? For Lori on aspirin

LoriBecky,

What does Ortiz recommend instead of aspirin? I have a jaw problem and the dentist said a week of heavy aspirin - is alleve ok or what can I take? thanks

My understanding is that Tylenol is no problem.

There is also some newer research I read about a few months ago that there is not a likely link to NSAIDS and band erosions, but so far I have not risked it. I want to see more data first. Toradol is also okay, but it is prescription only (I bought mine OTC in Mexico).

thanks i called the office and they did say alleve but i'm switching to liquid tylenol. I crushed an alleve last night (icky) but it went ok and today i tried a whole coated on and i think it went ok but i ended up gulping (big mistake) a huge swig of milk and my middle of chest hurts like someone kicked me - pretty sure it is the milk not the pill but i hate that feeling.

Aleve, Aspirin & Ibuprofen are all from the same class of drugs called NSAIDS and all should be avoided for the week preceeding surgery.

You can take them after you are healed from surgery without problem - I have to take anti-inflammatories for my back problem.

Tylenol is always OK as is Vicodin (tylenol with opiates) - it won't thin the blood and can be prescribed by a doctor for stronger pain relief. Anything in the shape of a capsule, a liquid, or a pill (coated is better) smaller than an advil is OK but take with 8oz of water to make sure it passes through the band.

It used to be thought that NSAIDS could cause problems for banded patients, but that research has proved to be inaccurate. NSAIDS pose the same health risks for banded and unbanded patients, that is an increased risk of stomach ulcers or bleeding if you are prone to that problem. They can also cause stomach upset if taken on an empty stomach. I usually take them just prior to eating with a glass of milk, that's just what works for me :)

My understanding is that Tylenol is no problem.

There is also some newer research I read about a few months ago that there is not a likely link to NSAIDS and band erosions, but so far I have not risked it. I want to see more data first. Toradol is also okay, but it is prescription only (I bought mine OTC in Mexico).

Did you have any problems bringing it back over the border?

• 2 weeks later...
You can take them after you are healed from surgery without problem - I have to take anti-inflammatories for my back problem.

How soon after surgery can you take them? I also have a back problem and it is screaming for its Ibuprofen!