Weight Loss Question

momyto2

Hi...

I am new to the forum. I've enjoyed reading past post's. My best friend and I are being banded by Dr. Ortiz on 4/23/07. I am really curious about something. We are currently on the pre-op diet (which, let me tell you, 700 calories is so far less than a normal day!) and I see we are going to be on liquid after the surgery as well. Why is it that with so much caloric restriction that the weight loss isn't "huge" during that first "month"?? My cousin had bypass surgery 6 weeks ago and has lost 45# so far. She went back on solid food at 3 weeks post surgery. I know the two surgery's are completely different, but just curious as to why bypass works so much quicker when the restrictions are about the same in the beginning.

Would love to hear your input!! Also, any pre surgery or post surgery advise for two newbies would be so greatly appreciated. We leave for San Diego on Sunday April 22nd. We're both nervous about the procedure, but so looking forward to having the surgery done.

Thank you for your info!!!

Theresa :-)

Hi!!! :-h

First I would like to say congratulations on your band date! Second I would like to say I cant speak for anyone else- but the majority of my weight loss was before my first fill- I was banded January 18th and I had my first fill March 5th- to date I have lost 31 lbs- and since the fill I have been losing about a lb a week. I think toward the end- right before I got my fill- I didnt feel any restriction and saw myself eating a lot more. For a lot of people they dont feel any restriction because there is no fill when u r first banded. Lucky for me it felt uncomfortable and well restricted until the last week or so. Just be sure to get your fill as soon as u notice that u r eating more than u should. Although it will feel nice to be able to eat after everything!! lol! Dont be nervouse about the procedure- my c-section with my twins was a million times worse than this- let me tell you that after the surgery- the next day- I went walking all over TJ with a bandster that also had surgery the same day I did- we wlked all over- and although it was a little uncomfortable- it was not painful. I was walking like crazy because they told me to- I didnt know why- and let me tell u I didnt feel any of the gas pains and pressure in the shoulder that everyone talks about- be sure to walk. Be careful with mental hunger after surgery though- that was the hardest part. I missed the action of chewing (while oin liquids)- not so much the food (like I thought). And when u start eating solids- especially after your first fill- try not to eat unless u have time to sit down and eat SLOWLY. I find that when I am in a hurry - I eat faster-then I dont chew as well and then it gets stuck- and that pain is HORRIBLE! It is well worth the lifestyle change though- I promise. It is so nice to know that the weight u lose is gone for all of your life (for most people). Good luck- nice to meet you.

I know that our bodies are amazing at compensating for what we are doing to ourselves. When we take in about 700 calories a day, our body thinks we are starving and becomes very efficient, to make those calories be enough. So we lose weight, but maybe not as much as we think we should. When you start eating again, after the liquid diet, you will be hungrier and able to eat a lot, some eat as much before the first fill as they did before surgery. That is because there is no restriction yet. People who have bypass will have very immediate restriction. And most also are missing part of their digestive track, so even what they do eat does not all get absorbed. However, loseing the weight slowly has benefits. You are more likely to keep it off, your skin has time to adjust better to reduce the sagging extra skin, and our band is adjustable, so if we ever find ourselves gaining, we can have another fill. Many, many people with bypass end up gaining at least part of the weight back. I can't imagine the panic they must feel. They have completely redesigned their body, and still can gain weight. With the lapband, on the other hand, it is always adjustable and tailored for us as individuals.

Anyway, long explaination. Just don't be in a hurry. It will happen if you eat right, and especially if you throw in some exercise. I believe it is pretty much foolproof if you actually follow the bandster rules. But most people don't, so they have problems. The biggest things for me are...drink lost of water, but not for 1 hour after food. Take small bites and chew thoroughly (I sometimes us a toddler spoon to remind me). And get SOME exercise. It doesn't take much to really help you lose weight. Oh, and weight lifting and drinking water actually help with the extra sagging skin problem. And watch what you drink. It can have a lot of calories.

Good luck,

Becki

Thank you so much.... I definitely believe "slow and steady" wins the race. I am just so amazed that you can go from say a 3000+ calorie a day intake down to 700 calories and not really lose A LOT. You're right... our bodies are amazing. This surgery is amazing. The life long prospects of this surgery are amazing. :-) Can you tell I'm amazed?? HA!!!

Do you feel I'll be back to normal energy wise within a week of the surgery?? I have to leave for a work training seminar 6 days after the surgery. This was the only time I could get the surgery done. My hubby and I are adopting and are hoping to have our daughter home by mid May (saying lots of prayers) so I wanted to be well re-couped by that time as well. Thoughts??

Sorry for all the questions.... just trying to sort it all out in my mind ahead of time. :-)

Thanks!!

Theresa :-)

Thanks for this reply it's very informative. I'm curious, I read the word 'uncomfortable' a lot on these lap-band forums. Can you describe in 'pre operative terms' what kind of discomfort you have? Is it 'pain'? Is is like you've just ate too much?

Thanks!

Eric

First I would like to say congratulations on your band date! Second I would like to say I cant speak for anyone else- but the majority of my weight loss was before my first fill- I was banded January 18th and I had my first fill March 5th- to date I have lost 31 lbs- and since the fill I have been losing about a lb a week. I think toward the end- right before I got my fill- I didnt feel any restriction and saw myself eating a lot more. For a lot of people they dont feel any restriction because there is no fill when u r first banded. Lucky for me it felt uncomfortable and well restricted until the last week or so. Just be sure to get your fill as soon as u notice that u r eating more than u should. Although it will feel nice to be able to eat after everything!! lol! Dont be nervouse about the procedure- my c-section with my twins was a million times worse than this- let me tell you that after the surgery- the next day- I went walking all over TJ with a bandster that also had surgery the same day I did- we wlked all over- and although it was a little uncomfortable- it was not painful. I was walking like crazy because they told me to- I didnt know why- and let me tell u I didnt feel any of the gas pains and pressure in the shoulder that everyone talks about- be sure to walk. Be careful with mental hunger after surgery though- that was the hardest part. I missed the action of chewing (while oin liquids)- not so much the food (like I thought). And when u start eating solids- especially after your first fill- try not to eat unless u have time to sit down and eat SLOWLY. I find that when I am in a hurry - I eat faster-then I dont chew as well and then it gets stuck- and that pain is HORRIBLE! It is well worth the lifestyle change though- I promise. It is so nice to know that the weight u lose is gone for all of your life (for most people). Good luck- nice to meet you.

Hi - I'm Theresa's best friend Destiny. We are so excited about our surgeries on the 23rd! Anyways, thanks for all the info on the walking the next day - we both love to shop so we will for sure take up walking ASAP :) I am very happy to hear that it is not a painful procedure. We both are returning to work on Thursday - I was a little worried that I would be in pain, etc.

Thanks for your input - it is really appreciated.

Thanks for this reply it's very informative. I'm curious, I read the word 'uncomfortable' a lot on these lap-band forums. Can you describe in 'pre operative terms' what kind of discomfort you have? Is it 'pain'? Is is like you've just ate too much?

Thanks!

Eric

Hi Eric- well the uncomfort that u feel after the surgery is more like a tightening of the chest and upper abdomin area- basically it doesnt hurt but it u feel different and out odf your comfort zone.... The uncomfort of the bad after your fill and u have eaten too much- is like swallowing a huge piece of ICE (until u chuck it up and then u feel better!)... Chew well and eat slow is all I can say! hahaha. AS SOON AS U FEEL LIKE U ARE FULL- STOP!!!!! BECAUSE ONE MORE BITE IS ALL IT TAKE S TO RUIN YOUR NICE LITTLE MEAL! U MAY THINK U WANT TO TASTE ONE MORE BIT- DONT DO IT.... THERE IS A REASON U R GETTING THE BAND AND THAT IS SO THAT U DONT HAVE TO EAT EVERYTHING JUST BECAUSE IT IS THERE- REMEMBER THAT OR U WILL LEARN THE HARD WAY LIKE ME. HAHAHAHA.

Hi - I'm Theresa's best friend Destiny. We are so excited about our surgeries on the 23rd! Anyways, thanks for all the info on the walking the next day - we both love to shop so we will for sure take up walking ASAP :) I am very happy to hear that it is not a painful procedure. We both are returning to work on Thursday - I was a little worried that I would be in pain, etc.

Thanks for your input - it is really appreciated.

HI DESTINY- YOU GUYS R SO LUCKY U GET TO DO IT TOGETHER- I WAS ALONE AND I WISH I HAD HAD SOMEONE WITH ME LET ALONE GOING THROUGH THE SURGERY PROCESS WITH ME... GOOD LUCK- IT REALLY IS WORTH IT- JUST MAKE SURE THAT U LISTEN TO YOUR BODY IT IS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE BECAUSE YOUR BODY AND MIND ARE GOING TO BE ADAPTING TO A NEW WAY OF LIFE AND OLD HABBITS SOMETIMES FRUSTRATE YOU. IT IS SORT OF HARD TO LEARN WHAT TO SPEND YOUR TIME DOING SINCE YOU DONT NEED TO EAT ALL THE TIME- LIKE NEW DISTRACTIONS...IT IS GOOD TO THINK OF A PLAN OF THINGS U WILL DO WHEN U WNAT TO SNACK (CUZ IF U R NOT REALLY HUNGRY AND U EAT- IT WILL NOT FEEL GOOD AT ALL) SO MAYBE U GUYS COULD FIGURE SOME THINGS OUT TOGETHER. U GUYS MAKE ME SO JEALOUS! LOL. GOOD LUCK GUYS....

Hey ladies,

I just wanted to say good luck. I just came back from TJ on Saturday and I had a wonderful time. The staff is wonderful there. I had the surgery done on Thursday and was back to full operation at work on Monday. I love this band. The key is to start walking immediately after surgery. I was shopping in TJ the next day for hours. Good luck and keep us posted. ><'

If you love to shop you'll definitely want to go to Revolution Ave. Lot's of fun. Make sure that you NEVER pay the first price they ask. They will drop WAY down, if you keep bargaining. I bought a silver bracelet, and it was so cute! He asked me to give $25 for it, I said no, and he said OK, $20. I bought it for $6! LOL It's a blast!

About the gas....some are just gonna have gas pain regardless. Don't get me wrong walking DOES HELP A LOT, but some people still have to deal with some pain from it. THe night of my surgery, I had a lot of gas pain. I walked that circle in the clinic all night, and still was in pain. The next day, me and my hubby walked ALL OVER Tijuana, and I STILL had awful gas pain on the flight home. I would suggest taking some GasEX with you just in case. It comes in convenient little strips now, kinda like the Listerine Strips. I've always had problems with the gas though. Same thing with my tubal ligation, and with my gall bladder surgery, so I knew exactly what it was. My shoulder and neck hurt VERY bad. But, I'm fine now, and SO GLAD I had it done!

Good Luck!

Donna

I've been banded almost 2 years - had about 6 fills/2 unfills and finally at a restriction that I can lose weight - my total weight loss is 16lbs and 7 have been from my fill last month. I always followed the rules and exercise regularly but was eating around 1000 calories a day - now i eat under 600 and that is working. certainly never thought i could eat this little and i still have some hunger but once the scale goes down you can deal with most anything. I need to lose 60 lbs and i hope i can do it now. I can only exercise a little now as i have no energy but i still get to the gym 3-4 days a week.

also for gas pains, i found slight rubbing, massaging, patting on the back/shoulder area got rid of some of the pain (you just have to put up with burping and passing gas but it feels wonderful)

I like to describe the "uncomfortable" feeling as a cat with a hair ball. I cant stress enough that you have to pay attention to your body and stop eating the minute you feel full. It is true that just one more bite will make it all come back up. Sometimes you might just have a little burp and a baby spit up and other times its everything you just ate.