Banded 18th March 2007

Hi every1, im Chan, 23, from London i just got banded on the 18th of march, i was so excited until i realised i cant handle pain! oh my gosh i know its 3days post op but this pain is killing me i didnt think it wud b this bad because every1 i spoke to said they didnt feel nothing, im in so much agony, i keep being told its trapped gas but how much trap gas can i have?? sometimes it feels as if my stomach is about to rip if i feel like this by friday i might have to go back to the hospital, did any1 else feel as much pain??!, can any1 give me some tips on how to release the gas or tips i can do to stop the pain (the medicine i was given made me feel worse i cant handle tabs that u put in water).

on the positive note i have lost 10lb since my pre-op weigh in last week weds... i think thats whats keeping me tryna make this work rather then go str8 to the hospital, on the other hand since the pain i seem to be finding all the horror stories about the band op (b4 i jus saw all the good stories!). :blink: how can i tell if my band has slipped or not? omg sorry about all the Qs...please help!

is this forum only for people who have been banded by Dr Ortiz?? every message i seem to read is banded by that dr, if it is sorry i just in pain and need help from other banded members.

Hi every1, im Chan, 23, from London i just got banded on the 18th of march, i was so excited until i realised i cant handle pain! oh my gosh i know its 3days post op but this pain is killing me i didnt think it wud b this bad because every1 i spoke to said they didnt feel nothing, im in so much agony, i keep being told its trapped gas but how much trap gas can i have?? sometimes it feels as if my stomach is about to rip if i feel like this by friday i might have to go back to the hospital, did any1 else feel as much pain??!, can any1 give me some tips on how to release the gas or tips i can do to stop the pain (the medicine i was given made me feel worse i cant handle tabs that u put in water).

on the positive note i have lost 10lb since my pre-op weigh in last week weds... i think thats whats keeping me tryna make this work rather then go str8 to the hospital, on the other hand since the pain i seem to be finding all the horror stories about the band op (b4 i jus saw all the good stories!). :blink: how can i tell if my band has slipped or not? omg sorry about all the Qs...please help!

is this forum only for people who have been banded by Dr Ortiz?? every message i seem to read is banded by that dr, if it is sorry i just in pain and need help from other banded members.

Hi, Chan!

I was banded 2 days before you. I'm in Kansas, USA, and I, too, didn't go to Dr. Ortiz (though he is obviously a popular guy!)

I had some pretty severe "gas" pain, too. As the CO2 used to "expand" the abdomen for surgery tries to escape, it can be very uncomfortable, especially under the collar bones and shoulder blades. Some things that can help are walking (I literally paced the floor a good share of Saturday night) and heating pads. I couldn't tell from your post whether or not you had called your Dr's office, but if things don't get better or you think your pain is from another origin, don't hesitate to call them! That's why they make the big bucks! :-)

I hope you'll soon be feeling much better!

Kelly

Hi, Chan!

I was banded 2 days before you. I'm in Kansas, USA, and I, too, didn't go to Dr. Ortiz (though he is obviously a popular guy!)

I had some pretty severe "gas" pain, too. As the CO2 used to "expand" the abdomen for surgery tries to escape, it can be very uncomfortable, especially under the collar bones and shoulder blades. Some things that can help are walking (I literally paced the floor a good share of Saturday night) and heating pads. I couldn't tell from your post whether or not you had called your Dr's office, but if things don't get better or you think your pain is from another origin, don't hesitate to call them! That's why they make the big bucks! :-)

I hope you'll soon be feeling much better!

Kelly

I had those pains for 2 to 3 weeks. I didn't expect it to be so extream. It does finally go away

kelly u know when u lean to the left while leanin foward does it hurt still? and i caleld the nurses and they said if the pain is still hurtin bad by today to call them coz i been walkin around more its less painful but does hurt if i move to the left side too much or try to stretch

pam - u kno when u was in pain for the 2-3 weeks after was it hurtin on ur left side and feelin like the band was hittin or pullin at some muscles??

kelly u know when u lean to the left while leanin foward does it hurt still? and i caleld the nurses and they said if the pain is still hurtin bad by today to call them coz i been walkin around more its less painful but does hurt if i move to the left side too much or try to stretch

pam - u kno when u was in pain for the 2-3 weeks after was it hurtin on ur left side and feelin like the band was hittin or pullin at some muscles??

Hi, Chan~

I did feel some "pulling" on the left side for several days, though it's all but gone, now. I'm glad to hear that you're in contact with the Dr.s office, though......it is certainly better to be safe than sorry! Hang in there!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chan, my names is jeni

I had my surgery done by a different. doctor also, March 15 in Chicago, Il. I had a very hard start to the band but have not once regretted it. I had to return to the hospital for dehydration and for an infection i got from the antibiotic they give you after surgery.. And the whole time my doctor was so wonderful in explaining everything to me and always keeping in touch with me... If i have any questions he gave me his email and told me not to hesitation to use it... SO I WOULD SAY THAT IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING ANY PAIN OR DISCOMFORT ASK YOUR SURGEON.. THATS WHAT HE/SHE IS THERE FOR TO HELP YOU, AND DON'T BE SHY...because if i wasn't so open with him we would have never figured out that i had the infection and i would still be having the problem...

I am still in a bit in pain but it is getting better every day with the more activity i do!!!

Wishing you all the best of luck,

Jeni ><'