My - somewhat confusing - mexperience so far.

I was banded on January 15, '07. I took the pre-op and post- op very seriously, follwed to the "t". The surgery itself was a breeze. After the 3 week post-op I was excited and nervous to start solid foods. Slowly but surely I realized I had no restriction, and though I tried not to do so began to gain back some of the weight I had lost on the liquid phase. Six weeks after surgery I returned to TJ for my first fill. Again the procedure was a breeze. I got a 1.8 cc fill which I was told was the maximum for the first fill. After 3 days of liquid again I slow and carefully began solids. Here is what I found and where I am now. I have problems with chicken, tuna, salmon, bread. I have to take tiny bites and chew, chew, chew. If I forget, these foods immediately clog and pbing follows. Unless it's one of these foods, I notice little or no restriction. I'm not sure what this means. At least I'm not gaining weight and may be losing a little, though vey slowly if at all. It's been 2 weeks since the fill. I have a tax business so I can't get back to TJ until after Apr.17th anyway. I trying to follow the rules - only solid foods, etc. I notice that my cravings are less and that helps, but I don't think this is altogether what it's suppose to be. I sure hope not because I don't think I will get very far on my weight loss goal with so little restriction, but with more of a fill will I be able to get chicken, etc down at all? I would love the imput of those further along this road than I. Thanks in advance.

Starting weight(1/8/07): 217

At surgery (1/15/07): 213

At 1st fill (3/1/07) 1.8 cc: 208

Currently (3/17/07): 204.4

I was banded on January 15, '07. I took the pre-op and post- op very seriously, follwed to the "t". The surgery itself was a breeze. After the 3 week post-op I was excited and nervous to start solid foods. Slowly but surely I realized I had no restriction, and though I tried not to do so began to gain back some of the weight I had lost on the liquid phase. Six weeks after surgery I returned to TJ for my first fill. Again the procedure was a breeze. I got a 1.8 cc fill which I was told was the maximum for the first fill. After 3 days of liquid again I slow and carefully began solids. Here is what I found and where I am now. I have problems with chicken, tuna, salmon, bread. I have to take tiny bites and chew, chew, chew. If I forget, these foods immediately clog and pbing follows. Unless it's one of these foods, I notice little or no restriction. I'm not sure what this means. At least I'm not gaining weight and may be losing a little, though vey slowly if at all. It's been 2 weeks since the fill. I have a tax business so I can't get back to TJ until after Apr.17th anyway. I trying to follow the rules - only solid foods, etc. I notice that my cravings are less and that helps, but I don't think this is altogether what it's suppose to be. I sure hope not because I don't think I will get very far on my weight loss goal with so little restriction, but with more of a fill will I be able to get chicken, etc down at all? I would love the imput of those further along this road than I. Thanks in advance.

Pam,

I'm we met on the Jan. 15th at OCC. I was the only male there for a fill or any procedure for that matter. Terry C who had surgery the same day as you did is getting her first fill on the 22nd of March.

What you are experiencing sounds very normal. I didn't pickup anything from your message that is outside the normal mind-bending education most bandsters go through. If you can let the band continue to talk to you and be open to its teaching method then your eating habits will start to bend to its demands.

You may want to try other protein sources or even as I do from time to time supplement my food intake with a high protein shake to make sure I get the nutrients I need. I am vegetarian and allergic to soy so I have to do the shake thing to keep protein intake high. After losing 70lbs. my hair started to thin out and I realized it was time to up the nutrients.

Hey you started at 213 and you are at 204 - thats called progress! Congratulations! Kevin

Pam,

I'm we met on the Jan. 15th at OCC. I was the only male there for a fill or any procedure for that matter. Terry C who had surgery the same day as you did is getting her first fill on the 22nd of March.

What you are experiencing sounds very normal. I didn't pickup anything from your message that is outside the normal mind-bending education most bandsters go through. If you can let the band continue to talk to you and be open to its teaching method then your eating habits will start to bend to its demands.

You may want to try other protein sources or even as I do from time to time supplement my food intake with a high protein shake to make sure I get the nutrients I need. I am vegetarian and allergic to soy so I have to do the shake thing to keep protein intake high. After losing 70lbs. my hair started to thin out and I realized it was time to up the nutrients.

Hey you started at 213 and you are at 204 - thats called progress! Congratulations! Kevin

I'M ALWAYS TRYING TO FIND THE WORDS TO DESCRIBE HOW I'VE LEARNED TO WORK WITH MY BAND WHEN PEOPLE ASK HOW I'M DOING NOW. KEVIN, I'LL HAVE TO REMEMBER THIS, IT'S PERFECT :)

RE: If you can let the band continue to talk to you and be open to its teaching method then your eating habits will start to bend to its demands.

I am vegetarian and allergic to soy...

Ouch! You must really have a challenge in finding suitable food choices. So, do you have to do whey protein only? And are you full vegetarian, or do you eat some fish? Just curious, as I always am.

Hi,

I am in EXACTLY the same place you are. I had my fill 2 weeks ago with 1.8cc and I have the same problem with the same foods you do otherwise I don't notice much restriction. I will probably head back in 2 weeks for my second fill. From what I understand this is totally normal and it's ok to return for a fill this quickly. Hang in there, we will find our exact restriction soon. Julie

Hi,

I am in EXACTLY the same place you are. I had my fill 2 weeks ago with 1.8cc and I have the same problem with the same foods you do otherwise I don't notice much restriction. I will probably head back in 2 weeks for my second fill. From what I understand this is totally normal and it's ok to return for a fill this quickly. Hang in there, we will find our exact restriction soon. Julie

Hi Julie,

Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I imagine I too will be getting another fill soon, hoping to find that "sweet spot" where you feel full after eating 1/3 of what you used to eat and the weight just starts to "melt like chocolate in the sun"...as one bandster said happened to her. BUT I am somewhat concerned because I think with more of a fill there will be foods I will have to totally give up, and will the "fullness" be this discomfort that I feel now when I eat chicken, bread etc.? I had featured it more like, "Oh, that was so good, but I'm stuffed and can't eat another bite," not "Oh, this is is really painful, and I think it's stuck in my gullet and I'm going to have to go burp it up." It's certainly an adventure.

Hi,

Hi Julie,

Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I imagine I too will be getting another fill soon, hoping to find that "sweet spot" where you feel full after eating 1/3 of what you used to eat and the weight just starts to "melt like chocolate in the sun"...as one bandster said happened to her. BUT I am somewhat concerned because I think with more of a fill there will be foods I will have to totally give up, and will the "fullness" be this discomfort that I feel now when I eat chicken, bread etc.? I had featured it more like, "Oh, that was so good, but I'm stuffed and can't eat another bite," not "Oh, this is is really painful, and I think it's stuck in my gullet and I'm going to have to go burp it up." It's certainly an adventure.