Eyes Bigger Than My New Stomach!

Kristi Ann

Is it just me? I feel silly! My surgery was in November and I still cook/buy too much food. For example, although I started out as a "lower" bmi patient, I had some serious eating issues going on. At home I would eat 2nds and 3rds of dinner. When alone, I would get take out from my favorite Italian restaurant (which was always enough to feed at least 2 people) and not only would I eat the entire pasta dish, but I would consume the entire loaf of bread, the olive oil & garlic to dip it in, and a dessert. I have sneaked food at work before because I was embarrassed for co-workers to see me eating so much. (Oh goodness, how liberating it feels to admit that. I would never before!) Bottom line--I was absolutely miserable and on my way to disaster!

Well...since my surgery, I find that I continue to order too much food. I always order at least double to triple of what I can eat. Tonight, I brought home several tacos and a bean burrito and could only eat one taco. Several times, I have bought a Wendy's chili and a baked potato--and have yet to eat the potato. My restriction rocks and I feel energetic and healthier than ever before. I am not eating the leftover food; I quickly take it to my mother who lives on my street. So what is the problem? Seems this is the PERFECT example of how the band should work! Guess I just want to know that I am not the only one that continues holding on to this emotional need for food.

Am I just plain weird?

This is so hard for me!!! I always get too much food. Especially at home, or where there are a lot of options. I throw away a lot of food, and I felt guilty about it for a while, but now I would rather throw it out than wear it. It is getting a little easier. But if we go out to eat, I order a kids meal, and still bring home at least 1-2 more meals. I also end up making too much, so eating the same thing for days on end. It gets boring. Oh, well though, I guess that is life being banded. Better than the alternative.

Becki

I usually take more than half of a restaurant meal in a 'to go' box. I do eat the leftovers, usually for my next meal, as I hate to waste.

Yesterday, I was in Texas to spend the holiday with my father. For Easter dinner, I filled a plate of food like I used to. About 1/3rd in, I had to make a trip to the bathroom to PB. So, it was the end of my holiday meal.

Yes, the band did it's job. My eyes are still bigger than my stomach.

Kristi Ann,

I can totally relate. Don't feel alone. I would buy a medium pizza and cheese cake and eat it all. Often I would go to Wendy's and get a burger, large fries, and nuggets. I too still get too much and end up throwing it out. I imagine it will take a long time to totally alter what our subconscious is used to doing out of habit. I think part of myself likes to push the band and see if I can eat it. Ofcourse throwing up hurts, so I hate it when I do it.