Is the need for plastic surgery common after WLS?

Dianechef

I am interested in knowing how many people have had plastic surgery after having WLS? I have heard that the younger you are, the less chance you have of needing plastic surgery. Is that true? If so, I am hoping that I am still young enough (34) & still have the elasticity in my skin to not have it hang once I lose the weight.

Has anyone successfully lost weight & not had hanging skin? If so, what was the secret? Did you exercise? Please share your experiance?

If you did have surgery, where did you have it & what was the cost?

Dianechef

Surgery date: July 15th (10 days & counting!)

Diane,

I have 35 lbs to go. But.... I only had 70 to lose in the first place. I am a low BMI patient. I am 32 and have really good elasticity. I don't think I will need it. Maybe, just maybe in the arms is all.

However, I have noticed my boobies losing. :( Well, what is up must come down I guess. I am not sure if this is more due to the weight loss or just plain getting older and gravity taking its course.

I think the heavier you are, the more likely you are to maybe have some type of PS. But..... Shell was quite heavy and she looks GREAT! So who knows... its all individual I think.

Many people return to MX for their PS. For me, I am getting my boobies done next summer and I am staying in the states. A friend of mine is getting a TT right now (july 4) in Mexico and paying A LOT less than the states.

Plastic surgery is something I have not given much thought too..I had ththe lap band surgery more to be healthy and add years to my life then anything else

I was told by my PCP that

You will be more prone to have hanging skin if :

1. You are over 40 yrs old

2. Have carried 100 lbs or more for a long period of time ( 5yrs or longer)

3. Genetics.

I am fortunate to have none of the above.

The only area I have been noticing on me that is hanging is my arms, but my tummy and legs are fine.

I just started getting hanging skin after about the 100 pound loss (excep the arms- those are horrid) My breasts are now gone if I am not wearing a bra. I also am starting to get the "hanging thigh- they are batwings on arms what are they on thighs"

So will I need plastics- it depends on my mood and my day of thinking. I really think I am going to get my arms done- but I can wear a size 10 top (but the arms make it hard if it is cut close. I think I will plan on waiting till at least next march before I finally make my mind up on the rest.

I however am under 40- but I have been over 100 pounds over weight for more that 15 years and have kiddos, and breast fed for long time. But up intill about a few pounds ago there wasn't much.

I also seem to have suddenly developed old wrinkly skin- I am upping my water to see if it improves.

• 1 month later...

I reently read an article that said a complete nd total body lift was $50,000 here in the US. Knowing how much effort, cost, and post op care goes into the procedure, I don't think that's to bad. Arms are much less and shouldn't be more han $3-4g. Lots of doctors are hesitant about doing them because it leves a vsible scar...So what, beats bat wings. There is a Doctor Simmons in San Diego who does the best thigh lifts I've ever seen. I think I'll have a consultation with him about arms when I'm ready...which will be immediately after I loose the weight...I'm being banded at the end of September and can hardly wait.