First Fill Trip in Tj

I just returned from my first Fill in TJ. I live on the East Coast, so it was an expense to return, but I wanted my first (if not all, how ever many I end up needing) to be where I was banded. Francisco picked me up exactly on time, and dropped me off at the Lucerna again. TIP: Go on their website and send the manager an email - make your reservations thru them, mentioning that you are an OCC patient. The rate is $80 per night - and is $129, or so if you do it on your own. Mrs. Ortiz picked us up in the lobby and we were delivered to the OCC. So good to see them again - its been 6 weeks and 3 days. Dr. LaCosta (?), who was there all day AND all night of my surgery, did my fill. I was more nervous about this than the surgery ! He told me it didnt hurt, but how could that be? Long needle in the belly ??!!?? Well, he's right, of course! It totally did not hurt and it was extra cool to see my band on the monitor !!! He flushed the band - which felt very funny but did not hurt, then I sipped the pink flouro-juice (tasteless), and you watch it go thru - so cool - then I got my 1.7cc's and we got to watch that ! It has taken me longer to type this report than it took for my fill. I went shopping on Revolucion' Ave for a little while then went back to Lucerna. Walked about 2 miles - another TIP: I left Lucerna and turned right - cross the street and about 8-10 minutes up on your left is a large grocery store. I bought CLIGHT (Mexican version of Crystal Light) - the Pina Colada flavor is so delicious!!! Went back this trip and bought about 15 more. There are 2 flavors I have no idea what they are =

Another TIP - if you are jonesing for good coffee - try the BUZZ BUZZ (?) - its again out of Lucerna, turn right - cross street - its only 2 blocks down and they have outdoor seating at the roundabout. Great people watching!

So I'm FILLED ! I admit I've snuck some food, even tho I'm supposed to be on liquids till tomorrow - I've been distractingly hungry 2x. I'll try and only do liquids till tomorrow.

Bottom line: Don't sweat the fill. There's nothing to it -- its all gain!

Be well.

I think I paid about $74USD when Rene made my reservations for me at Lucerna - I could be off a few $$$ though.

Is Dr. Romero not doing the fills anymore? He said he was training to be a surgical Dr. but I told him he had to AT LEAST still do my fills!

I am a HUGE baby (I don't look at the needle at all) and with 2 fills and an unfill, it's never hurt more than a tiny little pinch. The professional way they do it has me scared to try anywhere else and like you, I'm on the east coast so it's a 2 day trip.

Wow! Lisa. Way to go on your first fill! It is so awesome that I found your post because I was just looking around the net to see if I could find some cheap fares and was thinking of posting a question to see if we banders could get a discount at the Lucerna through OCC if we wanted to come back and stay there a night after a fill. I REALLY want to have my first fill there so bad and at least stay at the Lucerna at least one night. I am in Oregon and so far the fares are not too cheap for the time I would get my first fill. I was looking at the second week of July which would put me at 8 weeks. Is that too late, or should I come sooner.

That would be so great if I could come back and stay at the Lucerna again for my first fill. :)

Thanks for posting about your experience. I am so excited now. WOOHOO!

Peace,

Judy

Wow! Lisa. Way to go on your first fill! It is so awesome that I found your post because I was just looking around the net to see if I could find some cheap fares and was thinking of posting a question to see if we banders could get a discount at the Lucerna through OCC if we wanted to come back and stay there a night after a fill. I REALLY want to have my first fill there so bad and at least stay at the Lucerna at least one night. I am in Oregon and so far the fares are not too cheap for the time I would get my first fill. I was looking at the second week of July which would put me at 8 weeks. Is that too late, or should I come sooner.

That would be so great if I could come back and stay at the Lucerna again for my first fill. :)

Thanks for posting about your experience. I am so excited now. WOOHOO!

Peace,

Judy

Judy -

DEF go to TJ for your fill! (and I LOVE the Lucerna, but thats just my preference).

My fill is so on the money! I was filled on Thursday morning and home Sat. morning.

I went to my aunt & uncle's house for dinner Monday night, and boy did I know I was

filled!!! I ate literally one third of what I normally would have consumed and if I did not

chew really well, it let me know ! And I was full for hours!!! GOD I LOVE THIS BAND!!!

(I also lost 5 pounds from Thursday to Monday)

I think if you got great rates at 8 weeks, that would be fine. Its not a hard and fast rule -

it just worked out for me at 6.

Great luck to you!

Lisa

Thanks very much for this info, Lisa. It's very helpful and much appreciated.

You are very welcome, NW !

Great luck to you ! You'll be eating soon -- now that I'm 7 weeks out from surgery,

that time of only drinking is like a blur -- keep your eyes on the horizon !

Take care --

Lisa

Lisa I am due for my fill next week and am from Texas and decided to go back to TJ for my 1st fill because I want to make sure everything is OK after surgery. I really appreciated reading your post since I really didn't know what to expect. I went for surgery by myself and will also be traveling alone for the fill. Thanks for the post

Judy -

DEF go to TJ for your fill! (and I LOVE the Lucerna, but thats just my preference).

My fill is so on the money! I was filled on Thursday morning and home Sat. morning.

I went to my aunt & uncle's house for dinner Monday night, and boy did I know I was

filled!!! I ate literally one third of what I normally would have consumed and if I did not

chew really well, it let me know ! And I was full for hours!!! GOD I LOVE THIS BAND!!!

(I also lost 5 pounds from Thursday to Monday)

I think if you got great rates at 8 weeks, that would be fine. Its not a hard and fast rule -

it just worked out for me at 6.

Great luck to you!

Lisa

Hey Lisa,

I so want to go back to TJ for my first fill. There are a couple of gals going and sharing costs of the ride and the hotel. Unless I win big at bingo, I won't be able to go. ;) LOL For now, I have an appt. with a fill doctor here, but it's not under flouro. I have heard alot of greats things about her and she hasn't missed once.

I can't wait to eat. I have the VG band and feel like it is ready to take solids. But, I am being good. It so sucks though! I thought I was three weeks out already, but in reality it is only two. I am down 35 lbs. since my pre-op diet and banding, so that's good. I am running out of things to drink and stay nourished. IT's getting sooo old.

Ok...I am done whining now. I know to keep thinking about the near future. I just keep thinking about by the time my birthday comes around, I can go to Olive Garden and get a full meal and eat on it for several days. :)) Don't worry, I will make sure it is fairly healthy enough. But I will have my tiramisu for sure...even though only a couple bites. ;)

Good luck and congrats on your continued success!

Judy

I just returned from my first Fill in TJ. I live on the East Coast, so it was an expense to return, but I wanted my first (if not all, how ever many I end up needing) to be where I was banded. Francisco picked me up exactly on time, and dropped me off at the Lucerna again. TIP: Go on their website and send the manager an email - make your reservations thru them, mentioning that you are an OCC patient. The rate is $80 per night - and is $129, or so if you do it on your own. Mrs. Ortiz picked us up in the lobby and we were delivered to the OCC. So good to see them again - its been 6 weeks and 3 days. Dr. LaCosta (?), who was there all day AND all night of my surgery, did my fill. I was more nervous about this than the surgery ! He told me it didnt hurt, but how could that be? Long needle in the belly ??!!?? Well, he's right, of course! It totally did not hurt and it was extra cool to see my band on the monitor !!! He flushed the band - which felt very funny but did not hurt, then I sipped the pink flouro-juice (tasteless), and you watch it go thru - so cool - then I got my 1.7cc's and we got to watch that ! It has taken me longer to type this report than it took for my fill. I went shopping on Revolucion' Ave for a little while then went back to Lucerna. Walked about 2 miles - another TIP: I left Lucerna and turned right - cross the street and about 8-10 minutes up on your left is a large grocery store. I bought CLIGHT (Mexican version of Crystal Light) - the Pina Colada flavor is so delicious!!! Went back this trip and bought about 15 more. There are 2 flavors I have no idea what they are =

Another TIP - if you are jonesing for good coffee - try the BUZZ BUZZ (?) - its again out of Lucerna, turn right - cross street - its only 2 blocks down and they have outdoor seating at the roundabout. Great people watching!

So I'm FILLED ! I admit I've snuck some food, even tho I'm supposed to be on liquids till tomorrow - I've been distractingly hungry 2x. I'll try and only do liquids till tomorrow.

Be well.

Be well.

Hi Lisa,

I live in Waldorf MD and I was wondering how much did it cost for everything to get back to MX. I would love to go back for my fill. I love the staff there. I was also thinking about taking my husband just for a weekend get away. Are you going back to MX for the next fill. Please keep in touch. I would love to have a travel partner. Please email me at Shavonne_Moore@yahoo.com with your reply.

Lisa I am due for my fill next week and am from Texas and decided to go back to TJ for my 1st fill because I want to make sure everything is OK after surgery. I really appreciated reading your post since I really didn't know what to expect. I went for surgery by myself and will also be traveling alone for the fill. Thanks for the post

You're very welcome ! thats what makes this board so great -- I knew exactly what to expect both for surgery and fill - altho I just couldnt wrap my head around the fill - how could that not hurt ? everyone is right - it does NOT hurt! Drawing blood and shots are more painful, and they don't really hurt at all! Its easy. I, too, went alone - both for surgery and fill. You'll be fine! Take care --- Lisa

Hey Lisa,

I so want to go back to TJ for my first fill. There are a couple of gals going and sharing costs of the ride and the hotel. Unless I win big at bingo, I won't be able to go. ;) LOL For now, I have an appt. with a fill doctor here, but it's not under flouro. I have heard alot of greats things about her and she hasn't missed once.

I can't wait to eat. I have the VG band and feel like it is ready to take solids. But, I am being good. It so sucks though! I thought I was three weeks out already, but in reality it is only two. I am down 35 lbs. since my pre-op diet and banding, so that's good. I am running out of things to drink and stay nourished. IT's getting sooo old.

Ok...I am done whining now. I know to keep thinking about the near future. I just keep thinking about by the time my birthday comes around, I can go to Olive Garden and get a full meal and eat on it for several days. :)) Don't worry, I will make sure it is fairly healthy enough. But I will have my tiramisu for sure...even though only a couple bites. ;)

Good luck and congrats on your continued success!

Judy

35 pounds!! Isnt that great !!??!! Good for you, Judy !! Once you get past this liquid stage, you'll soon forget how tough it was --- great luck to you !!!

Lisa

35 pounds!! Isnt that great !!??!! Good for you, Judy !! Once you get past this liquid stage, you'll soon forget how tough it was --- great luck to you !!!

Lisa

Lisa Hi its Angela we were banded the same day. I am scheduled for a fill monday.Itsnot at the occ though could not afford air fare.so i am going to Jersey> I am a little scared because its not the occ but they do have flouro so I am pretty confident. Thanx for the great post as usual

Lisa Hi its Angela we were banded the same day. I am scheduled for a fill monday.Itsnot at the occ though could not afford air fare.so i am going to Jersey> I am a little scared because its not the occ but they do have flouro so I am pretty confident. Thanx for the great post as usual

Hey, Angela !! how are ya ??? don't sweat it, you'll be fine --- the only reason I could afford it was because I booked my airfare before I left for my surgery! it doesnt hurt at all and Jersey will

be great == in fact, I'd like to know for the future !

Well, after saying I wouldn't PB - I've done it 3 times now. Holy crap that hurts! Today was a public place - luckily I made it to the bathroom (twice!) I've been going Mach 2 with my hair on fire all week - 12+ hour days at work, 2 and 3 hours at home at night - and I'm just not slowing down enough to chew and its done exactly as designed and sent it right back up to me !

I'm sure my tablemates spent their whole ride back to their office wondering whats wrong with me.

Chew all ! I've said it before and apparently I wasnt listening !!!!

Best of luck - Angela, let me know how Jersey is !!!

Love,

Lisa

Hey, Angela !! how are ya ??? don't sweat it, you'll be fine --- the only reason I could afford it was because I booked my airfare before I left for my surgery! it doesnt hurt at all and Jersey will

be great == in fact, I'd like to know for the future !

Well, after saying I wouldn't PB - I've done it 3 times now. Holy crap that hurts! Today was a public place - luckily I made it to the bathroom (twice!) I've been going Mach 2 with my hair on fire all week - 12+ hour days at work, 2 and 3 hours at home at night - and I'm just not slowing down enough to chew and its done exactly as designed and sent it right back up to me !

I'm sure my tablemates spent their whole ride back to their office wondering whats wrong with me.

Chew all ! I've said it before and apparently I wasnt listening !!!!

Best of luck - Angela, let me know how Jersey is !!!

Love,

Lisa

Jersey was great. I was just filled so I don't really know how restricted I am. I am filled 2.2ccs. I am drinking clear liquids. Question when you were on the liquid phase did you do clear or did you have any kind of liquid. example tomato soup. :-?