Okay I am crazy!

shakinnmyshoes

This probably is going to sound off the wall but I (kind of )miss the liquid diet. I was banded on March 22 and have progressed to solid food. I was very faithful to the liquid diet and I lost some weight every day or two. Now that I am on solid food. I don't feel like I have the same control. I find myself in more situations where I have to make food choices. I feel only a little restriction. I am eating less than I used to, but I can eat probably a cup of food before I hit a stop sign. I feel like I can eat more than I should be able to. I haven't had any problems with PBing (thank goodness), but I don't want to backslide or go back to my old eating habits. I guess its time for me to sign up for a fill. A week ago, I didn't think I would need a fill for a long time, but now that I can eat solids I am not so sure.

I was going to try a fill doctor in Houston, but I found out this week that its going to cost close to $500 to get a fill with fluoro from the fillcenterusa doctor. For that amount of money, I might as well fly back to TJ. Can anyone else relate??

Hi!

You're not crazy! You were just in a comfort zone, and now you're in a different place and need to re-establish new boundaries.

One thing I would say: you may not lose much until after you get your first fill or two. The initial restriction after surgery is primarily from swelling in the area. As the area heals, the "restriction" is less as the swelling goes away.....sometimes getting to the point of almost being able to eat the volume of prebanding before the first fill. The Dr. / support group that I belong to tell us that the time between the initial surgery and the first fill (around 6 weeks) should be a time to focus on healiing and to get accustomed to the habits that the band requires (chew, chew, chew; sip,sip, sip; protein first before other foods; no water 1/2 hour before, during and to one hour after meals, etc.). Actual weight loss during this time may be minimal, but it is a valuable time to heal (so getting 60-70 grams of protein per day is very important) and to develop the habits and mentality that will go a long way to success with your band.

I was banded about one week before you (3/16). I am scheduled for my first fill on 4/27. I have tried to be somewhat limited on the solids that I've introduced since then: chicken, tuna, a little ground beef, cheese, cottage cheese. I have a protein drink for one meal per day (very low carb). I don't eat anything else until I've had my protein for that particular meal (which means, often I don't eat anything else because the protein has filled me up). If there's any room left after protein, I eat a small amount of "legal" vegie or fruit. I do allow myself 1/2 C. of SF, LF ice cream a couple times a week. I haven't had any bread, pasta, etc. since my banding. But, I really haven't missed it. That's not to say that someday I may try some breads, but for now, I'm really trying to stick to the proteins and make sure I get everything, inside and out, healed really well.

I wish you well!

Kelly

Thanks for the reply! I'll be interested to hear about how it goes with your fill.

I am doing pretty much the same with food, except I have cut out protein shakes. Mydoctor's instructions said to cut them out after we started solid foods. I have tried some "iffy" foods just to see if they would go down. I love sushi, but I was a little leery about the rice. I thought about avoiding it altogether, but I decided that I'de give it a try. It was no problem. I haven't had pasta or bread yet. I have tried fish, shrimp,scallops with no problem, but havent tried beef,chicken or pork. You were right about the "comfort zone". I can deal with really rigid food guidelines and now I have to reeducate myself to follow the band rules. I've done pretty well so far, but I haven't had a lot of choices.(shakes, soup or yogurt?)

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Were you banded in TJ? I am guessing not, since your doctor has a support group.

I appreciate you giving me some encouragement I hope all goes well when you get your "fill".

Marsene

Hi!

You're not crazy! You were just in a comfort zone, and now you're in a different place and need to re-establish new boundaries.

One thing I would say: you may not lose much until after you get your first fill or two. The initial restriction after surgery is primarily from swelling in the area. As the area heals, the "restriction" is less as the swelling goes away.....sometimes getting to the point of almost being able to eat the volume of prebanding before the first fill. The Dr. / support group that I belong to tell us that the time between the initial surgery and the first fill (around 6 weeks) should be a time to focus on healiing and to get accustomed to the habits that the band requires (chew, chew, chew; sip,sip, sip; protein first before other foods; no water 1/2 hour before, during and to one hour after meals, etc.). Actual weight loss during this time may be minimal, but it is a valuable time to heal (so getting 60-70 grams of protein per day is very important) and to develop the habits and mentality that will go a long way to success with your band.

I was banded about one week before you (3/16). I am scheduled for my first fill on 4/27. I have tried to be somewhat limited on the solids that I've introduced since then: chicken, tuna, a little ground beef, cheese, cottage cheese. I have a protein drink for one meal per day (very low carb). I don't eat anything else until I've had my protein for that particular meal (which means, often I don't eat anything else because the protein has filled me up). If there's any room left after protein, I eat a small amount of "legal" vegie or fruit. I do allow myself 1/2 C. of SF, LF ice cream a couple times a week. I haven't had any bread, pasta, etc. since my banding. But, I really haven't missed it. That's not to say that someday I may try some breads, but for now, I'm really trying to stick to the proteins and make sure I get everything, inside and out, healed really well.

I wish you well!

Kelly

Marsene,

I am going through the same thing you are, I am getting hungry and I can eat pretty much anything. I am scheduled for a fill May 5th. I feel like I am losing control of my eating habits again. I dropped 10 pounds after surgery and now I seem to be at a standstill.

Marsha

Marsene,

I am going through the same thing you are, I am getting hungry and I can eat pretty much anything. I am scheduled for a fill May 5th. I feel like I am losing control of my eating habits again. I dropped 10 pounds after surgery and now I seem to be at a standstill.

Marsha

[/quo

It's funny enough. I seem to vary from day to day. This weekend I found myself in situations where I had less than optimal food choices. I didn't feel any restriction and I felt a little out of control. Starting on Monday, I vowed to stay away from soft food and eat really solid (scary) food. Once I did that, then I started to feel some restriction. I did have one PB incident after eating three small pieces of sushi - I guess the rice stuck. I debated about whether to call the OCC about it, because I had a little pain afterwards, but it seems to be subsiding. I should have known because I've heard that other people cannot tolerate any rice. I thought I was safe because I had some a couple of days earlier without a problem. I guess its a learning curve. Solid food seems to keep me full alot longer and curb my hunger a little more. I am still losing - not fast but a pound every 3 or 4 days. Which I am satisfied with. People are starting to notice that I've lost weight, so thats pretty motivating for me.

I have been wondering how you and Kathy have been doing? I go back and forth about whether I need a fill yet, but since I am still losing, I guess I'll wait a little longer. Are you going back to TJ for a fill?

Marsene

weight.png

Marsene,

Marsha

[/quo

It's funny enough. I seem to vary from day to day. This weekend I found myself in situations where I had less than optimal food choices. I didn't feel any restriction and I felt a little out of control. Starting on Monday, I vowed to stay away from soft food and eat really solid (scary) food. Once I did that, then I started to feel some restriction. I did have one PB incident after eating three small pieces of sushi - I guess the rice stuck. I debated about whether to call the OCC about it, because I had a little pain afterwards, but it seems to be subsiding. I should have known because I've heard that other people cannot tolerate any rice. I thought I was safe because I had some a couple of days earlier without a problem. I guess its a learning curve. Solid food seems to keep me full alot longer and curb my hunger a little more. I am still losing - not fast but a pound every 3 or 4 days. Which I am satisfied with. People are starting to notice that I've lost weight, so thats pretty motivating for me.

I have been wondering how you and Kathy have been doing? I go back and forth about whether I need a fill yet, but since I am still losing, I guess I'll wait a little longer. Are you going back to TJ for a fill?

Marsene

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWiEGao/" target="_blank">

weight.png

</a>

Marsene

I am going back May 5th at 11:00, I think I am ready for a fill. I have been wondering about Kathy too. She gave me her phone number and I can't find it. I haven't had any PB, I am glad about that. I went back to work Monday after surgery and I have felt great ever since. I have no regrets about having this done. I am glad to hear you are doing good.

Marsha