Bad Emergency Room Experience

I want to buy a 4" Hueber needle, you will see why after you read this. Here is my emergency room experience: First of all, be sure to get a LapBand wallet card from your doc that has an x-ray of what the LapBand looks like in case you have to visit an emergency room. Also, keep handy the toll free phone number 877-LAP-BAND which will locate the nearest bariatric doctor to you 24/7. I accidentally swallowed a piece of shrimp shell that got stuck. I have never thrown up so loudly and violently in all my life (mostly dry heaves). It was painful, loud, and scary. I thought I was going to die. Put it this way, my husband is as tough as nails, but when he saw how violently I was throwing-up, he literally cried. This went on for thirty minutes before I went to the nearest emergency room which was an hour's drive away (it was on the weekend, after hours, of course). The emergency room docs had never even heard of a LapBand before, much less seen one. The x-ray on my wallet card helped immensely; however they only had a 2" Hueber needle so they could not unfill me (requires a 4" Hueber needle). After about three or four hours of periodic, violent vomiting, the shrimp shell finally passed on its own, but if it had not, I would have needed to know where the nearest bariatric facility was that had a 4" Hueber needle (877-LAP-BAND). A few days later, my doctor's office called the emergency room to request that they keep 4" Hueber needles in stock because he has several LapBand patients in the area, but the emergency room refused, saying that I was the only LapBand patient they had ever seen, so they could not justify keeping 4" Hueber needles in stock. I asked my doc if he would sell me a 4" Hueber needle in case of emergencies, and he refused because of liability. Does anyone know where I may purchase a 4" Hueber needle?

I want to buy a 4" Hueber needle, you will see why after you read this. Here is my emergency room experience: First of all, be sure to get a LapBand wallet card from your doc that has an x-ray of what the LapBand looks like in case you have to visit an emergency room. Also, keep handy the toll free phone number 877-LAP-BAND which will locate the nearest bariatric doctor to you 24/7. I accidentally swallowed a piece of shrimp shell that got stuck. I have never thrown up so loudly and violently in all my life (mostly dry heaves). It was painful, loud, and scary. I thought I was going to die. Put it this way, my husband is as tough as nails, but when he saw how violently I was throwing-up, he literally cried. This went on for thirty minutes before I went to the nearest emergency room which was an hour's drive away (it was on the weekend, after hours, of course). The emergency room docs had never even heard of a LapBand before, much less seen one. The x-ray on my wallet card helped immensely; however they only had a 2" Hueber needle so they could not unfill me (requires a 4" Hueber needle). After about three or four hours of periodic, violent vomiting, the shrimp shell finally passed on its own, but if it had not, I would have needed to know where the nearest bariatric facility was that had a 4" Hueber needle (877-LAP-BAND). A few days later, my doctor's office called the emergency room to request that they keep 4" Hueber needles in stock because he has several LapBand patients in the area, but the emergency room refused, saying that I was the only LapBand patient they had ever seen, so they could not justify keeping 4" Hueber needles in stock. I asked my doc if he would sell me a 4" Hueber needle in case of emergencies, and he refused because of liability. Does anyone know where I may purchase a 4" Hueber needle?

That is RIDICULOUS that your ER acted that way. It's even WORSE that they wouldn't agree to stock a few 4" Hubers! I would think there could be a lawsuit in there somewhere! LOL I think you can order Huber needles on the internet, but I'm not sure. If not, check with your local pharmacy, and see if they can help you. Do you happen to have any relatives in the medical field? Check with them. My cousin is an RN, and says she can get em'. If all else fails, avoid shrimp! Just kidding! Hope you can find one soon! Sorry to hear about your experience!

Donna

I have NO idea if this is what you'd need, but dang, I'm sitting here not able to even swallow water, have an appointment for Monday AM in TJ and if I knew an ER could unfill me, I'd be there now. You've got me thanking myself I didn't drive to our little rural one

http://www.imed.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/K7663/rfr/NEX

If that's not it, they may be able to help you. Let us know what you find out - I'm certainly not opposed to having one myself in case of emergency!!

• 2 weeks later...

OMG! what a horrifying experience! All the while, I thought that after a few weeks, that we could go back to eating just about anything! I can't help you with the needle, but you helped me realize how careful we all need to be.....what is surprising is that the band didn't slip, must be sewn in there rather well, so that was a good thing, at least...watch those shrimp!

I have NO idea if this is what you'd need, but dang, I'm sitting here not able to even swallow water, have an appointment for Monday AM in TJ and if I knew an ER could unfill me, I'd be there now. You've got me thanking myself I didn't drive to our little rural one

http://www.imed.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/K7663/rfr/NEX

If that's not it, they may be able to help you. Let us know what you find out - I'm certainly not opposed to having one myself in case of emergency!!

As of 5/5/07 I am still looking for a 4" Huber needle. The bariatric medical supply sites I have found online (including imed.com) carry up to 2" only. I have emailed queries to several medical supply sites, but no luck yet. Please let me know if anyone finds out where I may buy a 4" Huber needle. Thank you. Rachelle