Smokers

Hello are there any smokers out there? It says to quit smoking 2 weeks prior to surgery. I'm having a hard time. Anyone else?

I haven't quit yet since I'm about 3 weeks away, but since I just opened the last pack in a carton, I figure that I will stop when the pack is gone. I decided to do it early because the idea of quitting AND going on the pre-op diet sounds like pure hell. What are you finding the most difficult? I've always relied on the nicotine in times of stress... Here's hoping that the next three weeks are not too bad stress wise.

Any support I can give you, I'm here for you!

Hello are there any smokers out there? It says to quit smoking 2 weeks prior to surgery. I'm having a hard time. Anyone else?

I quit and no problems...that was the easy part...I'm having the hardest time with the pre-op diet...yikes!

I haven't quit yet since I'm about 3 weeks away, but since I just opened the last pack in a carton, I figure that I will stop when the pack is gone. I decided to do it early because the idea of quitting AND going on the pre-op diet sounds like pure hell. What are you finding the most difficult? I've always relied on the nicotine in times of stress... Here's hoping that the next three weeks are not too bad stress wise.

Oh I'm stressing over this surgery. It's the only thing I can think about. My surgery is a week away and I haven't tried too hard to quit. I have a paper and a mid term for school due on tuesday. More stress!

Oh I'm stressing over this surgery. It's the only thing I can think about. My surgery is a week away and I haven't tried too hard to quit. I have a paper and a mid term for school due on tuesday. More stress!

Wow, that does sound stressful. Well, I can tell you what happened to me in October. I had to have a lymph node in my neck removed, and no one mentioned to me that I should quit smoking. The surgery went fine, but I did wake up hearing them say...she's a smoker--I guess I was coughing or gasping or something. Anyway, when I fully came to, I had an oxygen mask on my face. They took it off, but the nurse told me that I wasn't breathing well enough and that I had to take very deep breaths and concentrate on it. The more I came to, the better I was obviously, but my lungs did hurt. So, while I don't know your medical history or not, or how much you smoke, but it does affect your ability to breathe while you are out. I am not a heavy smoker, about half a pack a day unless I'm stressed. Nevertheless, the experience I had is enough to give it a real good try this time around.

If your stress is really bad, maybe you could talk to your doctor about a short course of anti-anxiety meds? I had to take them for my MRI and the night before surgery and that really helped me.

If I had more time, I would try that new Chantix anti-smoking medication. I hear it's really good. I may still try my treating doc this week to see if I can get some.

Also, maybe some of the respiratory exercises will help? I know that Dr. Ortiz recommends an incentive spirometer, but I've also read that blowing up 30 of those small party balloons daily is good exercise too.

I am on my second smoke free day. I'm not doing too badly, but chewing a lot of gum. I had an episode last night where I thought I would lose my resolve, but my husband helped me through it by reminding me the urge would pass. (He gave up smoking a year ago, so he's a big inspiration and a lot of support for me.) It's not so bad since I'm not also putting any restrictions on my food this week. But next week when I start the pre-op, it may get more difficult. I sure hope not, though!

I am on my second smoke free day. I'm not doing too badly, but chewing a lot of gum. I had an episode last night where I thought I would lose my resolve, but my husband helped me through it by reminding me the urge would pass. (He gave up smoking a year ago, so he's a big inspiration and a lot of support for me.) It's not so bad since I'm not also putting any restrictions on my food this week. But next week when I start the pre-op, it may get more difficult. I sure hope not, though!

Good luck to you. It sounds like you are doing great!

Just an FYI. When I was banded with Dr. Ortiz, there were 5 of us. All did great except for the only one of us and she smoked. I don't know if it had anything to do with that but just something to think about. Good luck, I quit 17 years ago and I know how hard it is.

Valerie

Just an FYI. When I was banded with Dr. Ortiz, there were 5 of us. All did great except for the only one of us and she smoked. I don't know if it had anything to do with that but just something to think about. Good luck, I quit 17 years ago and I know how hard it is.

Valerie

Today sucked with the non-smoking! But, I have persevered so far. I hate it, I hate it, but I want the surgery more. So, I hope y'all don't mind me bitching about not smoking until I'm banded! I don't plan on starting again, but for now I'm telling myself it's just 3 weeks...

Don't know if this would help, but my mom was a 25 year pack/day smoker. She took the medication called Chantix (Shantix sp) and was able to quit without cravings. I have heard of many people using this medication to quit. It is not like wellbutrin it has something to do with filling nicotine receptors. I quit smoking about 7 months ago using a patch, but I was no fun to be around.

Marsene

PS - please don't construe this as medical advice -just passing on what my mom did

Valerie

I WAS STILL A LITE SMOKER UP UNTIL 4 DAYS BEFORE SURGERY. OUT OF ALL OF US BANDED ON SURGERY DAY, I WAS THE ONE UP 30 MINUTES AFTER SURGERY DOING THE YIPPIE SKIPPIE DANCE IN THE LOBBY LOL, NOT THE NON SMOKERS. I DON'T THINK BEING A SMOKER, AT THE TIME, HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH ME DOING GREAT.

SINCE THEN IT'S BEEN AN EASIER PATH, QUIT SMOKING NOT REALLY, I'M STILL A SMOKER THAT JUST HASN'T HAD A SMOKE IN MONTHS, LOSING WEIGHT, BEING A HEALTHIER ME, WHAT MORE COULD ONE ASK FOR?

PS I EVEN JOINED IN ON THE SEATTLE ST PATRICKS DAY DASH LAST WEEKEND, I WOULDN'T HAVE EVER DREAMED THAT. MY FRIENDS ARE STILL SHOCKED LOL

YOU CAN DO IT!!! =D>

I WAS STILL A LITE SMOKER UP UNTIL 4 DAYS BEFORE SURGERY. OUT OF ALL OF US BANDED ON SURGERY DAY, I WAS THE ONE UP 30 MINUTES AFTER SURGERY DOING THE YIPPIE SKIPPIE DANCE IN THE LOBBY LOL, NOT THE NON SMOKERS. I DON'T THINK BEING A SMOKER, AT THE TIME, HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH ME DOING GREAT.

SINCE THEN IT'S BEEN AN EASIER PATH, QUIT SMOKING NOT REALLY, I'M STILL A SMOKER THAT JUST HASN'T HAD A SMOKE IN MONTHS, LOSING WEIGHT, BEING A HEALTHIER ME, WHAT MORE COULD ONE ASK FOR?

PS I EVEN JOINED IN ON THE SEATTLE ST PATRICKS DAY DASH LAST WEEKEND, I WOULDN'T HAVE EVER DREAMED THAT. MY FRIENDS ARE STILL SHOCKED LOL

YOU CAN DO IT!!! =D>

I smoked almost up to the surgery because I was so stressed, but I was the first one up and around and felt great!

Stacy

I smoked almost up to the surgery because I was so stressed, but I was the first one up and around and felt great!

Stacy

OMG--Stacy! Didn't you just have surgery yesterday? I'm glad you came through well! I was just on the other board, and noticed yesterday was your day and wondering how you did! Congratulations!!!

OMG--Stacy! Didn't you just have surgery yesterday? I'm glad you came through well! I was just on the other board, and noticed yesterday was your day and wondering how you did! Congratulations!!!

I did great! I was freaking out and so scared, but everything went just awesome. I was up within an hour and probably could have walked sooner. I love this doctor. He's cut too! I'm gay and he's still cute.

Stacy

I did great! I was freaking out and so scared, but everything went just awesome. I was up within an hour and probably could have walked sooner. I love this doctor. He's cut too! I'm gay and he's still cute.

Stacy

LOL STACY

BEFORE SURGERY, THERE WAS ANOTHER GAL, THEY TOOK FIRST BECAUSE IT WAS HER BIRTHDAY. I STOOD BY MY DOOR WAY SAYING, HELLLLLOOOOOOOOO IF I DON'T GO NEXT, I'M GOING OUT FOR A SMOKE LOL THAT'S HOW EXCITED, STRESSED WHATEVER YOU CALL IT I WAS. I JUST WASN'T ONE TO STAY DOWN FOR MORE THEN A MINUTE OR TWO, I WAS BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS, ON THE PHONE, IN MY FRIENDS ROOM, IN THE LOBBY LOL.

KEEP US POSTED ON HOW YOUR DOING :)