Sweet Spot

Pam P

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz January 15. The surgery was easy. The gas pains were a drag (I was told not to take GasX by the way since the pain was from irritation caused by the gas not by having gas), but went away after a couple of weeks. Apparently I was unusually sensitive to the gas. Still it wasn't that bad considering. After the three weeks of liquids I felt no restriction. Six weeks after the surgery I went to TJ for a fill. The procedure was a breeze. I was in and out in 20 minutes. The fill was 1.8cc. Now I have restriction with certain foods; chicken, bread, sticky rice for instance. Other things: crackers, well chewed vegetables, most things really, go through fine. With the first group I have to be super careful. One tiny bite too much and I'm in misery, one more bite & pbing follows and it 20 minutes before I can focus on anything other than the pressure in my chest. This is not what I expected. Is it what you guys experience? I guess I was naive, but I thought it would be like eating a lot at Thanksgiving dinner.... feeling full. This is more like feeling something is stuck. Would the "Sweet Spot" be another 4 to 6ccs, or whatever, so that I have this "restriction" with more foods? I can't eat just chicken and bread. I started at around 218 and have lost about 13 pounds, but a lot of this was due to the liquid diet phase. It also seems that the restriction is more severe at times and not so at others, but from reading on this forum that seems to be common. I just haven't read much about the restriction actually being easily quite uncomfortable. Can some one explain the "sweet spot" in their experience?

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz January 15. The surgery was easy. The gas pains were a drag (I was told not to take GasX by the way since the pain was from irritation caused by the gas not by having gas), but went away after a couple of weeks. Apparently I was unusually sensitive to the gas. Still it wasn't that bad considering. After the three weeks of liquids I felt no restriction. Six weeks after the surgery I went to TJ for a fill. The procedure was a breeze. I was in and out in 20 minutes. The fill was 1.8cc. Now I have restriction with certain foods; chicken, bread, sticky rice for instance. Other things: crackers, well chewed vegetables, most things really, go through fine. With the first group I have to be super careful. One tiny bite too much and I'm in misery, one more bite & pbing follows and it 20 minutes before I can focus on anything other than the pressure in my chest. This is not what I expected. Is it what you guys experience? I guess I was naive, but I thought it would be like eating a lot at Thanksgiving dinner.... feeling full. This is more like feeling something is stuck. Would the "Sweet Spot" be another 4 to 6ccs, or whatever, so that I have this "restriction" with more foods? I can't eat just chicken and bread. I started at around 218 and have lost about 13 pounds, but a lot of this was due to the liquid diet phase. It also seems that the restriction is more severe at times and not so at others, but from reading on this forum that seems to be common. I just haven't read much about the restriction actually being easily quite uncomfortable. Can some one explain the "sweet spot" in their experience?

Hi,

I'm in the same spot as you for the most part. I had my surgery Jan 3rd and have already had my 2nd fill. I'm at 2.5cc and had good restriction for about a week and now wonder if I need to go back for a 3rd which I am more than willing to do. I'm just wondering how long it takes for the fills to really start working, so I'm waiting to hear responses to your question.

Hi,

I'm in the same spot as you for the most part. I had my surgery Jan 3rd and have already had my 2nd fill. I'm at 2.5cc and had good restriction for about a week and now wonder if I need to go back for a 3rd which I am more than willing to do. I'm just wondering how long it takes for the fills to really start working, so I'm waiting to hear responses to your question.

Julie66t

Thanks for your response. I am frustrated though hopeful that I can get this figured out. Too many people are so happy with their band, it must work when you get it right. I, like you, am not giving up. At this point, however, I am confused. 1) The good restriction you had for about a week after your second fill. What was that like? Was it like I described with chicken... where it almost hurts in your chest? Did you feel like that with most foods? Is that what we're looking for? I, personally, had not realized it would be so uncomfortable, but okay if it keeps me from eating I guess I can deal with it. 2) What is the average fill level? Do you know? I'm only at 1.8cc. 3) Have you lost much? I read in one post that when you get the right level of fill, the weight goes like chocolate melting in the sun. I have not experienced that yet.

Julie66t

Thanks for your response. I am frustrated though hopeful that I can get this figured out. Too many people are so happy with their band, it must work when you get it right. I, like you, am not giving up. At this point, however, I am confused. 1) The good restriction you had for about a week after your second fill. What was that like? Was it like I described with chicken... where it almost hurts in your chest? Did you feel like that with most foods? Is that what we're looking for? I, personally, had not realized it would be so uncomfortable, but okay if it keeps me from eating I guess I can deal with it. 2) What is the average fill level? Do you know? I'm only at 1.8cc. 3) Have you lost much? I read in one post that when you get the right level of fill, the weight goes like chocolate melting in the sun. I have not experienced that yet.

When it felt right for that one week, I just felt full after eating very little. i don't think good restriction should necessarily hurt, I have to remind myself to eat slowly though otherwise food does get stuck and uncomfortable. Chicken is terrible for me sometimes. My chest does hurt sometimes like you said. I have 2.5cc and I'm scheduled to go next week for another fill. I've only lost 20lbs. so far. Part of that is learning to make better food choices when I eat. 3cc might do the trick if I get that much. Julie

When it felt right for that one week, I just felt full after eating very little. i don't think good restriction should necessarily hurt, I have to remind myself to eat slowly though otherwise food does get stuck and uncomfortable. Chicken is terrible for me sometimes. My chest does hurt sometimes like you said. I have 2.5cc and I'm scheduled to go next week for another fill. I've only lost 20lbs. so far. Part of that is learning to make better food choices when I eat. 3cc might do the trick if I get that much. Julie

Hi, Again thanks for your response. I'm starting to put this together ... what it is I can untimately hope for. It is odd what gives problems. Chicken sticks if you aren't very careful, bread too, but tortilla chips ... no problem. I was very happy to read response from Kristi Ann to a question I asked about that much pursued "sweet spot". Very informative and encouraging. Read it. Good luck with your fill next week. Please post after you've had the chance to see what you get. I'll keep good thoughts that you hit it.