Taking family to TJ???

I went to Tijuana alone for my surgery, but I would have no problem taking my family, from a safety standpoint. The Lucerna hotel is very nice, and has a nice pool, so there is something for the kids to do. There are some channels on television that are in English. I took taxi rides wherever I wanted to go, and had no problems whatsoever. Just use the same safety precautions that you would use when traveling in any big city.

Does your family include small children? I guess my main question would be WHY you want to take them? Even though my surgery recovery was extremely easy and fast, I was happy to be able to hang around the hotel after my discharge from the hospital, and not worry about anything except myself. And when I awoke several times that first night, I just turned on my room lights and walked around the room until I got sleepy again....may not be so easy if you had small children sleeping in the room.

Feel free to write if you have additional questions. My trip and surgery were both extremely positive experiences.

Kathy

It is safe the section of TJ where the hotel, clinic and surgery center are. The Lucerna is very nice and there seemed to be quite a few children there when I was down last weekend.

The thing to think about is that you will be staying overnight in the hospital the day of your surgery so you will need to have someone there to take care of your kids (husband?).

I agree with Kathy that you are going to be focused on yourself and will need time to rest. That might not be possible if you family is there.

Shawna

I would be taking my children because my husband wants to go with me and we wouldn't have anyone to take care of them while we were gone. I am mainly concerned with taking my 4 month old across the border. My other child is 11year old. If I couldn't take them then I would have to come alone. Has anyone done that?

Thank you all for your responses.

I would think that TJ is safe for children too. But, I wouldn't want to take children to TJ for surgery. Maybe for a fill trip but not while you are trying to recover. Just too much. I understand that you don't want to go alone but many people "buddy" up with someone else that is going alone. Plus, you have to pay for the additional people in the room and it is something like $17.00 per person per night. It isn't the doctor that charges that but Lucerna does. I would call about kids, I don't think they would differ for them.

If going alone is an option (and many people do it) ask the scheduler to share your name and number with someone else that is going alone. They can "pair" you up.

Isn't there someone to take care of them for a few days??? Mom, sisters, friends, maybe a co worker?

Well _ I am a lone idiot and took all three of my little ones (at the time ages 3 1/2, 2 1/2 and 13 months. The 13 month old was still nursing. The two older ones are also special needs and have down syndrome. (I also took my husband)

So it can be done! We took am extra day to recover before leaving and I came back to the hotel the night after surgery. The hard part was getting all three carseats, dh, me and grandma- (dh mom) who had surgery the same day to fit with all our "crap" in the suburban - and it was big!

We had to- Eric was really worried about the surgery thing and really needed to be there. I think I would have died if I had left the kids with him alone (or he would have) and at least my house was clean when I got back.

Now I have four- and am actuall considering taking them with us when I go for plastic surgery- Or at least 2 of the four and leaving two with grand ma!

I had no problem at the border- just bring birth certificate. (if you are really worried- you can get a pass port for the little one- I will be applying for passporst after we get our latest adoption finalized next week and the birth certificate arrives.

Note- Eric and I took them to the cultural museum the day after surgery (we walked) and to see a movie the next day (again walked) and shoping.

It was a taxi trip if you want- but It was easier to walk with the strollers and the tax's and my need for car seats!

I took my 7 year old last year and just got back from a fill today. He was fine both times but he's just one child. My husband took him swimming during the afternoon and that helped to wear him out. I slept while they were out and was able to join them at dinner for some broth. Walked around the pool area several times and when I was ready for bed they hung out on the other bed watching TV and playing game boy. The hotel did not charge extra for my son either time. If your husband thinks he can handle them then I would bring them. My husband felt much better after he got to meet the doctors and learn first hand about the procedure. The whole experience was completely the opposite of what he would have been imagining if he stayed at home. It was a very positive experience for us. Good Luck !