Sushi/Sashimi

scubadot

Hi Everybody,

I am still in the planning stages of my Lapband surgery... I live in the Cayman Islands... and have lots of arrangements to make with plane tickets and such... but, I am doing this! I am very excited and nervous about my upcoming lifestyle changes. I am trying to get as much info ahead of time as possible.

I love sushi and sashimi... I know that rice can be a problem for people... has anyone tried raw fish? I love raw tuna with some soy and wasabi... is it too much to hope for that I will still be able to eat it after the surgery.

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

Dottie

Hi Everybody,

I am still in the planning stages of my Lapband surgery... I live in the Cayman Islands... and have lots of arrangements to make with plane tickets and such... but, I am doing this! I am very excited and nervous about my upcoming lifestyle changes. I am trying to get as much info ahead of time as possible.

I love sushi and sashimi... I know that rice can be a problem for people... has anyone tried raw fish? I love raw tuna with some soy and wasabi... is it too much to hope for that I will still be able to eat it after the surgery.

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

Dottie

I love sushi and would hate to give it up completely. Surgery tomorrow so I won't know for a while if it goes down ok.

Everyone is a little different on what they can and cannot eat but I think that would be fine so long as you chew thoroughly. Most of the problems seem to come from starchy foods such as bread and pasta which expand in the stomach and raw fish is about as far away from starch as you can get. Of course you won't know for sure until you try.

I love sushi and have had it many times - you must be careful as you can't cram the whole piece in your mouth which makes it hard with chopsticks etc - i tend to hold the pieces in my hand and bite them (or use a fork) I stupidly once ate a small piece of sushi role IN THE MORNING and it stuck so bad I ended up going to mexico for an unfill - horrible - do not do that!!!!

I also find the seaweed portion (over the rice) can be harder to get down so skip that or be extra careful. Some people can't do rice but I find i have no problem if again you go slow with small portions and chew like mad.

don't eat ANYTHING until your doc approves solids - for ortiz it is still i believe day 22 after surgery -then proceed with caution - your band is healing in place and you don't want to start out with a slip or worse. take care

Thank you Stacy16, Clynn and DietingQueen!

I will be keeping my fingers crossed that Sushi and Sashimi still like me after the surgery!

Thanks again,

Dottie