Pain meds over the border?

:-? Hey all,

I was wondering where you can buy pain meds in Mexico that are over the counter and what kinds are available? Also, is it ok to bring them back safely into the US? How much are they and so on?

The reason I am asking is I have been reading that you are only given a few pain pills after surgery and a couple months ago, I read that someone was given a liquid pain med that, unfortunately, spilled into her luggage because the cap came open. So, I am not sure how things are now, but I usually take vicodin at home and was thinking about maybe getting some liquid pain meds over the counter if they exist. My doc won't give me anything else because I am on a contract with those, so I am on my own.

Thanks for all replies. ;)

Judy

:-? Hey all,

I was wondering where you can buy pain meds in Mexico that are over the counter and what kinds are available? Also, is it ok to bring them back safely into the US? How much are they and so on?

The reason I am asking is I have been reading that you are only given a few pain pills after surgery and a couple months ago, I read that someone was given a liquid pain med that, unfortunately, spilled into her luggage because the cap came open. So, I am not sure how things are now, but I usually take vicodin at home and was thinking about maybe getting some liquid pain meds over the counter if they exist. My doc won't give me anything else because I am on a contract with those, so I am on my own.

Thanks for all replies. ;)

Judy

Across from the Lucerna is a pharmacy called 'Farmacia Especiales' or similar. Dr. Martinez vouched for the reputation of this business to me. Their prices are good, a discount given for cash, and the meds are authentic and real.

Be warned, purchasing controlled substances (addictive meds) in Mexico is illegal without a script. However, Toradol, which is a totally acceptible and effective non-narcotic pain reliever is available. I also like to purchase antibiotics (Bactrim, Cipro, Amox, Azithromycin, etc.) in Mexico. I have crossed the border many times with these meds. I have heard also that crossing with 50 or less doses of a controlled substance is allowed by Customs. Some states have laws against this, but Border Agents are Federal officers, and do not enforce state law.

I have read that some pharmacies have an 'affiliated' doc on the premises that will give you a script for controlled drugs for a small fee. I have no idea which pharmacies may have this arrangement.

Hope this helps.

Across from the Lucerna is a pharmacy called 'Farmacia Especiales' or similar. Dr. Martinez vouched for the reputation of this business to me. Their prices are good, a discount given for cash, and the meds are authentic and real.

Be warned, purchasing controlled substances (addictive meds) in Mexico is illegal without a script. However, Toradol, which is a totally acceptible and effective non-narcotic pain reliever is available. I also like to purchase antibiotics (Bactrim, Cipro, Amox, Azithromycin, etc.) in Mexico. I have crossed the border many times with these meds. I have heard also that crossing with 50 or less doses of a controlled substance is allowed by Customs. Some states have laws against this, but Border Agents are Federal officers, and do not enforce state law.

I have read that some pharmacies have an 'affiliated' doc on the premises that will give you a script for controlled drugs for a small fee. I have no idea which pharmacies may have this arrangement.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Greg for the info. It was very informative. A couple more questions though about what exactly are you given from Dr. Ortiz in regards to pain medication? Are you given only a few sublingual pain pills and another script for a liquid, or are you given a liquid in the beginning? Can you fill or refill a script before you leave Mexico? I don't believe to be in alot or much pain, but just in case, I would like to be prepared.

Thanks again Greg.

Judy

Thanks Greg for the info. It was very informative. A couple more questions though about what exactly are you given from Dr. Ortiz in regards to pain medication? Are you given only a few sublingual pain pills and another script for a liquid, or are you given a liquid in the beginning? Can you fill or refill a script before you leave Mexico? I don't believe to be in alot or much pain, but just in case, I would like to be prepared.

Thanks again Greg.

Judy

OCC gives you 4 sublingual Toradols. They do not give narcotics, as narcs tend to induce vomiting, which increases the risk of a slip, especially immediately after surgery. I was not given any script for liquid pain killer. When they refer to liquid pain killer, they usually are talking about liquid Tylenol.

After only getting 4 Toradols, I promptly went to the aforementioned pharmacy, and purchased 16 more. I discovered, however, that the 4 tablets were sufficient for me. I had little to no post-op pain.