The importance of breakfast to weight loss

GregNE

I just learned an interesting bit of information for those that tend to skip breakfast.

In Japan, most Sumo Wrestlers are forbidden by their stablemasters (coaches) from eating breakfast. This denial of breakfast is used as a method to get the wrestlers to gain weight, and to retain weight. They awaken early (training begins at 5am), then work out and train all morning. But lunch is their first meal of the day.

Despite exercising all morning, the lack of food at the start of their day contributes to them keeping and growing their Sumo bodies.

Just another reminder--- eat as soon as possible during your day. Your body needs the calories to start burning fat.

I just learned an interesting bit of information for those that tend to skip breakfast.

In Japan, most Sumo Wrestlers are forbidden by their stablemasters (coaches) from eating breakfast. This denial of breakfast is used as a method to get the wrestlers to gain weight, and to retain weight. They awaken early (training begins at 5am), then work out and train all morning. But lunch is their first meal of the day.

Despite exercising all morning, the lack of food at the start of their day contributes to them keeping and growing their Sumo bodies.

Just another reminder--- eat as soon as possible during your day. Your body needs the calories to start burning fat.

I totally agree! It jumpstarts your metabolism to burn calories. Great Advice Greg.

Teri

That's great advice, but I just can't eat anything until around noon. I am one of those "allergic to the planet" people, who has tons of congestion...and so my band rejects pretty much everything until early afternoon....even yogurt doesn't work in the morning hours. So, I either have a cup of coffee or a protein shake...that's about all I can do.

That's great advice, but I just can't eat anything until around noon. I am one of those "allergic to the planet" people, who has tons of congestion...and so my band rejects pretty much everything until early afternoon....even yogurt doesn't work in the morning hours. So, I either have a cup of coffee or a protein shake...that's about all I can do.

I can relate. I seem to be allergic to dust and mold, and also have constant drainage due in part to a deviated septum. But, were my choice between a cup of coffee or a protein shake, the shake would win. Coffee has little to no calories. It is calories the body needs to start the metabolism fire......and for health in general. Learning the 'sumo connection' to not having breakfast put the morning meal to the top of my must do list. Before being banded, I skipped breakfast often. And, I had the body of a sumo wrestler :blink:

Just my slightly educated opinion-----I could be wrong.