Mexico packing tips?

I'm making a checklist for what all I need to pack for Mexico. Does anyone have any tips? Anything you took that was not obvious? Anything you wish you had taken?

Lots of reading material, lol :) I read in the OCC, the hotel and the airport (they tend to get you there early). Also take some of the packets that go into water and liquid medications if you need them. And don't forget to take all the phone numbers of the OCC with you.

Best of luck :)

Lots of reading material, lol :) I read in the OCC, the hotel and the airport (they tend to get you there early). Also take some of the packets that go into water and liquid medications if you need them. And don't forget to take all the phone numbers of the OCC with you.

Best of luck :)

Thanks FurEllie, that really helps to know we need reading material. What about like ipods or video games? Are they allowed? Also, do you have any idea of how much you are allowed to carry on the airline? My mom and I don't want to check any baggage even though we have to meet our driver there. One less thing to worry about too. ;)

Thanks bunches!

Judy

Thanks FurEllie, that really helps to know we need reading material. What about like ipods or video games? Are they allowed? Also, do you have any idea of how much you are allowed to carry on the airline? My mom and I don't want to check any baggage even though we have to meet our driver there. One less thing to worry about too. ;)

Thanks bunches!

Judy

I am writing this from the computer station here in hospital after just having my lap band done a few hours ago. everything went great...everyone is so friendly, and the place is immaculate...cleaner than in the states. They have most things you would need- but reading material, ipods, games (all stuff I brought as well) really help.The hotel room is fabulous and already has an iron, ironing board, and hairdryer in it, along with soap, shampoo, show shine kit and shower cap! There are 2 restaurants in the hotel open until midnight- so you can get something to eat whenever- and there is room service. The TV in the hotel has cable wich is a mix of Spanish and American TV- has HBO and Cinemax, as well as standard American primetime networks. The TV in the hosital is DirectTv and has all the channels. Each person with their own private room and TV. I have my cell phone (Cingular) and it works just fine. I did bring my laptop with a Cingular PC card- and it has not been able to work yet- but only tried it once.

Thanks bunches!

Judy

Just remember the flight restrictions on liquids: no more than 3 oz containers. So if you're planning on taking juice, gatorade, even liquid Tylenol, you'll have to have them in containers less than 3 oz and put those in a clear 1 qt ziploc bag. I couldn't meet those restrictions, so I'm going to check in my bag even though it's light enough to normally carry on board. For more details on the 3-1-1 restrictions, see http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

I suggest if you will be by yourself to pack VERY light. Will someone be helping you carry luggage? If I didn't have hubby, I don't know what I woulda done about all my souveniers and stuff. I could not have lifted those suitcases on my own. (my purse even seemed heavier lol)

Not sure if you or family will be making any calls, but from the hotel it is like $2.00 a minute. I had wished I had one of those $5.00 calling cards you can get at gas stations and such here in the states. The cell phones have a full signal and accept incoming calls but we couldn't make outgoing calls. You will be able to call for free from the hospital but not the hotel.

Everyone already mentioned everything else I would suggest...maybe a pair of flip-flops for your room. They do give you slip-over shoe cover things but they aren't real shoes. Take maybe a sweatshirt for chilly plane rides and evenings, reading material and that's it.

You are allowed one quart size bag of 3 oz or less liquids in your carry on. If you check it in you can have 2 pieces per person up to 50 lbs. each!! Good luck!!

I suggest if you will be by yourself to pack VERY light. Will someone be helping you carry luggage? If I didn't have hubby, I don't know what I woulda done about all my souveniers and stuff. I could not have lifted those suitcases on my own. (my purse even seemed heavier lol)

Not sure if you or family will be making any calls, but from the hotel it is like $2.00 a minute. I had wished I had one of those $5.00 calling cards you can get at gas stations and such here in the states. The cell phones have a full signal and accept incoming calls but we couldn't make outgoing calls. You will be able to call for free from the hospital but not the hotel.

Everyone already mentioned everything else I would suggest...maybe a pair of flip-flops for your room. They do give you slip-over shoe cover things but they aren't real shoes. Take maybe a sweatshirt for chilly plane rides and evenings, reading material and that's it.

You are allowed one quart size bag of 3 oz or less liquids in your carry on. If you check it in you can have 2 pieces per person up to 50 lbs. each!! Good luck!!

Also remember Tijuana is next to the ocean, it can get cloudy and chilly. I brought to many shorts. My nextel/sprint cell did not work. If you check in a suitcase you dont have to worry sizes of bottles and liquids. The driver Francisco (I think that's his name)always picked up my suitcase to load in the van is very nice (tips welcomed). Sue B)

Agree with the others - pack VERY light. You really don't need that much. Unless you're flying into MX directly, you can take whatever you normally take on an airplane. Since my recent trips have been 2 days, I haven't been taking more than a carry on. SO much easier. Just put your liquids in a separate bag for carry on and as other said, no more then 3oz. There are plenty of places to buy water/Gatorade/etc. inside the SD airport for your ride back.

iPods and stuff are OK - I have a small video player I've taken down and I've seen several people with their laptops.

Most cell companies require you to activate Mexico calling so if you haven't and want to use your cell, do that. You can also make free calls from the clinic :)