Any success stories?

Hi all,

I've been through most of the posts on the forum and I feel safe in making the following observations:

1) Everyone is unanimous about Dr. Ortiz and his staff's professionalism.

2) Almost everyone has an extremely positive attitude and are remarkably upbeat.

3) Given the chance, almost everyone would do the surgery again.

However, when I look at the results that even the most happy and positive-sounding patients report, they seem fairly disappointing especially when compared to individual goals and the time that has passed since their surgeries. Am I missing something here?

Has anyone actually reached their goal weight?

Failing that, is anyone even actually closer to their goal weight than their starting weight (I.e. have lost more than 1/2 their target weight loss)?

Has anyone had just 1 (or 2) fills and reached their sweet spot? Or is it essential to get many more fills to reach that target?

I'm scheduled for surgery next week and as delighted as I am about everyone's positive messages here, I'd like to think that I have a very good shot at getting to my target weight without numerous fills, many setbacks or a lot of hunger, pain and discomfort.

Perhaps it's just the nature of things that only people who have problems post messages and the real successes are silent and simply enjoying their success. But I'd really love to hear a few out-and-out success stories please.

Sanjay

RIGHT NOW I COULD CARELESS IF I LOST ANOTHER POUND BUT A FEW MORE WOULD BE NICE. I FEEL GOOD, THOUGH A LITTLE HEAVIER THEN WHAT I'D LIKE SO NO, I'M NOT AT GOAL. WELL I WANTED TO GET SOME OF THE WEIGHT OFF, LOOK BETTER, FEEL BETTER, BE HEALTHIER, SO I GUESS I DID MAKE THAT GOAL WHICH WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE WITHOUT THE BANDS HELP.

MY REWARD FOR BEING GOOD, A TUMMY TUCK TOMORROW :)

I'VE REACHED AND STAYED AT MY SWEET SPOT WITH 3 FILLS. MY LAST FILL WAS AT THE END OF JANUARY

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ON YOUR JOURNEY

Hi all,

I've been through most of the posts on the forum and I feel safe in making the following observations:

2) Almost everyone has an extremely positive attitude and are remarkably upbeat.

However, when I look at the results that even the most happy and positive-sounding patients report, they seem fairly disappointing especially when compared to individual goals and the time that has passed since their surgeries. Am I missing something here?

Failing that, is anyone even actually closer to their goal weight than their starting weight (I.e. have lost more than 1/2 their target weight loss)?

Has anyone had just 1 (or 2) fills and reached their sweet spot? Or is it essential to get many more fills to reach that target?

I'm scheduled for surgery next week and as delighted as I am about everyone's positive messages here, I'd like to think that I have a very good shot at getting to my target weight without numerous fills, many setbacks or a lot of hunger, pain and discomfort.

Perhaps it's just the nature of things that only people who have problems post messages and the real successes are silent and simply enjoying their success. But I'd really love to hear a few out-and-out success stories please.

Sanjay

The journey is different for everyone and alot of people only come to the forum when they need something like advice, motivation or companionship for a time. I'm sure there are countless success stories out there but you're right, people won't usually come on just to say how great everything is help to others. It's great that we have this place to be able to discuss these things, isn't it?

Good luck on your upcoming surgery and best wishes for a successful journey!!!

The journey is different for everyone and alot of people only come to the forum when they need something like advice, motivation or companionship for a time. I'm sure there are countless success stories out there but you're right, people won't usually come on just to say how great everything is help to others. It's great that we have this place to be able to discuss these things, isn't it?

You have been really successful it seems. What are your secrets?

Thanks very much, Steve. I'm with Dana, though. It sounds like you've done very well. 50+ lbs in three months is a definite success story. Could you post a little more information? How many fills have you had? What was your monthly weight loss? Which pre-op diet did you use? Any setbacks? If so, what were the solutions? What's your goal? Your results are very motivating and inspirational!

Sanjay

RIGHT NOW I COULD CARELESS IF I LOST ANOTHER POUND

I'M NOT AT GOAL.

I must confess that this confuses me, Pammie. You're not at goal, but could care less about losing more weight. The two comments seem to be totally contradictory. If you don't care about losing more weight, perhaps you ARE at your goal (and just need to redefine it)? Or if your goal is definitely a lower weight, then perhaps you need to care more about acheiving it? It seems to me that this is a big step, a great opportunity.... ah, I'm just rambling now. Perhaps we're just defining success in different terms.

I must confess that this confuses me, Pammie. You're not at goal, but could care less about losing more weight. The two comments seem to be totally contradictory. If you don't care about losing more weight, perhaps you ARE at your goal (and just need to redefine it)? Or if your goal is definitely a lower weight, then perhaps you need to care more about acheiving it? It seems to me that this is a big step, a great opportunity.... ah, I'm just rambling now. Perhaps we're just defining success in different terms.

I was just wondering were do you stand at your preop weight and height? Pammie had a little bit less to lose than some of us on here me starting at 267 and down to 210 - am I at goal weight no but I do feel great and in my opinion look great- instead of the oh you have such a pretty face I am gettign the compliments you look wonderful ----i am proud of you and that makes think wow do I need to lose more? only I know i need to lose more cause at 210 i know it would be even greater if I was at 175 my BMI indicates for my height and age i guess i should be at 145 will I get there that is another 65lbs i look in the morror and wonder wow what will i look like at 145? I think 175 is more realistic for me....so at this point you are getting opinions of people that are still working at losing and getting towards thier personal goals ----the people that are at thier personal goal do float around and lurk occasionally - if you go to obesityhelp.com lapband forum you will see the success stories that I believe you may be looking for and they do post on a regular basis there ----I love that site as much as I like this one

hope the comments that you are looking for will be found soon

tha lapband is a wonderful thing - but it is a tool and not one that actually collects dust in the tool chest- WE ALL HAVE TO WORK WITH IT and understand our bodies reaction to it - listen to our bodies - it doesn't chnge our thoughts of eating only we can change our ways of eating it just helps us

Hi all,

Sanjay

Just my 2 cents worth.

I was banded October 2006 by Dr. Ortiz My opinion of the Great Dr. and his wonderful staff is the same as you have found throughout this forum.

I am currently within 15lbs of my goal.

My Post surgery weight 315

Current weight 230

My Highest weight 350+

I have had 4 fills and and 1 unfill

You will hear it said that the band is only a tool to assist you in your weight loss journey.

The longer you have it the more this will become clear

I have found that other tools are required, such as a stuctured weight loss program. Most of us overwieght types have found short term success with different diets only to gain much more weight back after crashing off.

I have used the weight watchers eating plan to lose the weight, and the band to help me keep from crashing off that plan and gaining a bunch of weight back, if I get too busy/lazy/distracted to follow the plan.

Excercise becomes a natural side effect of the weight loss. Not that you will join a gym or start walking/jogging every night (wouldn't be a bad idea) but I have caught myself walking more at work and around the house mainly because it is not the painful experiance it used to be.

I can say the same thing as Pammie when it comes to the fact that I am not at my goal weight but I am ok with that.

This is my explanation of this statement.

Right now I am down 120 lbs from where I was in January of 2006. I have been actively fighting my weight problem for a year and 5 months.

9 months into this journey I started putting weight back on, that is when I made the decision to get Banded. Now, 7 months have passed since surgery and I am the lightest I have been in 20 years!! It is my opinion that I would weigh somewhere around 400 lbs right now if not for surgery. So I can somewhat claim 85lbs weight (Prevention) right from the start!

I do not feel like I am on a diet. I do not feel that I am in danger of gaining this weight back. In fact on any given week I will gain or lose 2 to 3 pounds or stay the same weight. I have not had any consecutive weight gain weeks. Meaning that if I gain 2 or 3 pounds this week, next week I will be back Down 2 or 3 or even more pounds.

I feel in control of this situation for the first time in my life! CONTROL! This takes the pressure off of the whole goal thing because I absolutely without a doubt kow I will get to my goal and probably more. The only question is WHEN! This takes a tremendous amount of pressure off and adds huge amounts of confidence making it virtually unnecessary to keep dreaming of a stated (GOAL).

I believe you are right to think that there are a lot of untold success stories out there. I know I have been busy adjusting and learning since my surgery and am just now sitting down to give back to this powerful and helpful forum.

JC

Just my 2 cents worth.

I was banded October 2006 by Dr. Ortiz My opinion of the Great Dr. and his wonderful staff is the same as you have found throughout this forum.

Current weight 230

My Highest weight 350+

You will hear it said that the band is only a tool to assist you in your weight loss journey.

The longer you have it the more this will become clear

I have found that other tools are required, such as a stuctured weight loss program. Most of us overwieght types have found short term success with different diets only to gain much more weight back after crashing off.

I have used the weight watchers eating plan to lose the weight, and the band to help me keep from crashing off that plan and gaining a bunch of weight back, if I get too busy/lazy/distracted to follow the plan.

Excercise becomes a natural side effect of the weight loss. Not that you will join a gym or start walking/jogging every night (wouldn't be a bad idea) but I have caught myself walking more at work and around the house mainly because it is not the painful experiance it used to be.

I can say the same thing as Pammie when it comes to the fact that I am not at my goal weight but I am ok with that.

This is my explanation of this statement.

Right now I am down 120 lbs from where I was in January of 2006. I have been actively fighting my weight problem for a year and 5 months.

9 months into this journey I started putting weight back on, that is when I made the decision to get Banded. Now, 7 months have passed since surgery and I am the lightest I have been in 20 years!! It is my opinion that I would weigh somewhere around 400 lbs right now if not for surgery. So I can somewhat claim 85lbs weight (Prevention) right from the start!

I do not feel like I am on a diet. I do not feel that I am in danger of gaining this weight back. In fact on any given week I will gain or lose 2 to 3 pounds or stay the same weight. I have not had any consecutive weight gain weeks. Meaning that if I gain 2 or 3 pounds this week, next week I will be back Down 2 or 3 or even more pounds.

I feel in control of this situation for the first time in my life! CONTROL! This takes the pressure off of the whole goal thing because I absolutely without a doubt kow I will get to my goal and probably more. The only question is WHEN! This takes a tremendous amount of pressure off and adds huge amounts of confidence making it virtually unnecessary to keep dreaming of a stated (GOAL).

I believe you are right to think that there are a lot of untold success stories out there. I know I have been busy adjusting and learning since my surgery and am just now sitting down to give back to this powerful and helpful forum.

JC

JC all I can say is AMEN

I was just wondering were do you stand at your preop weight and height? Pammie had a little bit less to lose than some of us on here me starting at 267 and down to 210 - am I at goal weight no but I do feel great and in my opinion look great- instead of the oh you have such a pretty face I am gettign the compliments you look wonderful ----i am proud of you and that makes think wow do I need to lose more?

Good for you, Cyndi! I'm glad that you're making great progress, seeing results even beyond the weight loss, and continuing to strive for more weight loss.

I'm 6'0" and my weight last week, prior to pre-op dieting was 271.5. Today I am 263, shooting for 250 by surgery date on May 16th (3 protein shakes a day only) and 175 by the end of the year. And I CARE VERY MUCH about reaching my goals - weight loss in ADDITION to better health, more energy and compliments.

Current weight 230

My Highest weight 350+

IMO, this definitely counts as a massive success story. Good for you!

This is the part that concerns me the most. Everytime I start to think that this is medical science, numbers like these seem to indicate that it's hit and miss, trial and error, and that US Airways is about to get another frequent flyer! :(

I really appreciate this. I think more like you are needed. I found LapBandTalk contains many positive, inspirational, motivating posts. If it wasn't for that forum, and I read only this one, I'm pretty sure I would have changed my mind and opted out of the surgery. :(

IMO, this definitely counts as a massive success story. Good for you!

This is the part that concerns me the most. Everytime I start to think that this is medical science, numbers like these seem to indicate that it's hit and miss, trial and error, and that US Airways is about to get another frequent flyer! :(

I really appreciate this. I think more like you are needed. I found LapBandTalk contains many positive, inspirational, motivating posts. If it wasn't for that forum, and I read only this one, I'm pretty sure I would have changed my mind and opted out of the surgery. :(

I was worried about the fills too. I went back to TJ for the first fill. The fact that I am in Florida and the constraints of my job caused me to seek out a fill Dr in my local area. Someone at Dr Grossbard's office suggested I contact Fill Centers USA. Here is their link www.fillcentersusa.com . I have been seeing a fill center Dr in Tampa and have nothing but good things to say about her.

The unfill happened as a result of a stomach virus going around at my office. Apparently when I caught it, the throwing up caused swelling making me very uncomfortable. That is the beauty of the band it can be adjusted for the situations life throws your way.

I am so happy that I did not go for Bypass surgery it was important to me that the band actually can be adjusted or if neccessary removed.

Also I have a VG band which for good reason seems to be a little bit harder to find the sweet spot.

Another thought, alot of people like me are probably researching plastic surgeons. My rate of weight loss seems to have minimized the amount of loose skin I have, but there is some that I would like to get rid of. This research has been slow because I am finding it hard to find many before and after photos of men's Tummy Tuck/Body Lift . It is taking up a big portion of my time, but I still feel it is important for me to GIVE BACK to this forum. This site was a crucial factor in my success.

JC

Hi Sanjay!

My name is Kelly. There have been a lot of success stories out there. Like one of the ladies said some don't post that often here because there don't have time or on with other groups. Some only post when they are about to have surgery or need to share a ride for a fill. I had my surgery April 26th. I'm down 30 lbs. today. I'll tell you one thing I have NO MORE HIP PAIN! And that is GREAT in my book! I'm not at my goal by a long shot. But, I'm working on it very had. I wish for everyone just to be in better health. I have diabetes, high blood perssure, high colsteral (sp). I was adopted and a few yrs. ago I found out that my bio-mother had a stroke at the age of 55 and soon after was put in a home because her sons couldn't care for her any longer. She passed away 2 yrs.ago. Her mother died of a massive heartacke 5 yrs. earlier. So heart problems run in the family. I'm 47 and I feel like I have a lot of living to do. I have 2 goals that I have set for myself. The 1st.- is to lose weight so I won't have to take meds. any more. (6 pills). The 2nd.- is alittle vain it's to get back into some of my 9-10's. If I only reach the 1st. one then it will be a success story.

Kelly C. in Fl.

April 1 started Pre-Op Diet weight -241lbs.

April 26 th. day of surgery- 221 lbs.

May 10 today 2 weeks after surgery 211 lbs.

Total lose 30lbs.

I'm still working on it!!

Hi Sanjay!

My name is Kelly. There have been a lot of success stories out there. Like one of the ladies said some don't post that often here because there don't have time or on with other groups. Some only post when they are about to have surgery or need to share a ride for a fill. I had my surgery April 26th. I'm down 30 lbs. today. I'll tell you one thing I have NO MORE HIP PAIN! And that is GREAT in my book! I'm not at my goal by a long shot. But, I'm working on it very had. I wish for everyone just to be in better health. I have diabetes, high blood perssure, high colsteral (sp). I was adopted and a few yrs. ago I found out that my bio-mother had a stroke at the age of 55 and soon after was put in a home because her sons couldn't care for her any longer. She passed away 2 yrs.ago. Her mother died of a massive heartacke 5 yrs. earlier. So heart problems run in the family. I'm 47 and I feel like I have a lot of living to do. I have 2 goals that I have set for myself. The 1st.- is to lose weight so I won't have to take meds. any more. (6 pills). The 2nd.- is alittle vain it's to get back into some of my 9-10's. If I only reach the 1st. one then it will be a success story.

Kelly C. in Fl.

Total lose 30lbs.

Kelly, sounds like you're off to a great start!

Contrats!

JC

Hi Sanjay!

Kelly C. in Fl.

Total lose 30lbs.

Hi Kelly,

Thanks very much for sharing your story. It certainly motivates me to follow in your footsteps. I also have diabetes, high cholestrol, high blood pressure and a family history of heart disease. In addition, I have Sleep Apnea and sleep with a CPAP machine. I started my pre-op diet on Monday and have already lost 17 lbs (271 to 254) with another 5 days to surgery (16th) and a target below 250 for surgery date. I'm a little nervous, but mostly excited.

I'm less concerned about the surgery - it's pretty much out of my hands, and I'm confident that I've chosen an excellent surgeon - but rather worried about the post-op diet. Nothing but liquids for 4 weeks sounds VERY difficult. How are you coping? I'm very pleased to see that you've lost another 10 lbs since your surgery. Has it been tough on the diet? What about pain and discomfort?

I quess it's way too early to know what kind of impact it's having on your various weight-related diseases. But what about your meds? Are you crushing them, or are you able to swallow them whole even with the band?

Thanks again for sharing your story,

Sanjay

RIGHT NOW I COULD CARELESS IF I LOST ANOTHER POUND BUT A FEW MORE WOULD BE NICE. I FEEL GOOD, THOUGH A LITTLE HEAVIER THEN WHAT I'D LIKE SO NO, I'M NOT AT GOAL. WELL I WANTED TO GET SOME OF THE WEIGHT OFF, LOOK BETTER, FEEL BETTER, BE HEALTHIER, SO I GUESS I DID MAKE THAT GOAL WHICH WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE WITHOUT THE BANDS HELP.

MY REWARD FOR BEING GOOD, A TUMMY TUCK TOMORROW :)

I'VE REACHED AND STAYED AT MY SWEET SPOT WITH 3 FILLS. MY LAST FILL WAS AT THE END OF JANUARY

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ON YOUR JOURNEY

Congrats, Pammie - break a leg !!!

Please keep us posted -- we'll certainly be thinking of you! Are you going local

or are you going back to TJ ?? Just getting prepped for my turn !

Great luck to you!!

Lisa

Everyone's experience is different. I was a lower bmi (35) patient and have only lost 14lbs in two years - doing all things i was told to do plus some. I wanted the band to help me be a 'natural eater' which to me is someone who enjoys a wide range of food in small quantitites with a treat here and there. I did not want to be obsessed with food etc. The band has just made me more obsessed because not only am I still insane about food but i still think of it 24/7 with the added component of the band - is it ok in me, am i pbing too much, am i properly restricted, can i eat today, this meal, oh it is endless.

if i was skinny now i'd say who cares but since i'm not this damn thing comes out this month. i wish i had saved my almost 15K and went to hawaii for a few months or a fat camp for 6 months.

No doc i know keeps stats on failures and there arent many of us out there - no one really wants to hear our story

Everyone's experience is different. I was a lower bmi (35) patient and have only lost 14lbs in two years - doing all things i was told to do plus some. I wanted the band to help me be a 'natural eater' which to me is someone who enjoys a wide range of food in small quantitites with a treat here and there. I did not want to be obsessed with food etc. The band has just made me more obsessed because not only am I still insane about food but i still think of it 24/7 with the added component of the band - is it ok in me, am i pbing too much, am i properly restricted, can i eat today, this meal, oh it is endless.

if i was skinny now i'd say who cares but since i'm not this damn thing comes out this month. i wish i had saved my almost 15K and went to hawaii for a few months or a fat camp for 6 months.

No doc i know keeps stats on failures and there arent many of us out there - no one really wants to hear our story

I for one believe your story is neccessary!! I may be wrong but I think some people have the following attitude:

If you have a weight problem you already know there isn't any EASY, fix so they don't see value in talking about bad things.

Also some people have hung all their hope in this method and resist any talk that there may be a problem or they made a bad decision.

Some probably feel that people who have bad experiance are just giving up and could probably be helped if they connected with the right Dr etc.

I will say I have had about a 95% positive experience with the band. I feel it is neccesary to participate and give back to this forum.

I would hope that I was brave enough to report back if my experience were not successful.

I for one applaud and welcome your feedback, I think it is the only way people searching for their solution, will be able to make an informed decision.

I do not know what measures you have tried in order to get a successful result I am guessing you have tried just about everything, but I also believe that info would be helpful too, and who knows someone out there might be able to help you out afterall!

Thank You for your post!

JC

Hey JC.

I really appreciate your warmth and support - I am in need of it today. I recently broke up with my boyfriend of 14 years and my band has tightened up so much I can hardly eat at all - I'm trying liquids for two days and I may be headed back to mexico for an unfill or worse a slip. Yes, I have tried everything but i still plan to find a youngish woman endocrinologist (suggested to me by a nurse at lapbandtalk.com) when I have insurance again. I am willing to pay anyone up to $15,000 IF they can help me - I won't pay if they can't as I'm complaint as hell and can't keep throwing money away.

But to answer your questions - I have food diaries for over 14 months although i don't do it anymore - i've given up

I snow skied in the winter 5-7 times a week very strenuously for 3-6 hours

I took a boot camp class at the gym

I lift weights 3 times a week

I walk back and forth to work (about 30 minutes each way)

I've varied my calories from 600-1500

I don't Blame the band cuz that's stupid - it should work wouldn't you think?? But because of all the above - having the band makes me crazy - i thank god every day i told no one except my boyfriend - the shame and scrutiny would have sent me over the brink.

I will have it out soon so no need to get myself all worked up but you are right - we 'failures' only post for so long - we eventually skulk away in our shame and despair.

Hey JC.

I really appreciate your warmth and support - I am in need of it today. I recently broke up with my boyfriend of 14 years and my band has tightened up so much I can hardly eat at all - I'm trying liquids for two days and I may be headed back to mexico for an unfill or worse a slip. Yes, I have tried everything but i still plan to find a youngish woman endocrinologist (suggested to me by a nurse at lapbandtalk.com) when I have insurance again. I am willing to pay anyone up to $15,000 IF they can help me - I won't pay if they can't as I'm complaint as hell and can't keep throwing money away.

But to answer your questions - I have food diaries for over 14 months although i don't do it anymore - i've given up

I don't Blame the band cuz that's stupid - it should work wouldn't you think?? But because of all the above - having the band makes me crazy - i thank god every day i told no one except my boyfriend - the shame and scrutiny would have sent me over the brink.

I will have it out soon so no need to get myself all worked up but you are right - we 'failures' only post for so long - we eventually skulk away in our shame and despair.

I can't tell you how bad I feel for you. I will keep you in my prayers. I do hope you will find something to help you!!

JC

Hey JC.

dietingqueen,

I too feel so bad for you. The money, time, effort, agony, obsessions, journals, stress, up and downs is very physcological. All of those things alone take major energy to deal with. I wish you all the best with your decision, especially the peace you deserve.

Teri

I'm very sorry to hear of your results. What does it cost to have the band removed? Is it the same as for putting it in?

Actually, all docs must keep stats on failures. They may not publicize them, but keeping complication rates and failure rates is mandated by Inamed. You can usually get them by asking the Doctor. Failing that, you can request the information from Inamed.

Congrats, Pammie - break a leg !!!

Please keep us posted -- we'll certainly be thinking of you! Are you going local

or are you going back to TJ ?? Just getting prepped for my turn !

Great luck to you!!

Lisa

HOWDY LISA.

I ENDED UP STAYING LOCAL FOR THE TT AND LIPO ON THE FLANKS. I'M A LITTLE LOOPY YET BUT IN NO PAIN, THANKS GOD FOR GOOD DRUGS LOL. HAD MY FIRST APPOINTMENT ON SATURDAY, DR SAID EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD. I JUST NEED TO STAY DOWN FOR A FEW WEEKS, MAKE SURE EVERYTHINGS HEALING :)

HOWDY LISA.

I ENDED UP STAYING LOCAL FOR THE TT AND LIPO ON THE FLANKS. I'M A LITTLE LOOPY YET BUT IN NO PAIN, THANKS GOD FOR GOOD DRUGS LOL. HAD MY FIRST APPOINTMENT ON SATURDAY, DR SAID EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD. I JUST NEED TO STAY DOWN FOR A FEW WEEKS, MAKE SURE EVERYTHINGS HEALING :)

Keep us updated Pammie, I hope you get great results. I'm surprised you needed a tuck since starting around 190's in weight. Anyway, how was it, and best of wishes on healing well.

Teri

HOWDY LISA.

Fantastic, Pammie!

I"m very happy for you - how exciting !! I wish you speedy wonderful healing !

And "better living through chemistry" is one of my favorite things ! Enjoy --

Lisa