Research

Hello group. I was told that you guys were a reliable group for information...so i thought i would ask you all some questions. I want to have lap-band surgery. I believe I will be doing this some time in the fall. So I am trying to do some research...actually a lot of research. Does anyone out there know how many people with the lap-band experience weight re-gain or no loss at all. Percentage wise....I have read the trials for FDA approval and that was done on such a small amount of people that I would hardly call it reliable. I was wondering if anyone had any information on that or if some one could point me in the right direction. My worst fear is that I would get this band and work really hard to lose the weight and end up gaining it all back. I know that is a problem with RNY. I don't think I could emotionally handle that. Thanks in advance for any help you might have to offer.

Jeannine

Hi G-9

I'm pretty new to this banded thing , only 3.5 months out but have had great success. I have yet to meet anyone who has NOT lost weight with the band, nor have I met anyone who has gained their weight back once they reached goal and I am on several different support boards besides this one with many men and women who are at various stages of the band. My neighboor who had the surgery and was the one who turned me onto it has been banded now for over 2 years and has not put back one ounce of weight. The band is a tool to help you lose weight, you do have to work with your band to make it as successful as possible. You do need to follow some bandster rules and make better food choices but it definatley controls your portion size and food intake. I no longer eat between meals and eat roughly between 1200-1500 calories a day. I have had one fill so far (1.1cc's) and it seems to be working becasue I'm losing with minimal effort. I do not feel deprived what so ever. It does not feel like a diet at all. The bypass patients have a higher rate of gaining their weight back we bandsters on the other hand can always control our food intake by getting a fill. If you feel like you are eating more and gaining then it is time for an adjustment. Bypass patients don't have that option. From everything that i have read , bypass patients have a window of opportunity of about 1-2 years to lose weight then after that some will put weight back on. Havent met a bandster yet who has not had success!

Good luck to you

Michelle

5'6

265/227.5/160ish