.

Didn't mean to scare you. But... for me... having a fill was a "whole 'nother ballgame". :)

Having just been there yesterday, I can clarify, because the waiting room was full!

For those of us flying home that day, he has you stay in the office for a while & make sure you can drink plenty of water. You then stay on liquids for 3 days.We had slimfast w/us so that was even better.

For the people who were staying in town for a few days, he does have you eat the next day & come back & get checked.

"An average meal for me now is 3-4 small bites of chicken, 5-6 cut green beans, 3-4 small chunks of cantelope. And I am FULL! Way full sometimes. I am most restricted in the morning. Only juice for me or I will PB on the first bite. I have to wait until about 3 hours of being awake before I can even THINK about biting into something.

But wanna know the funny thing? I am not hungry and have to try and remember to eat. It is sooooooooo wierd still."

PLEASE, PLEASE oh fill Gods, let this happen to me!!! :D

Chris

Hello fellow Dr. Ortiz Bandsters!

I am scheduled with Dr. Ortiz for band surgery on October 4. My husband is traveling with me for the surgery. I will be traveling solo to TJ for the fills. These posts on the fill process have been most helpful.

I think I am most worried about traveling to TJ from the San Diego airport by myself the first time. but.....after my trip for banding......I bet many of my concerns will be alleviated once I get the lay of the land, so to speak. (I am from Illinois....land of corn and bean fields!).

Again.....many thanks! Take care! Kim H.

Congratulations Kim on your surgery date! I too am a little nervous about traveling to TJ by myself for fills - don't know why as I was by myself for the surgery. I guess its the idea of crossing the border both ways alone that's bothering me - we'll see. Anyway, good luck to you and keep us posted.

Chris